Is it possible to uninstall Firefox while in Windows 7 guest account?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

We have a bunch of relatives coming to town for a wedding. Based on past experience (weddings) those without tablets will be all over this checking their mails, etc. Rather than having to secure "my" Firefox with a password or hide the tray icon (not real effective), is it possible to uninstall it from the guest account? Also, are accounts only accessible at boot? If not, how do you toggle between them? Thank you!

2. fax

fax Registered Member

You mean a newly created limited user account in win7? As Guest account in windows is normally warmly reccomended to keep it OFF (Best practise).
    Create a limited user account from CP --> user accounts. This account will not be able to uninstall or install any program.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for the reply! I was just checking back in to edit. I found "Switch User" (Start>Shut Down>Switch User) which goes right to the guest account and which only has IE. Everything else there pretty much non existent or not accessible. To get back to the main account you need to enter the password so I'm good to go.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Linux Live CD - Firefox is Firefox if you meant this.

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

1. In your footnote you have CTM. If it's Comodo Time Machine then just return to a previuos snapshot. Make password to the CTM.

2. If you use SUA or a Guest account just make password to the Administrator account.

3. NO STRANGERS TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT!!!

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

That is not what that article recommends, which is not to keep it off, but to only enable it when its needed.
    Sounds like a perfect situation, according to the article you linked to, to enable the guest account:

"Disable the guest account if you don’t use it. The guest account is disabled by default, but it might be worthwhile to double-check this. When you enable the Guest account occasionally, make sure that you disable it when it's not being used. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.