Is it possible to install Android over iOS on an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by pajenn, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Question: Is it possible to install (flash) android OS (v3.2 for example), over the iOS v5.1 present on an iPad 2 and should the tablet work fine afterwards in terms of hardware compatibility, etc. If yes, how can I do it?

Motivation:
    I have an iPad with a broken screen that works well otherwise, but just looks busted ugly. It's sort of a freebie in that insurance paid for it (or for a new one) because the screen was unrepairable (or would have been more expensive to repair than buying a new iPad), but I'd like to install Android 3.2 on it because I have that on another (Samsung) tablet and find it much more flexible with more features. For me at least it's easier to access from Windows (no need for iTunes BS, I just plug it in and access it like a USB drive a la Droid Explorer), I can use it as a Wireless (3G) Hotspot for my laptop when no other networks are available, it can play flash content, and I can watch almost all media files (avi, mkv, mp4, etc.) on it (with free MoboPlayer) without a need to convert them to special iPad formats.

2. x942

x942 Guest

Possible.. Yes. Has it been done? Not on anything recent. If you really wanted to I'm sure you could port that work over to the newer hardware. Hexxah had it running on the first iPad but never released it.

In theory as long as the device has a hardware exploit (in the bootrom/CPU) you can do it. But there would be a LOT of reverse engineering and porting to get it down. Your better off selling the iPad and buying a new android tab. (The mainboards alone go for ~$300 on ebay).

3. tancrackers

tancrackers Registered Member

It has been done in the iphone. I imagine that it would too be possible on an ipad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.