is it ok to update 5.0.95.0 to 6.0.316.0 via the built in updater?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

Any problem with updating 5.0.95.0 to 6.0.316.0 via the built in updater? I've never done it like that, always removed whatever version I had, and installed from scratch. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. If I do it oldschool, is just an uninstall with Windows 7 sufficient? Thanks!

2. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

3. acillatem

It''s fairly safe to do that now? There was a time when it caused problems, that's why I ask. :)

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey acillatem.

It is okay/safe as Siljaline writes ,to install over the top of a previous version.:)
    Have done it without running into issues. But personally, I have heard about problems, when installing over the top. But those update issues was all related to, that the user had other security softwafe running real -time, while Eset were updating to a newer version...... I can tell you what I would do. If you are going from a version 5x to 6x, then I would uninstall Eset, reboot and install from there (clean install). If it is a version update, let us say from 6x to 6.1x then I would just update over the top.

Hope it helps, regards Janus

5. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

If Janus is correct in saying there have been install over-top problems, you would then export your settings, uninstall - reboot, perform a fresh install.
    Import your settings from the XML file and you would be set and forget, less updating to the current virus signature defs.

6. acillatem

Ok....thanks to you both!

7. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

You're welcome for the assistance. When you have a moment - please let us know how things went in more detail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.