Is it normal that iexplore.exe sometimes uses more than 100 MB off memory?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Niels, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Dear,

I am currently using Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 Dutch version.

What I already have tried is:

disabling some add-ons. Sometimes that reduces the memory usage off Internet Explorer but not if I open 4 tabs with on 1 off the tabs youtube or a similar site is loaded than the memory usage and page file usage increases.

Does somebody else know if this is normal? Even if this is normal can somebody else can say me what I can do else for reducing the memory usage? The reason is that I only have 512 mb memory inside my computer.

Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards,
    Niels

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Mine is using 63mb with only Wilders loaded.

Obviously when more active tabs containing sites are loaded,mem usage will accelerate,for example with ten tabs,usage is 93mb.

You might want to check out another lighter app. like K meleon and see if that helps.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You would need ro state some figures (RAM used) as to what you consider to be "high memery usage". Youtube and such load a bunch of stuff, players, codecs and all kinds of interactive content so it is only expected that this will drain some resources.

fwiw, mine is 52 megs with 4 tabs opened.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mine uses 80-90mb ram in Vista. I wouldn't worry about it, you'll probably never have a problem, if free ram gets down low, something will give, and more will become available. I have never ever run out of ram on my older PC with 512mb, regardless of what apps were hogging memory.

If you want a lighter browser, use Opera or K-Meleon. Both are lighter and faster than IE.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I use IE6 (only when FireFox doesn't work) and since I installed SP3, I saw an increase in RAM usage. Now it uses ~70 MB, just one window open.

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

@ Hairy Coo:
    I tried Firefox and even when I opened 4 tabs including youtube the memory usage never increased 44 MB. I will also try what you suggested. Thanks for your explanation.

@Seer:
    For me more than 90 mb for a browser is too much.Thanks for you explanation off possible causes. But the strange thing is sometimes I can open more than 5 tabs and the memory usage is between 40 and 60 MB. But at that moment youtube wasn't opened.

@Kerodo: Thanks for your suggestions and reply.

@HURST:
    I also have service pack 3 installed. Thanks. In the past I didn't noticed that high memory usage.

Thanks everybody for the confirmation now I know that the high memory usage sometimes isn't only related on my computer.

7. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hello everybody,
    # Niels : see for thread : " TIPTOP !!! EXTREME SPEED WITH AUTOMATIC ADJUSTMENT of Windows MEMORY : Process Lasso " on Wilders / Software services , and for Sysinternals Forums / Windows discussions ...
    Best Regards , PROROOTECT:D

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Speak in English, please. o_O

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I think he means this thread

10. Niels

Niels Registered Member

@PROROOTECT: Thanks for the suggestion. But I don't think that will solve my problem because from what I understand off the description it's only for resolving high cpu usage. Internet explorer in my case has only the high memory usage.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Niels, with RAM being so cheap today (at least here in the U.S.), is the cost of RAM in Belgium very high? An extra 512 MB stick could solve a lot of problems.

12. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I agree. But his computer (laptop/desktop?) might not be able to take in any more RAM.

13. Niels

Niels Registered Member

@JRViejo and ambient_88

In the past I had troubles with placing more memory. I even gave my computer to the store where I bought my computer but my computer witch is an HP Pavilion w5050.be refused to detect the new placed additional memory.
    Here where I live most off the hardware and computers are more expensive than in other European countries.

I will test now a freeware tool called Minimem to see if I can reduce the iexplore.exe ram and page file usage. Here you can download it:
    http://minimem.kerkia.net/Download.aspx

14. Niels

Niels Registered Member

To my surprise minimem worked great to reduce the memory usage off iexplore.exe to 40 mb when I had 7 tabs opened with one playing a youtube movie.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Niels, that's great news and I'm sure that program could help others in the same situation with minimum RAM.

FYI. HP Pavilion w5050.be Desktop PC and of importance is the topic Upgrading Memory (RAM) and "What to do if problems occur after installing memory" section.

16. Niels

Niels Registered Member

JRViejo,

Thanks again for you reply. I will take a look at the links you gave me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.