Is it necessary/possible to create TrueCrypt Rescue Disk for non-system partition?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by blainefry, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blainefry

blainefry Registered Member

From what I've read it doesn't sound like it's even possible. Obviously if it's not a system partition you don't have to worry about a boot loader, but I'm curious about the master key.

I remember reading that file containers store all the necessary info in a couple of different places within the file itself, so it's pretty hard to get a messed up container file.

But I'm curious about non-system partitions. Is there a way to back up the master key and other critical encryption data so they can be restored in case they are damaged or corrupted? Is there much of a risk for that?

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

For non-system disks you want to create a volume header backup. Its a must have if you are serious about keeping the data in the non-system volumes safe. The file is very small at 128K, but it contains header key data that you cannot recreate if you mess it up.

There is a high risk of header damage on some configurations. e.g. - a non-system disk device encrypted and the user carelessly uses a Windows Install disk on the system disk. Windows will almost always wreck something on those encrypted containers when they share the same drive surface as the C drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.