Is it necessary/possible to create TrueCrypt Rescue Disk for non-system partition?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by blainefry, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blainefry

blainefry Registered Member

From what I've read it doesn't sound like it's even possible. Obviously if it's not a system partition you don't have to worry about a boot loader, but I'm curious about the master key.

I remember reading that file containers store all the necessary info in a couple of different places within the file itself, so it's pretty hard to get a messed up container file.

But I'm curious about non-system partitions. Is there a way to back up the master key and other critical encryption data so they can be restored in case they are damaged or corrupted? Is there much of a risk for that?

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

For non-system disks you want to create a volume header backup. Its a must have if you are serious about keeping the data in the non-system volumes safe. The file is very small at 128K, but it contains header key data that you cannot recreate if you mess it up.

There is a high risk of header damage on some configurations. e.g. - a non-system disk device encrypted and the user carelessly uses a Windows Install disk on the system disk. Windows will almost always wreck something on those encrypted containers when they share the same drive surface as the C drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.