Is it just me or is chrome much snappier than Firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Only for mobile, so fennec info was correct, how is FF going to keep up with stability, security and speed when they killed electrolysis (no electrolysis = no out of process & no sandboxing & no multi process). It will be an endless optimization of the old core code to trim the fat and gain some performance improvements. Luckily for Firefox there are still people who know for sure Firefox is snappier on their system (which is well possible on single core systems with no hyper threading and enough RAM)

Allthough fennec has some goodies of electrolysis it is much slower than default Android browser, so on mobile there is also a coding back log which is a big challenge to overcome IMO (even greater with chrome for android coming out soon).

Firefox OS has substantial support from Chinese hardware (smartphone) and telco vendors. May be that will offer some opportunities, time will tell. Any future domination in the Chinese smartphone market will quantum leap FF in user numbers. So maybe FF will come back in the future.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I haven't used Firefox in years, been a Chrome user since it's first beta days. :D

3. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Yes, i believe that, Electrolysis would definitely make the firefox snappier, but the amount of effort to complete it is much larger than the other smaller areas where it would bring responsive improvements in a shorter term.
    Source lawrencemandel blog
    Also, the other improvements like snappy,memshrink,super snappy (if it launches as expected then definitely firefox would be more responsive for wider audience),IGC.. would not be waste of time at all as they have to be fixed even after electrolysis (i think i have read this from mozillazine blog, not able to get the source).

I am not sure i'm getting this. Woudn't the multi-core processor make the firefox more snappier than the users with single-core systems.

And i think firefox is more sensitive to themes,addons and games which might be the problem for other users..
    I guess i'm lucky to be happy and safe path user, i won't play games in browser nor a fan of applying themes ;) ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  4. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

if people are having slow start-up issues, you are encouraged to read below and submit the reports :)

3rd section

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Was just joking, because of its architectural advantages Chrome will beat FF on mult cores 95 out of 100 times in startup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.