is it a virus

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by melanie, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melanie

melanie Guest

[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow] :oops: hi, ive recently noticed that any jpeg i click on to have a look at on the net not any on my pc ..is distorted badly and i can hardly make it out ..so assuming ive opened a virus ive been to a few online scanners that have picked up nothing in my pc...what could this be?? any help wood be great

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Have found following article about jpeg-virussen:

"June 13, 2002
    First Reported JPEG Virus Found
    By Gretchen Hyman

The emergence of a new virus that infects JPEG files was announced Thursday by security firm Network Associates (Quote, Company Info) and other antivirus companies, which received the code as a possible warning of things to come from its creator, who has requested anonymity.

The W32/Perrun virus, as it is now being called, extracts data from JPEG files and then injects picture files with infected digital images. A fair warning to those individuals who are fond of sending multimedia files to friends and families.

What makes Perrun so remarkable, according to security experts, is that it is the first viral program with multiple parts and the ability to carry viral code from programs into data files. Until now, data files were relatively immune to infection. Not so anymore, say experts.

Typically, the virus arrives via email or a floppy disk as an executable file, and so the standard warning against opening programs sent as attachment should once again be enforced. The contaminated file unleashes an extractor virus onto the hard drive and when a picture file is accessed with the .JPG extension, the second part of the virus strikes without notice to the sender or receiver of the digital image file.

The good news is that security experts think Perrun can easily be thwarted in its current incarnation and at present it cannot travel via mass emailings. Although with an upgrade it could easily become more destructive and pose a serious threat to PC users.

Computers running on Microsoft Windows are particularly vulnerable to Perrun, say experts.

Vincent Gullotto, antivirus researcher for McAfee Security was quoted as saying that Perrun is indicative of a very destructive pattern in the development of viruses and that it could be a sign of things to come for the exchange of JPEG files."

Source: http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/10792_1365871

A decent virusscanner will find a possible jpeg-virus, besides that the security-risk has level "low".

Because you have already explained that your PC is scanned by several (online) virusscanners, and there are no positive results, I assume that you don't have to worry about a virus.

3. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi Melanie

If I understood right your pix are visible on your hard drive but not on net. Not a virus, more like messed up net browser, happens with M$....Haven´t you tried to fix your browser yet:
    1. click "start"
    2. settings
    3. control panel
    4. "add or remove" icon
    5. highlight your browser on the list and click on remove button
    6. it asks if you want to remove or fix, select fix
    7. you are able to choose which features should be fixed, as well you can select autom fix( recommended in this case )
    8. now it downloads all damaged partitions if needed and do as it says including possible reboot

I hope this will fix your picture problem, it is pain when that picture failure happens

regards ~Ari~

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi melanie,

From what Krusty posted, the option to fix Internet Explorer may also be called "Repair Internet Explorer". If it is a browser-only problem, this may certainly help.

Have you tried opening any images that are already located on your system? Are they okay?

Could you post a screen shot (a picture of what's being displayed on you screen) here that shows a badly displayed image? It might help if: 1. we can see what you are seeing, and 2. if what looks bad to you, also looks bad to us, or if only you can see it.

If you need instructions on how to get a screen shot from your system, and how to post an image here on the board, see this thread:

"FAQ: Screen Shots and Image Posting"
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5513

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi guys:

I had this happen ONCE to me a good while back on another system.
    It would not open and if it did, it was *fuzzy* pixelated like it opened way too large for the resolution size [Like you can do in Photoshop, enlarging an image above its resolution]

I had no idea what/when/where/why it happen.

The *fix* that I did was to open Windows Explorer
    Tools/Folder Options/File Types/select JPEG/Advanced/then click Set Default OK'ing all the way out.
    I had to do this 3 times as there are 3 JPEG listings on mine [JPE, JPG, JPEG]

Now, this worked for ME, it was a desperate stab in the dark but hey I never had trouble again.

This may/maynot have anything to do with melanie's troubles, but worth a shot.

Cheers, TAS

6. controler

controler Guest

is it possiable you changed your screen resolution?

right click on your desktop, then select properties, then settings asee what the resolution is.

800X 600 ect the larger the number, the better the quality image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.