Is it a good idea to disable Windows Exploit Protection settings in Windows?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spartan, May 15, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

If I am running a 3rd party Antivirus, is it a good idea to disable Windows Exploit Protection settings?

Would disabling it increase performance?

2022-05-16_074440.png

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

You should try the performance before and after.

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

You would have to test to check the difference.
    I would advise against disabling them permanently though. Most AV's with exploit protection don't seem to have real memory exploit mitigations, and even if they do, they are usually newer ones that protect against bypassing the standard ones. So the AV's rely on those, if you disable them, you're significantly reducing your protection against exploits.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

In my own testing it did not make a noticeable difference in performance. This does not make it absolutely true for everyone but my expectation would be that you won't notice a slowdown leaving it enabled. I leave it all at defaults.

5. Spartan

I've disabled it, didn't feel any difference in terms of system responsiveness/snappiness.

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

because those are no processes, those are features. disabling would harm your system with malware because they are security related. it would take too long to explain each feature, you should ask a webpage for explanation.

but in one case you are complete wrong - any other antivirus do not disable theses features. in fact it makes no sense to install another antivirus because defender is same strong as the most common used. in fact defender is stronger in parts because it has no vulnerable kernel driver, like avast, avg or kaspersky have or had.

malware do not need to act itself, it only needs a vulnerable kernel driver (which ofc has system/root rights) and act through that driver. epic fail.

7. Spartan

only...it's the slowest .... I've never felt my laptop slower than when it was with WD enabled. I feel like I just downgraded my laptop.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/?usertype=consumer&chart_chart=chart4&chart_year=2022&chart_month=4&chart_sort=1&chart_zoom=0

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i know that type of test. but the fact is also that it is a snap only. if you feel it makes your system slower, then your system must be a slow one, i do not notice any slowdown here with a quad core. but thats not topic here - you asked about important security features in windows and you got your answer(s).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.