Is Immunet any better now?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I am considering switching Prevx to Immunet, because since I have the free Prevx, it won't do much other than alert me. Also because Prevx has been bought by Webroot and is now becoming their Webroot Secure Anywhere.

So I was wondering if Immunet Free is good. I've heard it is bloated and has lots of FPs, but is it better now?

2. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Immunet Free isn't really bloated, just a resource hog. But personally, I would choose Prevx over Immunet Free because...

1) It is lighter.
    2) It is not limited in detection.
    3) Higher detection ratio.

3. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

Its good, but not good enough.

4. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Well said, clay. :thumb:

5. guest

guest Guest

And the network feature is just a gadget

6. Brandonn2010

I know Prevx's detection is better, but I ask because my Prevx won't actually block or remove anything other than adware.

7. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

So buy it.............:)

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Windows Defender should be lighter, but detection rate is another story. It contains removal, and light HIPS (like WinPatrol) if not on Windows 7.

There are some lesser known alternatives if you check my list.

9. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Just let Prevx detect and use something else to remove (or remove it yourself).

10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

:thumb:
    +1
    Yep. Find the location. Get process hacker and EAM. Go malware killing.

11. Brandonn2010

I have thought about EAM but the FP rate seems high. I think I will wait for version 6's open beta, since it will probably improve on that.

Also, InfinityAz, would you like me to change my avatar to something else, since ours are so similar? I know you were using that before I did.

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

-Sarcasm start- What about Windows Vista? Oooooh, I see what you did there. :p -Sarcasm end- xD

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Agree! Immunet's "personal network" is an out-&-out mickey mouse scheme to get users to become salesmen. The "personal network" is a joke. Immunet's true community consists of ALL its users -- every one of them.

14. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

An obvious fact that isn't so obvious to everyone. ;)

15. Brandonn2010

I'll put it on our PC we hardly use and see how slow it makes it, and see if it has a lot of FPs.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

From my experience it's not as light as they're advertising it. Panda Cloud and avast! feel much less of a burden to the PC.

17. Brandonn2010

Now I have it on my Mom's laptop along with Avast! 6 free, and GeSWall. It doesn't seem any slower but it's a pretty crappy laptop anyway. It's kind of nice that it automatically added all Avast!'s program folders and temp folders to its exclusions.

18. guest

guest Guest

One day i install Soluto to check the boot time of my girlfriend laptop who used Immunet and avast 6 (she complained her system was slow). Immunet add 15 sec on the launching time of Avast and around 5-10 sec for the others apps.
    i know that Soluto is not a perfect tool but since i removed Immunet, her system was clearly faster.

19. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Having 2 antivirus always slows down pc way more than one. I wont discuss A vs. B as that is against policy but go looking at Raymonds comparison of antiviruses and you will notice we do keep what promised (related to used ram) ;)

http://www.raymond.cc/antivirus/index.html

Choose test from dropdown.

20. guest

guest Guest

Immunet is a Companion AV, like prevx, it was installed without enabling ClamAV, and it added automatically Avast in its exclusions; so it was not a conflict issue, but just that Immunet is a resource eater :D at least on her system and on mine when i test it to double check.

If Immunet is no more a companion AV it will be nice to mention it on the website.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  21. carat

carat Guest

No - it's still a FP champion :ouch:

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

RAM usage is by NO means the primary indicator of a program's impact on system responsiveness. If you view all of Raymond's test results you will see that Immunet has somewhat more adverse impact on responsiveness than do several other AVs.

Immunet's forum reports some instances of very high cpu usage & slow-down by Immunet.

Even so, Immunet Plus's inclusion of Bit Defender makes it moderately useful at its present price. I would buy a license IF they eliminated that meaningless personal "Community" block on their GUI. To me, that block proclaims that the Immunet proponents are rather too disdainful of the intelligence of their users. :cautious:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  23. Brandonn2010

I'll monitor these things from it on my Mom's computer. I just have high hopes for the program since it is meant to be run alongside another AV, plus it is cloud-based, and it may improve since it was acquired by Sourcefire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.