is geswall dead?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

UAC can be bypassed, in Seven is better than in Vista, but not very safe. And since they work at kernel level, I think it's not a good idea to use together UAC and an HIPS. With Defense+ you can restrict and monitor all the system, and enhance the security adding a sandboxing or a virtualizing program.

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Like geswall ;)

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

me too

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Contrary to most who mourn about supposed departure of GW to the land of dead code, I am optimistic about it:

a) BeyondTrust has a freeware marketing policy allready
    b) LeakWall and PowerBroker both have same freeware policy (< 5 seats)
    c) GeSWall's lead developer also was shareholder, he will get an lead developer role again within BT, presumably with more manpower
    d) LeakWall is based on GeSWall technology
    e) When you look at the corporate market AppGaurd is the one who comes closest to GeSWall with less HIPS qualities
    f) PowerBroker and GeSWall freebies combine into a heck of an AppGuard competitor (individually they have more options), so why not lend the idea of AppGuard and blend some HIPS protection with poliy management protection?

Regards Kees

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. blacknight

Kees I'm not so optimist: GesWall is an excellent program, but - as usual :( - too " difficult " for common users; sandboxing and virtualizing are concepts unknown to most; I think that GesWall had not a satisfying market for Gentle, you see that his development is stationary for a long time... so I fear that BeyondTrust will not interested to continue his development. Moreover, Beyond Trust seems interested to data leaks prevention for business companies, not to sandboxing program for systems. But I hope I am wrong.

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I take it PowerBroker needs Group Policies so will not be available to Home & Basic OS users?

Thanks

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Read about the gpedit 'hack' for Basic and Home version users; link

8. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

D'oh :oops:

Thanks, I'll go searching now! :)

9. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I now get gpedit on Win 7 HP , thanks. This in itself is very useful but does not allow you to use PowerBroker though. If anyone has managed to achieve it please let me know.

Thanks

10. Kees1958

11. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Kees1958,

Yes I have fully up to date .NET. Still no BeyondTrust entries in local group policy editor tree. Win 7 x 64 Home Premium on this one. Tried uninstalling & reinstalling, still no luck.

Thanks

12. blacknight

I wonder if DefenseWall works sandboxing like GesWall and if it's powerful as GW is.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sure it is.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

15. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

For those interested I've messed about with this today and it seems to be a snap-in problem rather than gpedit problem, while i can (and have :) ) got gpedit to work on Home Premium I've been unable to get PowerBroker to snap-in to MMC.

Not a big deal I just wanted to play with Power Broker but I'm delighted to finally have gpedit on Home Premium so thanks to Kess1958 and Basesrk :D . Going forward if anyone has managed to get snap-in to work properly (you need to 'run' mmc.exe to get it to even offer snap-in on file drop down on HP, but it does not allow PowerBroker) on Home Premium it would be good to know but a good result for me in any case.

Thanks

16. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Defensewall is better in terms of security I would say, mostly because of the constant and relevant development, but GesWall redirect is better 'virtualisation' if not sandboxing than Defensewall offers in my opinion. Redirects act a little like SBIE in that traces/tracks are gone when the app is closed whereas you may need to manually roll-back with DefenseWall, which can be tricky.

Just a pity we probably will not now get the 64 bit GesWall, let's hope Ilya can 'do a Tzuk' and find an effective 64 bit solution for Defensewall.

Cheers

17. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Im not sure if this is old news.. But check this link: -http://www.gentlesecurity.com/downloads_geswall.html

There is 64-bit version download directory for it, ''Released Soon!'' or so it says. Is this old news? o_O

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

very old news indeed.
    it's been there for a year, if not two...

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

about a week ago i sent a mail to beyond trust asking about future of geswall, no reply so far.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks eagle;)

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Still No Reply from GeSWall...:doubt:

22. Kees1958

Have you tried the client installation procedure ? (see attached guide save as PDF)

Attached Files:

23. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Thanks, yes I did follow those.

While I can now get gpedit.msc on Home Premium (HP) I cannot get gpmc.msc which I think may be needed and not available on HP (?). MMC snap-in is also disabled on HP.

Cheers

24. Kees1958

Does not Beyond Trust show up in GPEDIT.MSC? like this (see picture)

Attached Files:

25. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

No. Afraid not.

Is that screenie not GPME rather than GPEDIT? I thought you needed Remote Server Admin Tools (RSAT) to get GPMC/GPME but RSAT will not install on Home Premium? Even if it could do you not still need to have MMC snap-in which is also unavailable on Home Premium?

I've also noticed the btservice is not running although installed. I think this may be because the required Windows components are not present but who knows.

Anyway I have enough third party apps to restrict what I need so probably won't waste anymore time on it. Thanks for your interest. I'll give it another look if I ever upgrade Windows :) .

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.