Is Flock a secure browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by normishmael, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normishmael

normishmael Guest

I am not sure this is the right thread for browser questons,if not please forgive me.
    I really like the features of the Flock browser.
    Until Firefox3 throws out a few extensions,I cant hang with them at present.
    There is some nice stuff in flock such as "downloadthemall!",and "kkeyscrambler".
    But my queston is, is Flock secure?
    Any body know of, or can see any weakness?
    Where is the security in a Browser?
    Is it in the engine? The add-ons?
    thanks

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Browsers should be regarded as inherently insecure. They are used to allow machines on the internet to remotely run programs on your computer. A browser cannot ever be totally secured. Not by design, not by extension. It has to be done inside the browser's environment, as such, your operating system. Sandboxing the browser will not work. I suggest if you must "lock down" a browser, you run it inside a virtual machine. Go download VMWare and download an Ubuntu image and install your browser there and run it inside the virtual machine. If you don't want to do that, you can download xB Machine or Incognito free of charge.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wish I could give more than opinion on this (I'm actually looking around for answers), but, for the time being, Flock is built upon Mozilla tech, so one can assume that it's a relatively safe option. As far as its features, well, I'm completely against all these personal data theft....I mean, um, social networking websites, and, having them incorporated into a piece of software that gets so much attention from malware writers (that piece of software being a browser), makes me cringe even more.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb:
    Only thing worse than "web2.0" is a "web2.0 browser" LOL

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You know it! :D

6. normishmael

normishmael Guest

I 100% agree about the "social aspect".That is why I do not use yahoo or ms Messenger or any of that.
    Nor will I make use of any such features inherent to Flock.
    Over and above the security aspect, (only virus I ever encountered came from such a site,I will be PcPC and not name it.) social to me means sit down,face to face,crack a beer or a cup of coffee and swap lies.
    I went to Flock because right now Firefox 3 is pretty bare bones.
    I have no desire or inclination to Digg,twitter,flutter or blog.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

To be honest with you, the social network functions aside, I've not heard anything bad about Flock, again, likely due to it being based off of Mozilla. I think you'll be just fine. If you're concerned Firefox is too bare though, keep in mind Firefox likely (this is opinion) wouldn't be as popular without its extensions. And those extensions will bring you from barebones browser to fully featured (not too many though, it could cause really crappy performance).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.