Is finding Comodo 5.10 really that hard?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by luciddream, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've seen in here a thread of people saying they couldn't find it. And another person PM'd me asking for installers. I was wondering... is there a place to find the installers for 5.10 at? And if so could you please post it in this thread.

It would save me some trouble. Because otherwise I will upload them to a file sharing site (installers for both full CIS & FW/D+ only)... and post the link in here. But since I have no accounts at any I'd have to create one, and would rather not have to go through that work if they can be found otherwise.

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

3. Tyrizian

By the way, I scanned all the files myself...all appear to be clean :thumb:

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

6. arran

arran Registered Member

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I would be cautious with those soft32.com links.
    Those come up too often on google searches, with fishy urls (http ://comodo-internet-security .soft32.com) and i do not trust them.

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/soft32.com
    Read the comments.

8. Tyrizian

The files are clean, I double checked several times.

I wouldn't post anything if I thought it being a risk.

But, if nobody trusts those links, I'll be more than happy to take them down.

Just let me know

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I wouldn't expect different, and nothing against you.
    Just writing my concerns.

10. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I can confirm that the Filehippo link does download V6!

Arran:
    Regarding the Comodo link – are you saying that the link works – or that the actual installers are valid? Reason I ask is that the CFW 5.10 installer listed is suspiciously large (125MBs) – this usually means that what you get is CIS – not the Firewall\Defence+ installer.

RADEON0101
    Not sure about Filehorse – this seems to only refer to 32 bit installers – I don't see the 64 bit installers - or am I missing something? o_O

11. Tyrizian

For some reason, they no longer direct to the installer, just the homepage....I'll take it down and post if I see them again.

12. arran

arran Registered Member

sorry I meant the comodo soft32.com links, but yea its seems on the Comodo site those links are also version 6 just like on filehippo. So it seems soft32.com is the only place to download 64bit version 5.10.

13. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Thanks guys!

(I've been caught out by a few sites that have misnamed Comodo V6 as 5.10 or 5.12 versions) :blink:

14. arran

arran Registered Member

Its seems Comodo has on purpose done it that way. they don't want us to use the earlier versions instead Comodo wants us to use the latest version with all the xtra bloatware and crap.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

What extra bloatware do you mean.?
    No extra crap in my opinion.It runs below 10mb and is solid protection.
    !"no pleasing some people"!!:cautious:

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

may i ask only whe 5.10 and not 5.12?
    it's more stable 5.10?
    thanks

17. The Red Moon

18. luciddream

The only difference seems to be added compatibility for Win8, and to accommodate the Web Shield in Avast. Those are the only difference from version 5.10. And some are cautious that in able to make it play nicely with Avast's Web Shield some concession had to be made to weaken it's security in the process. So if that doesn't apply to you, better to just use 5.10 me thinks.

I don't use any real-time AV at all, so 5.10 is ideal for me. Very light and an interface I much prefer over v6.

19. luciddream

That is why when you have an installer for a great version of a product you hang onto it, back it up even. I know that my SBIE 3.76 isn't going anywhere. Nor Keyscrambler 2.9.3, OpenVPN 2.2.1, Macrium Reflect 4.2.3638, VTHC 1.0.1, Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325, TrueCrypt 7.1,

20. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

That bold portion would make it a wise update. However, there are release notes here: http://downloads.comodo.com/cis/download/updates/release/inis_1800/release_notes.html which I notice do not mention the item in bold. There was this comment in the CIS 5.12 for Windows 8 thread: http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...r-windows-8-t86289.0.html;msg617731#msg617731

Which, along with some other chatter, made people think that 5.12 would address the Web Shield issue on Windows 8 and Windows 7 too. Then https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/avast-bypass-t89551.0.html came alone and suggested (to me at least) that v5.12 on Win7 and v5.12 on Win8 still have the problem, plus v6 on Win7 and v6 on Win8 still have the problem.

I haven't seen anyone express that bolded concern, but I could have missed it.

Might you or anyone else here have any info or corrections to share on these points?

21. luciddream

Well I don't see how else they could have addressed that issue without making some concession on their end.

And the fact that they didn't push the update to all Comodo users on v5 via the programs internal updater... but rather you had to go to their website to download it, also makes it seem that they don't want everybody applying it... only those who specifically are having the problem and using Avast. That further reinforces the notion to me.

22. luciddream

The file sizes for both installers (full CIS & FW/D+ only) should be 59.9 MB, if they came from Comodo's site. So Comodo must use it's own compression method and set it to that size.

That doesn't mean those other ones aren't legit copies of Comodo. Just that they didn't come from the official site. They could be uncompressed, or compressed by different means. I'd probably be a bit weary too.

Well it seems all these sites that boast v5.10 in reality give you v6. So I'll get around to putting the real 5.10 installers on a file sharing site and put the link up in here for people... if it's allowed. And if not for some reason, PM me and I'll give it to you. Give me some time though, like maybe a few days. I belong to no file sharing site and have to create a new account and everything. I think I'll add some more legacy apps there as well, like Kerio 2.1.5, Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325, Keyscrambler 2.9.3, Macrium Reflect 4.2, and some other things.

23. luciddream

Also, I think all vendors should have older versions available on their sites, and easily to be found at that. Forcing everyone's hand to use the latest version is a shady practice IMO.

24. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Could a member here that still has the installer to Comodo firewall (Product version 5.10.228257.2253) (File version 5.10.31649.2253) originally downloaded from the Comodo site mind posting a few hash values? Preferably the one that contains both 32 and 64 bit variants.

Thanks

25. The Red Moon

@Kirk reynolds.
    I only have the installer for v5.12.
    Sorry.:'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.