Is FDISR 3.0 ver 202 the latest build out of beta now?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Truer words couldn't have been spoken, and it's really just as simple as that. This is one remarkable piece of ingenuity and innovation thats been very long overdue IMO.

Just the small combo of FD-ISR along with a dependable imaging program and you got BOTH microsoft and all their minions who constantly toss malware all over the netwaves by the tail in a spin THEY can't ever overcome.

Come to think about it, that combo "IS" on the level of invincibility!

In Addition: Computing is just taken a turn for the better, it now can actually be FUN! while you fashion your own private collection of special snapshots for your own various purposes, knowing if one is fudged, you have others (archives/snaps) to get right back up and running again before the next minute hand makes it's round. :D

2. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

It's a shame that the newest release does not work on 64 bit software. I find that strange since there new disk defragmenter perfect disk 8 works on 64 bit software. Why would they not tweak FDISR to work on 64 bit? Anyways I'll have to use acronis Disk Director to partition my hard drive to put vista 64 on that partion and then the other partion I'll put the new FDISR with all the other 32 bit programs. Should be a fun to get it all working right.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This is just a matter of time, I'm sure that build 202 won't be the very last build.

My hardware is ready for Windows 64-bit, but I still use Windows 32-bit, because I didn't want any problems with other softwares, which is one your problems right now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not really strange. PerfectDisk is written and handled totally by Raxco. FDISR is done, and actually maintained by Leapfrog. The selling and support is thru Raxco and 2 other companies.

5. ErikAlbert

I remember there was a contest regarding a NEW "FirstDefense-ISR Splash Screen" long ago, which would be used in one of the new builds.
    Does the latest build 202 have a new splash screen or is it still the old one o_O

6. Peter2150

The splash screen at startup is the new one. The Raxco gui is the same.

7. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome ErikAlbert,

I've become dependent on FirstDefence. Told my wife that of all the software needed in my transition to Vista, it was FD and a good defrag package. Tried Acronis TI and it left me hanging with a missing DLL multiple times. I've got a FD archive snapshot on an external hard drive for those emergencies and a rollback ss on my main partition for trial software issues .

Thanks again,
    PoetWarrior

8. ErikAlbert

If you have winVISTA, I hope you have Acronis TI v10 as well, otherwise it might go wrong and maybe restoration of older images (made with v9) might be a problem too. You have to ask this at Acronis Forums, because I'm still using winXPproSP2 and Acronis TI v9.
    Acronis TI v10 is the only version that is compatible with winVISTA and only build 202 of FDISR is compatible with winVISTA. :)

9. PoetWarrior

I really wanted Acronis TI to work, even owned version 9, but it happened with version 10 also and that's when I decided to go elsewhere. I wanted to try another imaging program (can't think of the name right now) but it disliked 3rd party defraggers. This same imaging program did indicate that they would have a version out in 4th quarter that would work with 3rd party defrag. :)

10. ErikAlbert

I'm using ATI9, but if I ever change, ShadowProtect is next in line, which is a very professional Image Backup software. I think even that ShadowProtect has a much better team "programmers" than Acronis and there forum shows it clearly. Nothing but problems there. I'm a very lucky ATI-user until now for more than a year without problems at all, it only works slow on my computer compared with ShadowProtect.

11. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I'm starting to question if I should get Acronis Disk director as it seems to have alot of bugs with vista and boot loaders. Sigh...I really would like to get to use vista 64 somehow but no one knows of a boot loader that works with it so far.

12. PoetWarrior

I also used Acronis Disk Direct Director and it worked fine until I tried to install the boot loader that's when "wham" Vista wouldn't load. Decided that was it for Acronis though I really wanted to use them. I would like to see Shadow Protect work when its Vista compatible.

:)

13. Peter2150

Version 3 of Shadow Protect will be Vista compatible. I've already tested the IT edition under Vista. Didn't try, but I would assume you could image and restore from the recovery environment just fine.

Pete

14. PoetWarrior

CooLLLL or better yet, :cool:

15. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I just tested the IT Version 3 also using XP SP2. Very nice and very fast. Only problem is, that they won't let you test the HIR Function until you buy. If I could test it, and it works, I would dump Acronis ASAP and switch. I use the Universal Restore function with Acronis several times a year when my wife and I travel. Since I am updating constantly, this function makes it much easier to update our 2 laptops when we travel than reinstall a bunch of programs and settings that have changed on each computer since the last time we traveled.

I am waiting on further responses from others here after it comes out to see if there are any problems with the HIR function.

I have been using Acronis for over 3 years and I am sick and tired of their terrible support and their constantly putting out buggy software. The Universal Restore problems with Workstation 9.1 b3886 and 3887 have been reported on these forums and by tickets to Acronis for months. They have done nothing to fix the problem.

Silver

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  16. PoetWarrior

Thanks for the info. Yep, I'm still looking for an Acronis TI replacement too.

17. ErikAlbert

I have also ATI9, ATI10 is pure gadgetry (bloatware), except compatibility with winVISTA. My next Image Backup Software is ShadowProtect v3.0. ATI10 will cost me $30, another $40 and I have ShadowProtect v3.0
    The fact that old minor and big issues aren't solved yet, indicates that Acronis's programmers aren't good enough.

18. Peter2150

Hi Silver

I tested the HIR function extensively as part of the beta if the V3 IT edition.

I have 3 machines. A laptop with the P4 3.4gh processor a gig of ram. It is a velocity micro machine, made by the same folks that make the Sager machines. It has a 160gig drive. 2nd machine is an nvidia based machine with the Asus motherboard the AMD Athlon 64 FX 62 processor and 2gig of ram. This board had the Invidia 590 chipset. Main drive is 2X250 gig drives in raid 0. 3rd machine uses the evga motherboard with the nvidida 680i chipset. Processor is the Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800. 4gig of ram and the main drive is 2x320gig drives in a raid 0 array.

First you have to understand the object isn't to end up with a perfect machine, but one in which you can boot to a working windows desktop. You then may need to update drives as appropriate.

Needless to say before anything else I imaged and test restored both desktops.

First I took the AMD machine, and shrink my single partition in half. Then I imaged it. Then I restored it to the Intel desktop. I did have as part of the HIR process point to a floppy with the appropriate drivers.(Ironically both machines use the same drives, but different non compatible versions) Did the HIR part, and booted. Machine booted to the desktop. Graphic's weren't perfect with proper drives, but I did have a functioning computer.

Then I went the other way Intel machine image to the AMD machine. Same positive results.

Finally I restored the laptop image(this was promise raid, not nvidia) onto both desktops. Again successfully. Both desktops booted to the desktop, both were workable, both got me on line. With driver updates, they would have been fine.

Finally I used the SP images and put the machines back the way they'd been before I started.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

Pete

PS And Wilbertnl will probably jump in and tease me about how I used to be afraid to do a restore, which was true

19. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

At this moment there is not a single known failure case for ShadowProtect's Hardware Independent Restore (HIR) feature. I'm sure we will run across some failures. Part of the reason for this high level of success is that we've instrumented that feature so that it provides extremely detailed information necessary to fix/add-support for any case that doesn't work. When you perform the HIR operation against a target volume, an HIR log directory is created in the root of that volume. If HIR fails (assuming you've tried the documented things like providing your storage controller driver to HIR in its advanced options dialog) then you can zip up this log directory and send it to us and there's a good chance we can resolve the issue in short order. The point is that there is a good plan for supporting and resolving failed cases. It's the reason that the few failed cases that were reported early in the beta phase were quickly resolved.

20. PoetWarrior

Think I'll try ShadowProtect v3.0 when it gets rid of the early Vista bugs. :)

21. silver0066

Hi Pete,

That is great news.

I also have 3 computers, 2 Dell laptops with 100 Gb drives, and a 2 year old Voodoo desktop, Athlon FX 55, running 2 Raptors in Raid 0 on the Silicon Image 3114 Controller, ASUS8NSLI motherboard plus 2 Seagates, 1 750 Gb for backup and storage, and a 400 Gb Seagate for additional backup of Data. I also backup the 750 to another Seagate 750 external drive which I take with me when I travel and I backup the 400 Gb Seagate to another 400 Gb external drive which I keep off site.

I am confused though about your statement that you shrink your Raid partition in half. What do you mean by this? Can't you just back it up and restore to another non raid computer using HIR?

I have been using Driver Genius 2007 to get my drivers back on the restored machine when using Universal Restore. Very simple with their .exe file, just one click and they are all back in working order.

So you had to use floppies with the HIR function? I was not able to test HIR, but when I tested the restore to my Voodoo, I just used the "Load Drivers" tab and was able to get the Raid drivers off of my external backup drive without using a floppy. Is this function not available when you use HIR?

I hope they will put HIR out in a cheaper version. The IT version is around $3500 which is a bit steep for my purposes [​IMG].

Are you aware of when and what products HIR will be available on?

Thanks for your input,

Silver

22. Peter2150

You know honestly, with just 3 computers I don't bother with HIR. I was testing it to see how it played on these nvidia machines. I just image, and FDISR each one independently. The imaging is so quick, and if I don't want to bother I just refresh an FDISR archive which is quicker. An old image and current FDISR archive is as good as a fresh image.

I am going to have to give Driver Genius a play.

Why the floppy. Just where the drivers are. I think I could have gotten them from an external drive also. All my machines come with floppies. Not an option. I asked Velocity Micro about that, and the reason is since each machine is custom ordered they don't have a prebuilt load, so if you have hardware that requires drivers loaded when windows is installed you need the floppy. Least for XP.

Reason for shrinking the partitions, is one of my drives is 640 and the other 500 gb. Currently there is no "shrink on the fly" I suspect that might be in the works, don't know. So to restore from the bigger disk to the smaller required shrinking the bigger one. Then I got to playing with the partitions, to see how badly I could mess up the disks, and see how the restore went. A measure of my confidence in Shadow Protect is that these are my business machines, I was doing this with.

Will HIR be in a cheaper version. Don't know. If he can I am sure grnxmn will shed some light.

Wilbertnl was teasing me about this, but it does raise a good point. At one time I was literally to afraid to restore. Since working with SP, I do restores and just don't even think about it. Combine that with FDISR, and you feel fearless.

Pete

PS if one is so inclined to do this kind of stuff with their machines, another very useful tool is Acronis Disk Director 10. I run it strictly from Bartpe, and used it for the partition games. Once though when doing a restore, I accidently deleted the volume from my eternal drive rather then my c: drive. OOPS!!! Acronis DD 10 fixed that in seconds. Paided for itself right there.

23. silver0066

I also use FDISR, however, you still have to keep each machine updated with programs and settings.

I only use the laptops when I travel for a month at a time every few months. When I am at home, I use the Voodoo. I am constantly testing new software and updating settings. If I had to keep all 3 computers updated, it would take too much time. Universal Restore has saved me alot of time by just restoring the Voodoo to the laptops using Universal Restore just before I start out on a trip. Using Universal Restore and Driver Genius, I can update each laptop in less than 30 minutes and I am on my way. Then, when I get back, I restore the latest laptop to the Voodoo.

I think Acronis does it on the fly as long as the data will fit.

I have the same confidence in Acronis when just using the restore function. My problem is I have to use an older version (build 3666) to get the Universal Restore function to work. Acronis has known about this problem for months and they have done nothing to fix it. They just are not customer oriented and they have a sloppy programming staff.

I do like ShadowProtects backup and restore function and it worked great when I evaluated the IT version. If they include HIR in a more reasonably priced version, I will buy it in a minute. Even though they won't allow me to test the HIR, I am confident that if something does not work, they will work with you and fix the problem

I used to use Acronis DD10 but it trashed my drive one time so I switched to Partition Magic 8.05 and I have had no problems...I have only used it once though, so not a good test.

Silver

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  24. Peter2150

I am going to have to play with that approach. My approach works from day to day, but I agree with a major update, it is time consuming.

I see playtime coming.:D

Pete

25. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Not knowing any better I have just updated to 3 202 from 1
    I have 4 snap shots and all work fine.

what ever happened to FD-ISR and all the builds I seem to have missed
    :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.