Is every website stored in registry?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by tonyseeking, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. If you want to see what's inside those index.dat files, use Index.dat QV, a scaled down version of Index.dat Suite. They both come in a no-install version.

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

The old files are simply deleted. When a new index.dat file is created it is, of course, empty.

However, as Nebulus indicated, those old index.dat files are not wiped and, hence, there remains the possibility that they could be recovered (and the data contained therein) via recovery/forensic software.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Ah, that's clear.

Thank you.

Would anyone happen to know software that overwrites ALL index.dat files in XP and Vista ? Window Washer (Webroot) does overwrite at least one index.dat, but that's all I know.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Do you know of a program similar to Returnil that works on a Vista 64 bit OS? Because Returnil does not yet work.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

That's a very good question. I would expect Faronics (Deep Freeze) to support Vista 64-bit before anyone else in the virtualization restore category. I know their Anti-Executable is now V64 compatible. But you raise a good question, I am curious as well. I just checked Clean-Slate and they don't support it yet either.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Tonyseeking, you may find it helpful to know that there exists a registry key (“TypedURLs”) that contains the URLs of websites that you visited by manually entering the URL into the browser’s address bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.