Is ESS Firewall enough

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zooburner, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooburner

zooburner Registered Member

Hiya there

I've seen a few comments on this forum describing the firewall suplied with ESS as 'basic' or 'simple'. Is this somthing i should worry about or is it a good capable firewall say along the likes of zonealarm or comodo in capability. ?

Andy

2. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

For me it passed the LeakTest put out by Gibson Research. Can be found at "xxx.grc.com"
    xxx = www and that's good enough for me.

3. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Works for me as well. Every time a program updates, it gives me a warning that the exe has been changed.

4. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello,

I recommend use Interactive mode, because my experiences with Automatic and trojan downloaders say that they could download what they wanted.

5. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

I have replaced ESS with NOD32 v3 + Comodo v2.4 Firewall on a Win2Kpro that runs 24/7 because of sporadic crashes that ESS has given since conception. Before ESS and now it runs with no crashes/errors at all with Comodo. As a point of contrast, only v2.4 of Comodo works with Win2K, not their current v3.0. ESS is supposed to work with all Win2K+. ESS works fine with my WinXPpro's. If Comodo's new technology doesn't work with Win2K perhaps Eset should review theirs. They probably don't care about fixing Win2K issues since it's considered superceded, but I'm sure there are many Win2K's out there working even if they are mostly non-interactive drones on the Net.

Interactive Mode works better than Automatic, but Policy Mode has even better control I'm told. I get many false "DNS Cache Poisoning Attacks" with WinXP , and Win2K when I used ESS. I could simply block logging these but this only masks the problem.

I consider ESS's firewall component still the weakest part, though much improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.