Is COMODO FW v3 recommendable for novices?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by OHM, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

My Defense + is train with safe mode and anything I don't recognise is googled since this was not installed on a new installation. Maybe I just have more time for this and am naturally interested but I don't mind a frequent googleing!:)

Defense + may well give a shed load of alerts but consider this, if you didn't have this installed wouldn't all this behaviour be going on unannounced so to speak? Is that really safer or is it a false sense of security-what you don't know can't hurt you type of thing?

2. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Consider this. All this behavior was going on for years before you installed Defense+ and yet presumably you were okay. Doesn't that imply that all this activity is not important to know?

Besides, if you push your logic to it's ultimate conclusion, you would realize that as comprehensive as hips type apps are, there are tons of "activities" going on that even they don't alert on, does that mean that all these behavior going unannounced by your HIPS is a security risk? :)

well i guess you have a false sense of security too, because there is a lot of activity going on that HIPS do not alert on too... How about the HIPS alerting you on every single cpu instruction? That seems to be the safest?

Personally I enjoy watching people think they are safer because they enjoy
    press buttons a lot to things they don't quite understand. Don't get me wrong, i encourage learning about processes running on your system. Saying X started is simple enough to understand, but the blizzard of prompts that follow well.... Personally I think trying to puzzle out what some cryptic prompt is saying about what that process is doing is beyond most people....
    You can't just google your way out of that though unfortunately...

So in the end you might as well just have one prompt, do you trust X or not. If Yes, okay. If no, bye bye.. All the other prompts about what they are doing is really impossible.

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I downloaded the leak tester from Shields Up.

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

You presumed right but I was wrong, my system was not always okay although I presumed it was because I had 'security software' that didn't alert me. There were 'applications-malwares' that had the potential for stealing some information but I was none the wiser. So are you suggesting then that NO information is better than SOME especially critical behaviours by software?
    Are you suggesting that all decisions be left to security software? What is this stunning piece of kit that ensures system security without user intervention?
    You may well be correct in that most software on your system could get by with one prompt but isn't it useful to have security software that is able to determine to a greater degree what some potential unsavoury applications/malware are doing?

Comodo has an extended white list of trusted applications that will only increase with users submitting files and this will only be beneficial to Comodo users.

5. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

If you go into Comodo forums you will see several posts about leak tests failing.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Is passing leak test an integral characteristics of quality firewall ?
    I am still not quite convinced yet. Would other layers of protections such as behaviour blocker or HIPS intercept these actions ?

And how important are these leak tests ? Would the ceiling fall off if these tests are failed. Can someone tell us the truth, nothing but essential facts?

Take care.

7. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Are you talking about this leak tester?

MY CFP V3 has no problems blocking this test.

Al

Attached Files:

• grc1.jpg
      grc1.jpg
      File size:
      52.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

The only leaktests that fail with the latest version of CFP that I know of is a recent keylogger that was written using .NET, but that seems to be a bug. You get the alerts, but blocking them is not working. Most likely a SMOP or an update to the default rules will fix the problem.

Al

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Yes that one. I denid it. Then ran it again 3 times and it failed. I ran the same test with Online Armor and it bocked it. Then it denied access to the leak tester period.

10. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

How exactly did you deny it?

11. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

When the message popped up allow or deny. I clicked deny and remember. Then double clicked the tester and Comodo allow it to go threw.

12. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok I am not a Comodo hater but the battle is basically between Online Armor and Comodo. So is Comodo 3 for novices. Not in my opinion. Everyone says disable the D+ in Comodo and everything will be fine. Isnt D+ the protection that separates Comodo from any other firewall. If you disable D+ whats the purpose. You have to disable a program feature to make it work right. Thats dumb. Comodo 3.0 with its D+ was rushed out into the public. In time I am sure it will be fine but as for Comodo 3.0 being for novices I don't see that.Way to confusing to use and that why I am staying with OA.

13. Coolio10

I will continually bring out the fruit on you which you do not even reply to.

Online Armor has had a a lot of weeks to ripen while comodo was just released.

Comodo was released on November 20, 2007. While Online armor was released October 11th, 2007.

All problems people reported in the wilders thread has already been fixed and is currently being tested privately for those effected.

14. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok if its fixed where is the new version?

15. Coolio10

http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v...e_will_send_you_the_new_version-t16546.0.html

16. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

In response to the original poster. I do not think the new version is suitable for many people much less novices. I have been a Comodo fan since its inception and used their firewall until last week. I am not a novice, neither an expert.

In version 2 Comodo managed to find a reasonable balance between complexity & ease of use. Not perfect but reasonable.

If there is a commercial motivation behind Comodo's latest offering I fail to see it. It is over engineered, over complex, and for a final release, far far too many bugs.

Yes there will be technophobes who love Comodo's version 3 just for the fact that its a challenge to get to grips with. But Comodo v3 is hardly bringing "security to the many" with this offering.

I left Comodo for the free version of Online Armor. So far I have not regretted it. It is so much more intuitive than Comodo. Things are easier to find, and the number of pop ups much reduced and are clearer to understand.

I hope this helps

Terry

17. Coolio10

And this is exactly why comodo went in-depth with the help-file but i guess knowone reads it these days.

18. 212eta

212eta Registered Member

I totally agree!!!
    As I have already said in a previous post,
    "Setting Defense+ aside, makes Comodo 3 ambiguous and not that reliable for many people.
    Besides, isn't Defense+ what supposed to differentiate Comodo 3 from the rest firewalls? "

For me, OA stands out due to its proven Effectives & Friendly Usage! :thumb:
    For any home user, OA is a "set & forget" situation! :thumb:

Comodo 3 has been a pain in the...mind...
    (Defense+ , Pending Files etc.)

Should we expect from -the average home user-
    to have the knowledge and patience to search for all these configurations?

-In the next firewall-tests (i.e. Matousec.com etc.),
    Comodo 3 MUST score much HIGHER than the rest "simple" firewalls.

-If Comodo 3 will score the SAME -or even worse-
    BELOW other firewalls,
    then,
    all these puzzling configurations of Comodo 3 (i.e. Defense+ , Pending Files etc.)
    will prove to be unecessary: too much noise for nothing; not to say 'just a bad joke'.

Time will tell...

19. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I 100% agree. Thank you. I was a big time user of Comodo 2.4 for awhile. Then when 3.0 came out I was baffled. Too much. There are options inside options. Why on earth does a software firewall need so many different options. Online Armor GUI is so much easier to use. Its straight to the point and does a # 1 job in doing it.

20. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

We will see. We will see. Why have so many tabs and buttons to push. I know alot about pc's but come on now. Comodo 3.0 was driving me nuts only after 10 minutes.

21. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Why should you have to read a help file just for a software firewall. Nothing should be so complicated.

22. Coolio10

Watch your back vetta. I will be back when TC is launched...whatever TC is :D.

23. Coolio10

I followed your instructions exactly. I passed every time and made a video just for you :D.

http://screencast.com/t/Gza95tBTPp

24. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok I watched it and Comodo passed. But only one thing. Look at all the steps you had to take. All I did with OA was click deny once. Then after that the program wouldn't open. There are too many pop ups like everyone says. With OA I got 1 pop up warning then thats it. File access was not allowed.

25. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Coolio-a brilliant little video-must check Jing out:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.