is built-in fw enough for a win xp terminal?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by imdb, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi
    on my win 7 & win 8 terminals, i have no problems with windows built-in firewall.
    on my xp terminal, system specs are not as good as terminals with win 7 & 8.
    so it's a huge improvement for the terminal not to have a 3rd party firewall installed. in this case, would just an av & win xp built-in fw be enough, even for online banking, etc.?
    thanks

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Terminal means as a PC?

There are many people still using windows XP. About 27% PC coveradge, if is to believed by the statistics from my latest Avast free install. XP is still updated from microsoft.

The firewall is not so strong and can be put down by malware quite easy. If your computer is clean, why not, I would use it anyways if none better computer. And if you are especially behind a router. Using safe surfing, maybe under coverage of Sandboxie free to avoid getting infected if not so safe surfing lol.

These days Google Chrome is maybe the safest browser for you, with its own sandbox.

Just my thoughts. I used to use many 3rd part firewalls on my XP times, but they are now all gone to history. And I wont continue to advise you any about those. I know some I would use, just not recommending any to you.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

xp firewall is crap cause built in afterwards. drop it and get a decent firewall. better drop xp next time cause EOL is april 2014, the near end.

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks for the reply.

5. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks. will do get a 3rd party soon.
    as for the ditching xp recommendation, well it's only my older pc that has xp on it. the rest have win 7 & 8.
    so i'll keep it till the end of life deadline.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Crap in what way?? For inbound filtering of packets, it's only intended purpose, it's excellent.

7. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Definitely, and beyond. It won't be supported by M$ come April, but so what? Get an outstanding firewall like Privatefirewall or Online Armor + a comparable AV and XP will truck on as long as the rig holds up.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

How is privatefirewall outstanding?

9. imdb

imdb Registered Member

:thumb:

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Exactly.. The more complicated the firewall, the more problems and issues you'll have. Win Firewall is fine for inbound. Or a router, take your pick. :)

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

aamof, i got them both.

12. Brummelchen

inbound filtering is futile when using a router.

for the rest pls read here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_firewalls

at least worsest...

as it would be such simple. :rolleyes: there is no mechanism to protect windows against security holes made by design. there are tools in hackers drawer waiting to get used against those vulnerable systems - 1000s of zombies after 4'14

13. aztony

aztony Registered Member

There are millions of zombie computers out there now under the control of bot-masters. Let's face it there are probably more clueless users out there than there those that are savvy and security conscious. On this very site are members who admitted to no longer doing Windows updates, but are free of infection, and intrusion, with the appropriate steps they've taken to protect their systems.

14. Brummelchen

we will see in may 2014 when the next critical patches for IE8 will become available.

15. aztony

aztony Registered Member

XP users, I'm one of them, have other options besides IE8. On my XP pc I use Opera & Firefox. Chrome is also a replacement option, although I personally don't care for it.

16. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

If you're on stuck XP, and your bank is okay with Linux, it might be a good idea to have a Linux live medium specifically for banking and financial stuff.

17. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

On one of my XP machines I am using the built in firewall along with SpyShelter and Avast 2014, all behind a stealthed router.

18. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I threw Privatefirewall on this ole XP the other day and am quite pleased with it, i looked around for a test video to see if they had done any, this is what i found.. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwMlK2e546o

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's all you need for inbound.... for outbound control, don't bother. It's futile...

20. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks guys.

21. Brummelchen

ofc:rolleyes:
    you forgot the tons of programs which use triton for its built-in browsing or gui (including internet explorer itself is only a frontend). you can not use chrome or firefox (or maxthon, avant ...) for that. the problem still resists, and people think they are save :thumbd:

22. aztony

aztony Registered Member

After several weeks of research, and listening/weighing the opinions/options offered by many speaking to the issue, I have no come to believe that you maybe quite right. Perhaps no 3rd party security software can mitigate the potential vulnerabilities that will likely surface with its EOS. Anyway, since the PC in question was bought in '04 and is very low resource, 1GB max RAM, it's not worth the cost of an upgrade to Win 7. It runs great, so I've fortified it as best I can, and we'll see how it goes at the end time. Really do appreciate your insights.

23. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Reality is one thing, hypothesis is entirely another thing. If this was the case the way you are saying I should have been infected and my protection should have been compromised million times already, but the truth is I was never infected and my computer security with windows xp was never compromised in these 10 years!
    And I'm using the simpliest security options: Edimax router with spi firewall on maximum level with windows xp firewall on maximum level as well, the only thing I have are SBIE with Firefox with NoScipt and Adblock Edge (and Google Chrome from time to time) and MCShield.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  24. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

I've used xp-firewall for 10 years and i never had any hacker into my pc or any other issue, so yes xp-firewall is enough.
    Firewall will just make your pc run slower but it will not make your pc more protected then with xp-firewall.

25. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Exactly my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.