Is bootback (FD-ISR) compatible with Acronis true image?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ako, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

Hi!

Is bootback (former FD-ISR) compatible with Acronis true image?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

BootBack = FirstDefense-ISR, only the name is different, so it's compatible with ATI. Maybe the support is also different. LOL

3. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Like Erik said. I am using Ati 10 with FDISR with no problems. There is also thread about Ati and FDISR here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174314

I started it so i could find perfect back up program and patner for FDISR.

Kristian

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've used FDISR/Bootback with ATI and ShadowProtect with no problems also.

Pete

5. ako

ako Registered Member

Thanks for all!

Do you know any imcompatibilities with f-secure, prevx, processguad, winpatrol or boclean.

ATI is compatible with these all.

6. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I havent had any problems using Prvex1, BOClean and FDISR together. I think, FDISR works well with your other security programs, maybe someone else can verify that.

Kristian

7. ako

ako Registered Member

Hi Peter!

So, If I recover an ATI image on C:/, also the primary FDISR images remain?
    (Or should one/ can one store them on other partitions?

P.S. Is 2150 your ELO-rating :) (in chess I mean)

8. ErikAlbert

All snapshots are restored by ATI on [C:]
    FDISR only works for partition [C:] and all bootable snapshots have to be stored on the same partition (mininum 2, maximum 10)

All other partitions and harddisks are ignored by FDISR, but you can store archived snapshots (including the Freeze Storage) on any other partition, harddisk or DVD/CD (not recommended).
    The number of archived snapshots (.ARX) is unlimited.

Peter's chess board is his harddisk and 2150 = number of restorations with ShadowProtect. ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ROFL. Not quite 2150, but a whole bunch. In acronis just be sure you restore the mbr and track 0(the hidden track) and you will get back exactly what you imaged.

Pete

10. ako

ako Registered Member

So the bootable FDISR snapshots are (visible) files on C: ?

11. ErikAlbert

All bootable snapshots, archives and schedules are visible on the main screen of FDISR.
    Archives are only visible, when they are stored in the folder archives, defined in the Tools/Options/Archives of FDISR.

They are also visible in Windows Explorer as folders under C:\$ISR, but you can't access them and there is no need for this either.

12. ako

ako Registered Member

I have ATI 7.0. I have recovered C: a few times. Never knowingly restored the master boot record and track 0, but everything has worked.

What does this mean? Is the ATI saving+restoring process a little different when I have FDISR? Or are the default settings of ATI ok? What/Where are the extra options of AIT I have to check?

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  13. ErikAlbert

It worked because you didn't have FDISR on your computer.
    With FDISR on your computer you MUST restore the MBR Track 0 also, otherwise something might go wrong after the restoration.

Of course with build 202 this might not needed anymore, I didn't test this yet.
    Build 202 doesn't touch the MBR anymore, but only in build 202 not in previous builds.

It's all visible on the screen of ATI : select the partition and MBR Track 0.

14. ako

ako Registered Member

Could you inform us of the results, if/when you test this?

15. ErikAlbert

I'm not interested in testing ATI anymore, I will be soon a ShadowProtect-user.

You can test this easy for yourself.
    Restore with MBR, this should always result in a good restoration.
    Restore without MBR, this could result in trouble, but not serious. Normally it should work because build 202 is different.

If the restore without MBR is a disaster, just restore back with MBR and you computer is back to normal.

16. ako

ako Registered Member

Thanks for patient teaching! :)
    Does SP has some clear advantages over ATI, or why to change?

17. ErikAlbert

I can't say anything bad about ATI, because it never failed, since I bought it in March 2006, but I don't like the rest around Acronis. I don't want to say anything more, because it might cause discussions and that would be a waste of time for me, I made already my decision.
    Once you start using ATI, you read about it during a year, you see what happens and what doesn't happen and after awhile, you get a total picture of ATI and I don't like that picture.

My whole security is mainly based on Immediate System Recovery (FDISR) in the first place and I need Image Backup, when FDISR fails, so I want the best.

I can't depend on security softwares, because they fail too much and that's why I replace my system partition with a new one during each reboot.
    Since I'm doing this, I don't have to maintain my computer anymore : no history cleaning, no registry cleaning, no scannings and any problem is fixed with a simple reboot and without requiring deep knowledge of anything.

All my security softwares don't need daily updatings of signatures, I just need them to save the period between two reboots and they don't need to be perfect, because I remove all their mistakes during each reboot.
    My reboot from desktop to desktop takes 100 seconds and I'm back with a clean, trouble-free and malware-free system partition.
    I boot, reboot, work, backup and one monthly defragmentation, while many other users spend their time on fixing all kinds of problems with alot of extra softwares. Just read the problem posts and disaster posts at forums and you know what I mean. :)

18. ako

ako Registered Member

Your approach is extremerely interesting. :thumb:
    One needs some dicipline for it, but one cannot get much closer to total security and carefree use of Windows, I guess.

19. ErikAlbert

Everybody needs some discipline.
    If you don't have the discipline to run all your scanners daily, your computer might be infected.
    If you don't backup everyday, you might lose alot of data, when you have to restore your computer after a disaster.
    Etc. etc. etc.

PS: All infections have one WEAKNESS in common, they CHANGE your harddisk and FDISR is an EXPERT in removing CHANGES.

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Please correct me if this is in error in any way but regarding removing the preboot off from the MBR i think i might have discovered a disadvantage with that.
    Say your imaging program is doing a complete restore with FD-ISR version which DOES has the preboot located in the MBR, ok? For whatever reason your imaging program experiences some malfunction where it either seizes up entirely or suddenly without warning reboots right smack dab in the middle of restoring. And let's say you assume you'll just try the IMG restore again from the start, BUT, your met each and everytime with a Blue Screen stating theres been a serious problem and windows cannot boot up, ok? BUT, the FD-ISR preboot does still show it's menu at the start.

If i am right on this, you can simple go to the preboot menu and select another different snapshot and you're able to boot back into windows again then delete the snapshot that suffered from some issue which happened during your Restore malfunction. Nothing is lost really so long as you have a ARCHIVE to that snapshot that failed during an image restore.

I might be a little off-base in this assumption but i experienced this issue myself today on a test drive i was using to test an older version Paragon imaging app along with Rollback Rx. I was able to select a different snapshot and returned immediately into windows and proceeded to delete the snapshot which suffered that failure, and all my programs and settings were completely preserved. From this mysterious occurance today i conclude that the version of FD-ISR which does has the preboot in the MBR, also would rescue a user from a certain failure as just described.

Any thoughts? Opinions to this? Thanks

21. ErikAlbert

Easter,
    You are saying that you restore an old image with an older version of FDISR, than build 202 and then get in trouble. Possible, but that's easy to correct.
    First of all if your images are that old, something is wrong with your bookkeeping. I have renewed all my images with build 202.

I have several images of my system partition, if one fails, I use another one.
    My freeze storage is on my data partition and I have 7 images of my data partition.

If my frozen on-line snapshot is corrupted, I boot back in my off-line snapshot and fix my on-line snapshot from there.
    If my freeze storage is broke, I fix it via an image or an archive of my on-line snapshot, because my freeze storage = archive of my on-line snapshot.

As long my hardware works, I don't see this as a problem, not with FDISR and very soon with ShadowProtect.

The automatic copy/update from freeze storage to frozen snapshot occurs AFTER the FDISR Splash Screen and BEFORE Windows starts and that is also important to make it work in every situation.

I don't see any problem with this, whatever goes wrong can be fixed.
    Keep also in mind that I have a system partition and data partition.
    I can do whatever I want with my system partition, because my data is stored on another partition, even on another harddisk.

This idea isn't born in just one day, I have been thinking about this BEFORE it was even accomplished. I'm used to work with theoretical concepts, that's why I'm an application analyst. My job always starts from nothing, because it doesn't exist yet. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well, the only advantage in the updated 202 for me is that i can safely return to my Third-Party BootLoader because from what i understand, like so many other programs, these updates lately are focusing mostly on compatibility with that decrepid Vista which i will never even need since i can do everything with XP that Vista can thanks to freelance developers who port everything about Vista to XP, including Flip-3D.

So, hence no real rush to upgrade for me if at all save only my bootloader which needs the MBR to switch systems. The compressing snapshots added feature also doesn't necessarlily impress me because i have ample space, & besides i can save some time on that too since compression requires extra ticks of the clock to complete IMO.

I just done a simple test image & restore with an older (outdated) imaging program and it puked :doubt: midway during restore which is no big deal untill you realize windows is locking you away with a Blue Screen advisement that it can't reach it's own GUI. (So what else is new $M).

Since my test involved Rollback Rx this time and it lodges it's preboot to the MBR in much the same way the previous FD-ISR version did, that did afford me a way out from a possible dilema if you want to call it that because in reality it only contained very minimal programs since this was only a local test and i was more interested in seeing if the Imaging program would still perform with this software.

23. ErikAlbert

Why do RBRx-users use so many snapshots, sometimes even 40 snapshots, can you explain this ?
    Is that because RBRx forces you to do this ?
    What is the absolute minimum of RBRx-snapshots ? 1, 2, 3 or is there no rule.
    I would go crazy, if I had so many snapshots. That's an entire bookkeeping.
    I have only 2 snapshots and the rest are throw-away snapshots, IF I need them.

24. ako

ako Registered Member

So is there still a low-level boot menu (I mean: unaffected by windows) in FDISR built 202 although it does not manipulate mbr anymore?

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  25. ErikAlbert

If you mean the FDISR Splash Screen as a low-level boot menu, then this Splash Screen still exists in build 202. This screen allows you to boot in another snapshot BEFORE Windows even starts and that's why you can recover your system so quickly, much better than Windows System Restore, which can only be used if you still can boot in Windows. Windows System Restore is worthless, if you can't boot in Windows anymore, for instance a frozen BSOD. FDISR has no problems with BSOD's and I had one of those last year and it was fixed in no time.

In build 202 the MBR remains unchanged and that makes it even better.

Can you imagine a frozen BSOD on a computer without Image Backup and FDISR ? You can't do anything anymore, not even ask for help in a forum.

Easter's problem has no impact on my recovery solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.