Is bitcoin mixing worth it?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Paranoid Eye, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

I was under the impression bitcoins were already more anonymous then say paypal?

Lets say I wish to buy a VPN, rather then paypal or CC which gives myself away instead I pay a reseller via bitcoins for a code and then enter the code via the VPN site, is it better to mix my bitcoins and will this make it more anonymous and private ?

I spotted bitmixer.io, bitcoin fog and bitlaundry mentioned around here are these good and safe also....

2. ck124

ck124 Registered Member

What do you mean by "pay a reseller via bitcoins for a code"? Do you mean that you are buying btc from a reseller? What do you mean by "code"?

Anonymity of btcs depends first and foremost on the anonymity of how you received the btc in the first place. Cash in Mail is most anonymous.

3. Paranoid Eye

oh I meant if I am buying anything online via bitcoins I do not do it directly but on behalf of a reseller. Hopefully this adds a bit more privacy, so I pay a 3rd party company bitcoins they then give me a voucher code and then I can use that code for say the VPN service.

Guess I was just wondering if this makes it a bit more anonymous rather then bitcoin mixing....

Ok I was not aware of that point so its down to how its received initially, I found local bitcoin sellers and buy them usually via BT, so doing this and then bitcoin mixing would be no good?

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Bitcoins aren't anonymous. The blockchain contains the transaction history. So particular Bitcoins can be traced from your purchase to wherever. As ck124 says, you can buy anonymously, using cash via snailmail. Or you can use mixing services. I trust BitLaundry and Bitcoin Fog. After mixing, you must check for taint at https://blockchain.info/

Some VPN services accept tokens, coupons, etc. So you can buy them from resellers, and then use for VPN service. But it's rather pointless for direct-connect VPNs, because they know your ISP-assigned IP address.

5. Paranoid Eye

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.