Is Bearshare a dangerous aplication?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by POS, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POS

POS Guest

Is Bearshare a dangerous aplication? SpywareDoctor have detected a lot of things after installed it...

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Any of the p2p apps can be very dangerous due to malware

3. POS

POS Guest

But does bearshare have spywares like Kazaa or its free of spywares like Limewire?

4. bigc73542

Yes it has crap in it, they all do even limewire it is just a little more subtle about it.

5. POS

POS Guest

So I shouldnt use limewire too? What about emule?

6. bigc73542

Emule is supposed to be out of business. Actually you can use any p2p you want but be prepared to have some uninvited guests on your comp. and some of them won't be so nice. My stepson was useing limewire for about a week and his comp froze up. So he ask if I could see what was wrong, well what was wrong was 79 trojans and their varients and 31 worms and other malware. but the choice is up to you.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    eMule is opensource and free of spyware.
    Mrk

8. dog

dog Guest

Limewire is spyware free now too ... has been for a while. Spyware Doctor is likely just warning you at the presence of 'riskware'.

9. T772

T772 Guest

As far as i can teel e-mule has had spyware in it in the past, but dont quote me on that. If you are going to use E-mule i would recommend Emule Morph from sourge much safer!

T

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

11. P2P

P2P Guest

Bearshare is bundled with crapware. Best clients are Frostwire and Phex http://phex.kouk.de/mambo/ Don't bother with Limewire, the RIAA et al have recently castrated it. The beauty of Frostwire is that its open source, not a business, and can't be stopped so easily.

12. ' broken

' broken Guest

Bearshare Lite is suppose to be crapware free. They don't really promote it on their frontpage for obvious reasons.

http://www.bearshare.com/lite/

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    eDonkey was full of spyware. eMule is a sourceforge open project, and has nothing bundled.
    Mrk

14. 324wf

324wf Guest

never had any problem with Emule after 3 years of use and 100's of GB's

15. culla

culla Registered Member

[QUOTE=' broken]Bearshare Lite is suppose to be crapware free. They don't really promote it on their frontpage for obvious reasons.

http://www.bearshare.com/lite/[/QUOTE]

i've been using bearshare lite since kazza lite stuffed up.
    about 2 years and its fine :)

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've never had a problem with eMule either.. it does also have it's own DropMyRights type of deal built in, although I'm not sure that it's turned on by default. I would be careful about getting any of the mods, some do come bundled with adware/spyware and such. Stick with the original and you'll be fine. Open source projects almost never have a need for bundled adware.

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I wouldn't trust any P2P software, spyware-free or not.
    If you start downloading via P2P software, it's the same as downloading files from any suspicious website and scanning the downloaded files with an AV scanner or any other scanner is no guarantee that the files are 100% safe.
    After all you don't know anything about these files, because they come from an unknown source.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  18. ErikAlbert

19. TNT

TNT Registered Member

That doesn't mean that mp3's are "vulnerable", it just proves that that version of Winamp is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. If you use another application not vulnerable, you're utterly safe with the exact same files. And there are no safe/unsafe files, it all depends on the application/OS handling them.

20. ErikAlbert

21. TNT

TNT Registered Member

"W32/Avette-A replaces the default application for playing MP3 files, renaming the original by appending '.COM' to its name. Subsequently, when a file with MP3 extension is opened, the virus prepends itself to the file, also adding '.EXE' to the filename."

What does that have to do with MP3s being "vulnerable" at all? The virus could have done the exact same thing with JPGs or TXTs, for example. It has NOTHING to do with the MP3 file format.

22. ErikAlbert

And what about files with an extension MP3, that don't contain a MP3 ?

23. TNT

TNT Registered Member

They're not mp3s. They are just "files with an extension MP3" ;) If I change a text file to have mp3 extension it ain't a mp3, duh. ;)

24. ErikAlbert

It's not about MP3 or not MP3. It's about how safe downloading is using P2P softwares.

25. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Well, it depends on what you download and how well the p2p software is designed. I would NEVER download an executable, ever... but if the p2p application is well designed from a security standpoint and you download audio files, I don't see many problems UNLESS the application you use to open them is vunlerable, but that has nothing to do with p2p. Of course I'm talking about security, not the moral or legal standpoint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.