is AVP 3.5 still capable ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

just wondering if avp 3.5, considering it must be a few eyars old, still capable of properly protecting me. should i add some additional extensions to the smart scan mask ?

the reason i ask is that kav 4.5 is so slow, and im having terrible problems with the kav5 beta. ill migrate to kav 5 in time thought, but for now will 3.5 do ?

2. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Do you mean the Swiss version? I just tried a copy from www.avp.ch and it runs perfectly with no slowdowns. It has the same detection rate as the 4.5.
    However on their site there is a warning "This version is not XP certified. As such it may or may not run. "
    I runs fine on my Xp Pro though. ;)

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi tahoma

have a look here;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3fefd57117b3ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=91;hl=avp+3.5

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7531370~root=security,1~mode=flat

I am still using the older AVP 3.5 on one of older boxes here and I have had no problems with it at all in over 4 years of use. Very light on system resources and a small memory imprint( sticks one process in memory-VM 1612kb).

Uses the same virus definition database as its big brother.

I have KAV 4.5 on my Pentium 4 box and the only slight difference would be in the use of the extended virus database for nasties;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3fefd57117b3ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=202

I have not used this for the 3.5 version.

You can use the key-file of your KAV 4.5 for the older version, but if you have XP there are reports of some people not being able to run the AVP 3.5.

I would ditch the Beta for now and try out the KAV 3.5 if you are having problems with the 4.5.

Incidentally AVP 3.5 also makes an excellent back-up scanner. Keep us posted how you get on.

4. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

yeah i mean the swiss version
    it runs smoothly on my xp too
    if its as secure as newer kav versions then the only complaint ive got about avp3.5 is the ugly tray icon

5. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

thanks for the links blackat, quite helpful.

still running smoothly, no xp compability problems that i have noticed. gui is, like u said, excellent. the minimalisticness reminds me of drweb (another of my favourites)
    tested against my small collection of trojans and viruses it scores 100%

seems to lack a mail scanner tho, or, i suppose, the monitor will scan email files too.
    speed is amazing compared to 4.5 (altho the 5 beta is really fast too).
    ive got a 2600+(overclocked to 2.3ghz beating the 3.2 ghz p4 on most tests) with 1gb of ram ,and i still find 4.5 slowing me down a lot

thumbs up for avp3.5!

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

the gui and icons are the biggest difference.. you see kaspersky includes new unpackers in the signature bases, so your avp 3.5 is able to unpack and detect everything that 4.5 is.. only in 5x versions there is support for some filetypes that 3.5 cannot scan...but still same bases(=detections)
    3.5 is still a great anti virus, unlike with other other companies the old versions are still supported by kaspersky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.