Is AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 Missing Something?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Ok go figure this out, and come back with a logical explanation if you can. How come when I set AVG to scan every files with all the trimmings enabled like hueristic scanning ect.. on a complete system scan it will only scan (at the moment,as I've just reformatted, and not a lot of stuff installed,) a total of only 67000+ objects, yet If I install BitDefender or NOD32 or Kaspersky for that matter it will scan over 150000 + objects? what is AVG skipping? That is a significant difference in files etc scanned!? :blink: This program is supposed to have West Coast Labs Level 2 Scanning too, but I'm dubious

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello , it may be something in AVG settings however , it may not be .

The other reason I can think of is the program itself and what exactly it displays .Example :
    Let have a ZIP archive with 20 other files into it .

Panda will scan them all and will report 1 file scanned / 1 file is OK because there is one archive (object) (no matter how many files there are inside, it is one object only) .

F-prot will also scan them all but will report 20 files scanned / 20 objectes because there are exactly 20 files inside (no matter they are in one archive)

Hope you understood it ;) :thumb:

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Yep I get that now ;) So what do you reckon to this setup:

AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 (Had Spy Sweeper but they ruined it lately with the 256MB RAM minimum requirements) too much even though I have 1GB.
    AVG Anti-Virus Professional 7.5
    Outpost Pro 4.0 (Newest Version)

My system seems to be a great deal silkier now :p

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Your setup is OK . I like AVG Antispyware :D

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

eh?

it isnt MISSING nothing, every antivirus counts the files differently, you wont get 'the same' count from one to the next.

if you really think its scanning less than half of your machine, why is detection into the 90's ? when surely it should only be 30-40% ?

exactly, think about what your saying before you make a thread on it i think. :D

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The number of files scanned will vary from program to program because of the way that they count what's scanned.

Good thread topic btw.
    This difference in "scanned" files is worthy of discussion.
    Imagine if people judged antivirus program scanning capabilities on the number of files "scanned".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.