Is AntiVir/PE developing a new updater

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I doubt if the VET engine is that excellent... I mention this from AV-Comparatives:

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's not all about engine. Kaspersky Engine would be useless without signatures for example...

3. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: Tried the EZ, an had no difficulty in obtaining or updating. The problem is that this one appears to be a memory hog as well, system response slowed to unacceptable levels. Cool beans systems info indicated quiet a bit of memory being used. Even though I flat hate what one must go through to properly maintain AntiVir/PE, this appears to be the least of the memory users.

As I said, there are times I almost say the hell with this entire BS.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :doubt: :p

4. wildman

:mad: Screw it I give up!

If they get their SH*& together so be it, until then I am now going to take my chances.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :mad:

5. waters

waters Registered Member

The etrust promo is the lightest antivirus i have used ,and i have tried plenty.
    I now use kav but followed the links and redownloaded.
    It updates everyday automatic,very fast on demand scan too.
    Virus test centre, scanner test july 2004 shows haw good it is

6. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have to agree with you Wildman, sometimes I just want to say screw it. I as of right now have canned all resident virus scanners on my notebook and only use BD 7.2 free OD and I have put trendmicro sysclean on a memory stick and use that for OD scans also. and I must say with no resident AV running the system is much more stable. I guess as stated many times before if you are a "safe" surfer you really don't have much to worry about, as long as you use a OD spyware scanner and AV scanner on a regular basis.
    I too used AVPE for years since '98 and I still find myself going back to it sometimes. ;)

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I guess one really cannot expect anything really good for free, either its bad detection or bad interface or lack of features...Darn it! Cant anyone go that extra step to go and help people? Where's the humanity - its almost as if people just live life for business and money.

Sorry if I haven't been too polite with the above statement - I just lost my temper, reading this thread after coming back from a hard disk reformat REALLY made me angry.

Regards,
    Firecat

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I hear people complain about free av's not being as good as the pay versions or they are not happy with the features. They think they should have all of the features of the commercial versions for free. The problem with that is that it takes a lot of time to develop a piece of software. Not to mention the cost involved. You just cannot expect to get a cadillac for the price of a pedal car. Actually I believe we are fortunate that there is any free software at all. The developers have to very dedicated and understanding to give away their hard work.

bigc

9. Firecat

Sorry BigC - Just got too temperamental there - but I do believe that it may be OK if features are less for free versions, but the features that are already there should be polished as much as possible, get it? :D

I mean - if AntiVir has the update facility, then they may as well improve it and give the best form of that feature to the users, right? o_O

Just want to know something here - I am not into the business world yet, still a kid.

Regards,
    Firecat

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I completly agree with you ;)

11. Unity

Unity Registered Member

People that always complain about stuff they get for free will never ceased to amaze me :rolleyes:

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Ohhhh yes!!! I totally agree.

I think that is at least part of the reason why a number of formerly free programs are no longer free (JV Power Tools, Popcorn, Counterspy, Total Uninstall, etc.). Namely -- if you're going to be subjected to abusive sniping, rants, & grouchy complaints all the time, you might as well get paid to put up with them.

I am further amazed that people who, most likely, have never written an iota of program code in their lives offer comments as to how easy it should be to develop an improved updater, incremental updates, etc. It is especially NOT easy to do such a thing when the programer is working with an older program that has TONS of complex code, which has been subjected to many mods & patches (often poorly documented), by multiple programers many of whom no longer work for the company.

13. wildman

:rolleyes: Free samples are usually a good indication of what the actual product is like, don't you agree? Perhaps I haven't stated it on this forum, but I know people who have small businesses an judge their purchase options based upon how well the lowest category product is handled. I dealt with computer programmers on an off for almost twenty years. I also back in the olden days have written a few programs. I also am one of the individuals who contributed to automating military rapid deployment capabilities by the way. Need I say anything more?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek:

14. bellgamin

I would be fascinated to know which programing language(s) you used in the old days. Perhaps we could swap a few experiences. Fortran? Cobol? Forth? Pascal? C? LISP? ALGOL? Plain-vanilla assembler? (I have a nodding acquaintance with all of these, but the only one of these that I am reasonably proficient in is Forth.)

I still remember the fabulous Navy Admiral Grace Hopper, who was on the team that invented Cobol. At a seminar she handed each participant a nano-second! Actually, it was a short piece of wire that was (supposedly) the exact same length that electric current travelled in a nano-second. I still have it.

Meanwhile -- back at the thread topic...
    Wild Thang, please download a trial copy of F-Prot. If it fits your needs, I have a license that is just sitting around gathering dust. Be glad to let you have it, if you wish. By the time it elapses (after Nov 2005) I'm SURE AntiVir will have their updater problems all fixed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  15. wildman

:) The language was unique to the U.S.A.F. an was called SAMUEL. It was a combination of different languages, but I don't remember which. I was a Military Personnel Systems manager back then. I will try the F-prot, an will let you know thanks, may be a while however, family obligations call.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D ;)

16. bellgamin

Okay, let me know what you decide. 5 fast points......

1) On older machines, when F-prot's RealTime Protector first starts up, it really grabs the cpu cycles for about 30 seconds. However, once it has finished with that initial scan, it settles down into a fairly light footprint.

2) There are several in-depth discussions of F-prot here at Wilders. I suggest you read at least the most recent one at THIS thread. As you do, I suggest you take note of the folks with lots of expertise about F-prot, such as Blackcat, jim_k, Diver, ronjor, and others. By the way, I have found that F-prot community-of-users-&-fans here at Wilders is one of the very friendliest, most helpful, & highly talented groups there is.

3) Be aware that the F-prot license allows you to legally use the program on as many as 5 computers within the same household.

4) Unlike H+BEDV & AVG, there is a very good on-line knowledge base for F-Prot HERE.

5) Also unlike AVG & AntiVir or most ANY other AV, the tech support folks at Frisk are friendly, helpful, & smart. They answer reasonable queries/comments very quickly.

Hey-- no matter how disgusted you are with AntiVir, please do NOT go barefooted as you surf the net or receive email messages.

aloha... bellgamin

17. wildman

:) I want to thank BELLGAMIN in this open forum. Thanks to him, I now have what appears to be a very workable solution to my virus program dilemma.

Thank You !

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :p :D :eek: :rolleyes:

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

wildman,

just one question.

Didn't you want an AV that had incremental updates!?

The current version of F-Prot doesn't have it!

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Now don't spoil things. We have nearly found an AV which wildman can use on his system :D :D

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

21. wildman

:D That's o.k., the updates thus far have been easy to obtain an fairly quick in down loading, an that is what I was really after in the first place. Much more than I could ever say about AntiVir/PE by the way.

Thanks
    Wildman
    ;)

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK, I'm glad that you had found a solution :)

23. wildman

:rolleyes: I guess all did not go as scheduled. On another forum an individual from H+BEDV says "around" April or May. On the AntiVir/PE BB the indication is "autumn". I wouldn't count on any of these time frames. It has become abundantly clear that H+BED can not be believed in regards to this subject, an it is time for the talking to end and the goods to be delivered.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes:

24. Firecat

Well, since its been delayed so many times now, I guess the feature will be added "when its done" ;)

<I personally believe it could be late(Q3-Q4) 2005 or early 2006, no reason why I believe so, though :D>

Regards,
    Firecat :D

25. wildman

:) I don't think they have been able to figure it out. They supposedly have been messing with this since approx. July 2004 or earlier, seem like a long enough time to me, but then again what do I know? As I said, I now state that nothing they say in this regards can or should be believed. The only thing that will convince me now is if the new updater is reveled. I think there are smart enough people out there to now know that perhaps the Wildman wasn't so off track after all.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.