Is AntiVir/PE developing a new updater

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O As some of you may know I have been asking the question: When will AntiVir/PE be unavailing it's so called new UPDATER. We were told approx. July of 2004 that a new one was in the works, here it is January 2005 and nothing. I have been deleted and ignored on the AntiVir/PE forum quiet often. Granted my post have been very blunt (for reasons I do not want to go into on this forum). I now ask all who use AntiVir/PE. What do you think? Is AntiVir/PE coming out with a new UPDATER any time soon?

Thanks
    wildman
    :rolleyes:

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Not to my knowledge.

My *GUESS* is that AVPE will remain fairly plain-but-effective (as at present) and that the automatic niceties and such will go into its NON-free clone, AVIRA.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder why they still insist on slow non incrimental updates :rolleyes:
    With incrimental they could afford auto-update system with interval checking and much faster updates with probably lower final server load than now.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

There will be incremental signature file updating and later on a differential file updating system (updating seperate files instead of the entire the setup package).
    If all goes as scheduled, a public beta for the incremental signature updating will be out within Q1.

And no, more asking on the AntiVir PE board won't get it finished earlier. :D

6. wildman

o_O Are you connected with H+BEDV? What is Q1?

Obviously asking on the AntiVir PE board won't accomplish any changes to the program or it's distribution. However portraying deceptive information about the product or it's distribution capabilities is counter productive.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool:

7. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I am going to gamble here and say that Q1 means first quater of the year ??

8. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

ditto. :)

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mr. Kurtzhals is a moderator over on the dedicated Antivir forum. And yes, Q1 is the first quarter of the year.

I'm pretty sure the info provided isn't deceptive ;)

regards,

paul

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Glad to hear that! :D
    But with your explanation HERE, we finally have some idea of when this feature will be finished ;)

Thanks

11. viking313

viking313 Registered Member

I never did understand what the big deal with the updater is...I used Antivir for months and just manually updated once a day....seemed pretty easy to do in my opinion.No fuss no muss... :rolleyes:

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

All AVs have auto updaters (even free ones). It's year 2005 not 1980 when computers just started to rise...

13. wildman

:p It's been like pulling teeth from a chicken, but at long long long last we have a ball park date as to when a new UPDATER will be available.

By deceptive Paul, I meant that we were lead to believe back in Approx. July of 2004 that a new UPDATER was imitate, as we know that was not the case.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool:

14. *********************************************************
    Version v6.29.00.23 13.12.2004 does have a scheduler for auto update

15. wildman

o_O Nope. I asked when they would be brining out a new updater. Sequential updating an that sort of thing was what I was referring to. Indication is some time in the first quarter of this year. That is rapidly coming to it's end, and I wait to see if this will come to fruition or not. Some of us have been waiting a long time for a new method of obtaining the update files for AntiVir/PE.

Thanks
    wildman
    :eek: :D :p

16. wildman

:mad: Was just on the AntiVir/PE board, a post there now sates that this will not be out until autumn now. (Only in German by the way).

Please folks, tell me why I should not call this individual a liar, an why I should not lambaste H+BEDV?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :mad:

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They are improving the detection rate and the incremental updates are being sacrificed...

We have to wait... :(

18. bellgamin

Hey Wildthing- Everything you ever wanted in AntiVir is immediately available in AntiVir's NON-free Premium version. See thread HERE or go to THIS site to take it for a test drive.

Or, if you don't like that paid version, try its non-free clone over at AVIRA.

Both cost ~20€ (~$27 USD).

Surprise surprise -- the paid versions have features not available in the free version! ;)

19. Stefan Kurtzhals

No need to panic, and no, we don't sacrifice the incremental update for better detection. Also, the Premium doesn't have the incremental update either yet.

All I can say, the incremental update is in development and I am as unhappy as you that it is not yet available. You hopefully will be able to test it soon in an open beta.

20. bellgamin

Thanks for the update Stefan.

However, isn't the premium version on a different, less congested server than the free version?

21. Stefan Kurtzhals

The AntiVir Professional and Personal Premium update servers are completely seperate from the AntiVir Classic servers.

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Good news! :)

Thanks

23. wildman

:doubt: I remain skeptical, as we have heard all this before. I now will only believe it when I see it, an I no longer am holding my breath.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja:

24. bellgamin

I believe Stefan to be an honest, honorable fellow.
    Oh no, there goes the ecology.:)

@Stefan- The *regular* scanner for AntiVir Classic scans at drive level. Does the Premium version allow scanning only selected specific folders BELOW drive level?

25. Stefan Kurtzhals

I have to check out the Premium at work later, but I think it should be able to select seperate directories in the GUI.

BTW, you can scan single directories or files by right clicking on them in Explorer, selecting "Scan with AntiVir" - works even with AntiVir Classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.