Is an antispyware needed with Avast?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Writer2008, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Writer2008

Writer2008 Infrequent Poster

i am no longer using ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware and was wondering if i should install an antispyware program even though Avast Home has antispyware protection? i see people who use different ones here and i have SuperAntiSpyware free installed, but do i need to use it or another one for active protection?

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

You don't have to use realtime protection of an antispyware with Avast. It may create conflicts.

SuperAnti Spyware is good, but you can use Ewido Micro Scanner also.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Writer2008,
    using superatispyware free version for ondemand scans every so often say weekly should be fine. no need for realtime antispyware IMO.

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Since SAS Pro is only $20 for a lifetime subscription, and the real-time protection has virtually zero impact on system performance, I see no reason not to use it alongside Avast! for an overlap in protection. I've seen many an infection (vundo & assorted rogue antispyware come to mind) slip past Avast! to later be picked up with a SAS on-demand scan.

FWIW I use Avira Premium and have SAS Pro running in real-time. The Pro version also allows auto-updates and scheduled scanning.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I'd say yes.
    Complement Avast with SAS on-demand and you're good to go

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

It won't hurt to have SAS Pro along with Avast, I think of it as improving on your spyware detection which is not a bad thing. Actually I have that setup on my bro in laws computer and it runs like a dream.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Use ThreatFire.

8. snazzy

snazzy Registered Member

Is it wise to have two different anti-virus softwares on your system. I hear many people saying it'll cause a conflict or something like that.
    I use AVAST Home edition only after i removed AVIRA and i have no regrets up till now.

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Real-Time, only one...
    on-demand: as many as you want

10. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Does the free version of SAS run in real time? When I start up my Vista machine or my computer with XP, SAS is in the system tray.

11. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Only the Pro version runs in real time.

12. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

No matter which AV you use, I dont think it hurt's a thing to have a standalone Antispyware program with it, wheather it has a realtime guard running or just to have for a weekly backup scanner. I've got my 72 year Dad set up with Avast and SuperAntispyware Pro (program and def's set to auto on both) and running fine on his XP.

13. HURST

HURST Registered Member

SAS free loads at startup, bur it doesn't protect you as in "real-time protection". For what Nick has stated in other threads, you should leave it there because it so can protect itself against some malware that targets SAS. If it's not running, some malware can block it from running it when you need it.

Also, if it's not running, you can't perform right-click scans on files or folders.

Nick has said that SAS uses virtually no resources by just sitting there.

14. Trendstone71

Trendstone71 Registered Member

Avast! Home needs some AntiSpyware support.

Option 1: SUPERAntiSpyware (at least the Free version=On Demand-Scan).

Option 2: Malwarebytes' AntiMalware (at least the Free version=On Demand-Scan).

Some lunatic security freaks, use both 1 and 2 options.

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I don't think it's that loonie at all. A blacklist scanner will never catch all the threaths out there so a second realtime defense to have as light as SAS or MBAM is is certainly not a bad idea. Remember these last 2 are not a av replacement but a supplement. They try to target as much malware that av's would miss. :thumb:

16. kencat

kencat Registered Member

Awesome info to run into. Thanks Hurst. :thumb:

I'll be putting the little bug into the systray shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.