Is Ad-Aware SE Plus just a garbage application?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Frank the Perv, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I purchased a two year license for Ad-Aware SE Plus.

Many different security articles and websites recommended Ad-Aware at that time (about a year and a half ago).

Many on this site have talked about Ad-Aware being useless, and it never finding anything….etc…

I have high risk surfing habits. Thus, my security applications get a good workout. McAfee is on my front line and handles most of what I come up against. Ewido, PestPatrol, WinPatrol and other applications have made their mark.

But Ad-Aware Plus never seems to stop or find anything.

Are the people recommending Ad-Aware just basing that recommendation on the free product because it’s free and it might find or remove something? Did it used to be better than it is now? Did everything else just pass Ad-Aware by?

They claim to be revising Ad-Aware -- from the Lavasoft website:

Ad-Aware version 2006 is under intensive development

We have the pleasure to announce that our development team has been busy working on a new Ad-Aware version to meet our loyal customers' high expectations. While the exact release date has yet to be finalized, we can already inform you that the new version, which currently goes under the name Ad-Aware 2006, is a major revamp of the current Ad-Aware product line, featuring new thinking about all key product elements including scan engine, real-time protection and scheduling. We encourage you to keep an eye on our web site and the newsletter during the coming weeks for additional information. ​

But that was pubished in January and there has not been anything said about “Ad-Aware 2006” since.

What is the deal with this product and this company?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

AdAware searchs for spyware based on name, MD5 signature and file location.
    This is definitelly not enough, especially, if its signatures are less than effective.
    Until AdAware does not release updated version, it will just keep being popular junk.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've always used the free versions of ad-aware and it seems to do an ok job. A while ago i downloaded a free version of adaware off ~Removed link - Site is not recommended by Wilders~ and when installed turned out to be ad-aware se pro which has the ad-watch real time scanner. I always thought this was a paid for product only but maybe not. I've tried the ad-watch scanner quite a few times and it seems to pick up quite a few helpful alerts as i browse so its defenitely not garbage imo.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2006
  4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

it is paid...thanx for the link tho.

anyways, for a freebie i think ad-aware is ok but superantispyware and spyware terminator has it beat. Spysweeper, superantispyware, and spyware doctor are also better alternatives to its paid version.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Its actually on the mirror site i just realised ~Link removed - Not recommended by Wilders~
    (down the bottom of the page)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2006
  6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Frank,
    I think your concerns have merit. We shall see if the 2006 version has made the improvements promised. ;)

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some links were removed from this thread. It pays to be safe and download from the legitimate source or listed mirror sites.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  8. muf

muf Registered Member

For people who have been using AS application's for a few years, they will remember when Ad-Aware was upgraded from version 5 to version 6. At that time all definition updates stopped cold. I don't remember the exact amount of time this lasted but i wouldn't be far off with 6 months+. If Lavasoft are developing a newer version then i would expect them to stay true to form and provide either no or limited updates to the current version. In my opinion Ad-Aware stopped being a good AS application a couple of years ago. I had the misfortune to purchase the 'Plus' version thinking that putting money into Lavasoft would help them to develop and improve the product. I was so very wrong! Within 6 months of purchasing my 'Plus' licence i uninstalled it and haven't used it for 18 months or more. There are at the moment far better scanners available. Some have already been mentioned, and i would recommend people try these. Ad-Aware is now only at best an average AS application. It's free, but that doesn't mean it's good. That is about the best thing Ad-Aware has going for it, and that says it all really!

muf

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  9. Togg

Togg Registered Member

I have the Plus version but had problems using the 'real time' AdWatch feature (lack of resources?). My experience has been that neither AdAware nor Spybot find very much, probably because I have Javacool's SpywareBlaster installed.

I remember the gap in updates, but wouldn't suggest that that means that the current version is 'garbage'. One thing that has puzzled me is the recent issue concerning definitions updates with the same date but a different Build number?. My latest definitions are 8th July, but the program thinks they are 38 days old! (and my date/time setting is correct).

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Muf,
    You have a good memory. I started to put similar story in my post above but was short on the details and rather then put out incorrect information I ended it with the wonder of what this new version will be like. Yes indeed I remember the version 5 to 6 change and no defs. :p :thumbd:

Togg,
    I have a license for the Plus version too. It takes up space on my drive and is rarely used. AdWatch is to painful to use. I agree.

Like a Application firewall that never learns anything. :D :thumbd:

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Muf,
    I remember the fiasco surrounding the AdAware version upgrade.
    6 months seems about right and Lavasoft took a real hit over that for a while.

Frank,
    IMO there are better paid and free AS programs.Most of them have been mentioned in this thread already.

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I installed SuperAntiSpyware this afternoon looks good so far. I am going to leave Ad-Aware on my HD and I hope Lavasoft sorts out Ad-Aware soon. Oh I have been using Ad-Awear for several years, and I am aware of their patern of double or triple use of definitions with new build numbers. Sometimes no up date for months and I didn't buy/fall for the plus version because of their update habits.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  13. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Togg,
    You are correct to say that the gap in updates alone does not mean that the program is garbage. Lavasoft's Ad-Aware/Ad-Watch is garbage for so many more reasons, some of which have been named in this thread. I also have the paid verson (Pro) and consider my money wasted. It wouldn't be so bad if I had simply given my money to the company for what turned out to be a poorly performing / under-developed product, but their customer service is among the worst in the industry and I can think of numerous companies / developers that I'd much rather see get my money. Lavasoft's staff are down right rude, especially Steve Jackson. I have removed Ad-Aware from my system because it simply is useless given the far superior alternatives on the market.

STAY AWAY FROM LAVASOFT!!! They are going the way of the dinosaur. Only the dinosaur deserves more respect. What respect Lavasoft deserves for being one of the first AS on the market is lost due to the manner in which they treat their paying customers.

14. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I thought there would be a defense of Ad-Aware.

Unless their new product is phenomenal in some way, I don't see paying for their product again.

I don't think it's even worth keeping the free version.

Possibly dallen is correct in his tough assessment of this company.

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

You have to remember that a few years ago there was only adaware and spybot that were considered pretty decent..and which were free,and many avs didnt include ad/spyware sigs ,so it was recommeneded to use these.Since then newcomers have come on the market and offer far superior products and also free limited versions,such as superantispyware.I too have se plus ,but havent had it installed for well over a year (in fact i havent had spybot installed for even longer due to it being a 98 resource hog).It also fell a little out of favour with its desicion not to detect whenu (some others have followed suit since).To be honest if i were using kaspersky (or other such av) with good ad/spy detection i would not bother with any realtime spyware scanner ,but rather just use it on demand .I woudnt say adware was better then than it is now...its just a case of the competition now is much better and more numerous than then.
    ellison

16. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Ad-aware used to be a lot better than it is now. There's too much not detected for reasons that don't stand up to their own TAC (threat asessment chart). The free version used to have a lot more features that have to be paid for now. In my opinion, it's 2nd rate software.
    Not to mention the way they treated an excellent crew of volunteers, many of whom helped there for years and were tossed out like yesterdays trash. If anything made AAW noteworthy back then it was the dedicated volunteers that nearly lived at that forum.
    Muf, do I remember seeing you at their old forums?
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.