IronKey Secure USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LockBox, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Does anybody here have experience with the IronKey drives? I would like to hear thoughts on the construction, performance, GUI, etc. I have a 2GB Kingston Datatraveler AES DTSP and it's rugged and fast. I like the fact these two drives have true hardware encryption. They're just so DARN expensive!

I don't care about the Ironkey extras like their anonymous surfing with the Firefox browser they bundle with the drive, I've already heard the private onion network that Ironkey runs is extremely slow and unreliable, so I'm interested in hearing about the drive only. Thoughts?

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Not sure if it will hold any helpful information for you or not but there is already a thread discussing Ironkey drives here.

3. LockBox

Thanks Firebytes, I'll go take a look. I would still like to see if anybody who hangs out in the privacy forums here has experience with the drive. Thanks again Firebytes, I'm off to read.

4. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

There are two versions of the ironkey; basic and personal, the basic is just the drive without all the fluff and the personal version is with all the anonymous browsing and password manager. keep a look around the ironkey forums at forum.ironkey.com

5. n33m3rz

n33m3rz Registered Member

Ironkey is over hyped snake oil IMO. If all you are looking for is encrypted USB then just use Truecrypt and encrypt the entire USB, or if you need to take it with you encrypt a shell on it and also carry truecrypt in traveler mode on the non encrypted space.

6. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

n33 - Except unless you have access to administrator mode on the computer your going to be using, TrueCrypt in Traveler mode is useless. Thats why people are using the self-contained setups such as IronKey.

7. LockBox

I want to try an IronKey, but there's a brand new '8GB Kingston DTSP DataTraveler AES Secure Flash Drive' on ebay for only $149! I already have a 2GB that I like alot. Hardware encryption is so nice not to have to run into the admin rights problem. While I'd like to try an IronKey, they are selling their 8GB for $300! May have to consider this other.

I went to the IronKey forums and apparently the private onion routing network they run is as slow as I had heard. Users complaining a lot, so another reason not to care about the added software.

8. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

My only thought. If security is important, how much do you trust E-bay?

Really.

9. LockBox

A reputable seller on eBay is no different than Best Buy if I'm buying a product that is brand new and factory sealed. This is a great time of year for good deals on eBay because people get stuff for Christmas they don't want or care about and sell them cheap to get the cash. I would never buy any security-related products (or a lot of products for that matter) if they were used.

10. IronDrew

IronDrew Registered Member

Hi Gerard, sorry for the late reply. This is my first post in this forum.

I'm Drew from IronKey. If you (or anyone else) has questions about the IronKey, I would be happy to help answer them.

You have mentioned our private onion network, or "Secure Sessions" as we call it. It is definitely slower than browsing directly...since you are adding 3 additional hops to your web traffic, and the bandwidth can be less than some users are used to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.