IR and Image sizes

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beethoven, Sep 1, 2015.

1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I always understood that using IR will affect the size of any images you also create. This seems logical to me given that the snapshots are saved on your OS drive and will have to be imaged too. Since I used primarily archives on a separate harddrive and only left a stripped down snapshot on the OS the effect of this size increase was limited to about 15 gb.
    So when I removed IR yesterday I expected the size of my OS to drop accordingly. While I did not check the relevant data before the removal yesterday, I am surprised to see the current size still about the same size as I thought it was before. Is it possible that despite the removal of IR, the snapshot is still in some hidden file and did not get removed at the same time? Where should I look in this case? On the other hand comparing the Macrium image I took before and after do vary by about 5 gb. That seems more than just "normal" shrinkage due to a program removed but less than the original size of the snapshot.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Beethoven.

Are you sure when you removed IR, you deleted the second snapshot. I always remove the snapshot and them remove IR afterwards.

Pete

3. beethoven

Pete,

no, I am not sure. I assumed that IR would take care of it during the add/remove program bit. I did choose the option to remove everything during the uninstallation but did not tackle any snapshots beforehand. I remember they were in a hidden file - would you know what the normal directory path is?

4. Peter2150

It's in the c:\ISR folder. Did you watch and see it uninstalling the files in the cmd window, and did you notice any errors.

5. beethoven

Pete, I noticed the cmd window come up and then realised that this would take a bit longer than regular uninstalls due to the expected size, so I walked away and watched TV. When I came back it had finished and no, I did not notice any errors. However after having run space sniffer I think the issue is not related to IR - seems I have collected quite a bit of storage via Spotify and Evernote and itunes. So may have to check how to move this off the OS or just live with it.

6. Peter2150

I hear you. I have Train Simulator in Steam and with the routes I have, it takes up 30gb. I am debating what I want to do about it if anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.