iphone 5S --> NSA will now get ppls fingerprints and location

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mattdocs12345, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

See <http://www.ralentz.com/old/space/feynman-report.html>.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

While there is no current evidence it would be in NSA best interest to associate fingerprints with location. Given that NSA has unlimited resources and that NSA has previously used iphone volnurability to access user data it is sound to assume that the same will happen with fingerprint. Furthermore given recent Mr.Snowden's disclouser on the extand of NSA spying on its own citizen it is safe to assume that any propriatary operating system is compromised.

And yes I use iphone.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I browse using the today's posts feature and sometimes forget to look at which forum a thread is in :( Really all threads here should be tagged with [theoretical] or [paranoia] as I feel sorry for anyone coming across them via Google/etc.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I guess some people don't understand all the leaked information (like Snowden's, WikiLeaks, etc.) yet.

5. mirimir

He's just trolling (whether he knows it or not) ;)

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sure I fully understand that people are concerned because of everything we have found out about this and that on this topic so far this year, but my point was that nothing good has been said about this new ID tech, like why it could be better than the tech we currently use etc etc...And Apple won't gain anything by lying about the fingerprint data. The whole iPhone userbase trust aganist Apple is at stake here if they indeed are lying about this, so I don't think they are lying about sensitive stuff like this. So until I see otherwise, I will trust Apple on this that the data stays local. But in any case we will surely find out more about this sooner or later.

You surprised me with that comment :D :thumb:

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I understand, I don't use that feature myself though. :thumb:

8. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

There is already precedent of NSA accessing location data. So it's not really anything against apple but rather the fact that we will provide a digital signature to our location that can and probably will be accessed by NSA since it has happened before in the past. Apple might as well be unaware of it. My bet is that they are as compliant as google and other major companies but that's speculation.

Where I work everybody uses iPhones so I don't want to be the odd guy with something else. Also I really enjoy using iPhones. I had android tablet and I was really misserable with the UI. I looked for windows phones but all of them were either too big, too square like and made out of plastic.

9. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Luckily I'm not doing anything illegal to the point where they would be tracking me all over the place with every tool available in their arsenal.

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Senator asks if FBI can get iPhone 5S fingerprint data via Patriot Act

Senator asks if FBI can get iPhone 5S fingerprint data via Patriot Act.

-- Tom

11. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Re: Senator asks if FBI can get iPhone 5S fingerprint data via Patriot Act

Amen. The only one responsible for keeping your data secure and private is you, the user.

It is bad enough that smartphone users settle on simple 4-digit pass code for locking their smartphones. Some could argue a fingerprint, under these circumstances, is more secure. I'm not sure what is worse: the fact users are generally unwilling to trade some conveniences for security/privacy; or the fact that we as a society can justify using a simple 4-digit pass code as a standard for evaluating smartphone security. This shows the true commitment companies have to data security. In light of the PRISM and Wiki-leaks exposures, you have to ask yourself have we learned anything? Not to mention, finger print scanning brings up questions of self-incrimination. It's one thing if you forget your passwords. It's another if you refuse to scan your fingerprints.

12. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

iPhone fingerprint scanner allegedly hacked already

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/22/apple-iphone-fingerprint-scanner-hacked

Nobody should be surprise.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Re: iPhone fingerprint scanner allegedly hacked already

I am not surprised, everything is hackable more or less. Cars, phones, websites, computers, we see at least one article like this everyday, "blah blah website was hacked" "blah blah got hacked" it will never end. But I am sure Apple will find a way to patch or whatever they can do with this ASAP.

The only good thing is that it was discovered by good minded hackers if they can be called that so no one took advantage of it in a bad way as of yet.

14. mirimir

That's a good thing! Fewer fingers will get cut off ;)

15. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

Re: Senator asks if FBI can get iPhone 5S fingerprint data via Patriot Act

It doesn't matter what you do,
    physical access to a running device and it's 'game over security' .

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic post removed.

17. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Registered Member

Why are people so careless about the US storing fingerprints and even handprints? That's one of the reasons I don't travel to the US. For me, that's the single reason I avoid the US.

18. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Many countries have huge databases of fingerprints from travelers. Do you really avoid the USA because of that? I guess you do the others as well? I don't like it either, but it's a worldwide problem.

19. mirimir

As last I read, probably a year ago, complete DNA sequence costs less than 1000 USD, and the price is dropping as volume increases. Authorities are already using covertly-obtained DNA samples in investigations. It won't be long before DNA sequence becomes a routine part of medical history (to enable individualized treatment) and governmental profile (for obvious reasons). Wow :eek:

Edit: Maybe Internet identity will link to DNA sequence ;)

20. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...ps-on-apple-hacker-claim-stockholm-mover.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.