IP address revealed through JAVA????

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by securityuser, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. securityuser

securityuser Guest

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

Its no trick. For you to ask your question reveals that you are not awear as yet of how much information is gather when you visit a website.........by the way....when you visit a website have you ever notice a very brief "blink" as you enter the website............most often thats to see certain "things"....

Haven't time nor the interest to discuss your question as fully as it should be...........there are numerous ways that information is obtained.......the broswer...what version.......the system......98..2K..Xp......is java enabled...on and on...............so just keep asking questions until you learn how to protect yourself...........good luck

There was no need for me to use your Links......

3. securityuser

securityuser Guest

>by the way....when you visit a website have you ever notice a very >brief "blink" as you enter the website
    >most often thats to see certain "things"....

Honestly, NO.

>Haven't time nor the interest to discuss your question as fully as it should be.

Maybe someone else will have the time and "interest" to explain how JAVA can reveal an IP address.

>so just keep asking questions until you learn how to protect yourself.

Actually that's what I was doing here. Maybe someone will have the time to answer. That is, if anyone knows.

>There was no need for me to use your Links......

I had no idea that being able to discover an IP address, even while using anonymous proxies, was as easy as it appears to be if you leave JAVA enabled. You seem to know a lot from the posts I have read of yours. It's too bad you don't always feel like answering. I would usually take that to mean that you really don't know, but I take your word that you just have a lack of "interest."

Back to my question. Does anyone here have further information on this? I have Googled and find very little info related to JAVA being a leak to your "real ip" even while using a proxy. There seems to be a few of you here at Wilders who might know about this. Help?

Thank you!

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

Please accept my apology.....did not mean to appear rude.....far from it..........there are times when my health isn't so good......has been this way for awhile.......its much improved...yet sometimes the pain returns....an I lose interest in everything.............THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING

Did not need to review the links because of having already research the issue.........see, I don't like giving a half answer....an certainly not to a sincere person as yourself.
    Am wondering why you have java enabled...an using a proxy?

a real quick reply......friend even without java a dump truck full of info is revealed...........do some googling on USER AGENT......also, just as people talk...so do computers......if a proxy is not correct set..it reveals just as if it were not being used...........this could go on...an on.......an tonight I just am not up to it............

others will drop in..........give more details.....what proxy you use..etc. that they can help you better...

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

here is a website to use for testing what you are revealing

http://gemal.dk/browserspy/

a simple proxy can block of of whats revealed.......

but understand this.......a simple proxy does not hide your ip........there are certain rules that used with proxo does confuse some websites...but not all..........perhaps member P2k will drop in to explain this better.......truely I'm not up to it........................
    there are also setting in the registry that reveal certain information....this I wont go into...........

Take a look at JAP....an online proxy..its free....this may be what you are seeking.......JAP will reveal "its" address...not yours.......however, the JAP servers do know your ip address......which is entered into a "mix"......check it out.........used with a simple proxy.....covers you well.........

6. THESNOWMAN

THESNOWMAN Guest

7. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

WELL that was creepy, just wish you would have said it was going to do that!! That's why I used to never clk on links, guess I should go back to that!!

It must be official, everyone knows everything about everybody else! :(

Wish I could help you, too, but I am a newbie at this. I have heard good things about JAP from people who use it.

Also, like Snowman said, P2K is knowledgeable about such.

Have you went into the archives and or went back in the threads here? I find alot of info in them that is still relevant to the subject.

Wish you well on your learning journey, it is long, but eye-opening. See ya at the other end!!:)

Marja:cool:

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

MARJA SAID:

"WELL that was creepy, just wish you would have said it was going to do that!! That's why I used to never clk on links, guess I should go back to that!!""""

Marja......what happened ? Those should be safe links.

there were no odd effects when I went there?
    If anything is wrong with the links...we can ask that they be removed..?

9. Marja

OH Snowy, I always get the creeps when those links tell me where I am!!

Maybe when I know enough (such a thing?) it won't, but to me it still smells like "magic"! Or some kinda skullduggery. :oops:

Thanks tho!1:)

10. Marja

It was the first link, anyway, not your link!!:)

11. securityuser

securityuser Guest

Of course I know how you give away your IP in normal use. What I learned today, is that unless Java/JScript/ActiveX is disabled there are other ways for sites that can, and do, get your IP. JAP also shows the user's IP if Java is enabled. Anonymous proxies ONLY with Java, especially, OFF!

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

lemme add a new link to the mix
    if you're on a LAN... be afraid...
    http://www.auditmypc.com
    I don't trust the site... BUT IT SHOWED ME MY LAN IP ON ITS FRONT PAGE!!!!!
    how can anyone stop this? I don't think its Java... else Firefox wuda died on me.

13. jxkruzzn

jxkruzzn Guest

yes, how does one stop something like this? A shame to think you or your children can't get on the internet without being followed around!

You said even a proxy won't help at that site? How can that be??

14. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Hey jxkruzzn... I'm not sure your post was aimed at me, 'coz I didn't mention proxies.

15. New Person

New Person Guest

I am also interested in this. Does anyone know if there is a way to hide your ip in a java applet, or java game. Is there some way to anonymously use JAVA.

16. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If a Java applet is given network access, then it can either make a direct connection to a website (bypassing your proxy and revealing your real IP address in the process) or send details of your real IP address to whatever site it contacts through your proxy connection. The first method can be blocked by using a firewall with strict rules, but I doubt there is much you can do about the second. The best option is to disable Java by default, only enabling it for sites you trust.

17. notageek

notageek Registered Member

This is interesting read. I have Java disabled on sites and they can still get my IP address. Now when I use the-cloak them sites don't see my IP address. Guess using the-cloak would be something to consider using.

18. ronin

ronin Guest

eh? If you dont use a proxy, your ip is automatically known, you dont need java for that.

19. notageek

That's why you use the-cloak or something like that. :)

20. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

How Java reveals your IP & How to prevent it

The above page explains how Java reveals your IP, as well as how to prevent it. I read through it and followed the instructions, and I got true anonymity successfully. You might want to check it out too.

I currently do not think it's a big deal to reveal my IP. So I no longer bother to hide my own IP now.

21. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Last time I checked, The-Cloak would not allow HTTP POSTS preventing you from using it to order online or post at forums like this. Is this still the case?

22. securityuser

securityuser Guest

notageek, I think you misunderstand. Your IP is always revealed when surfing in the clear, Java or not. Using a proxy like The Cloak can hide your IP address by "hiding" behind their IP. However, if you have Java enabled, a site so inclined can STILL get your real IP by using the Java applet to reveal your TRUE IP address. This is even with using most of the tunneling services - unless one with a true VPN. Strange but true stories from the dark side of the net. Long story short: Don't expect The Cloak, JAP, Anonymizer or anything else to hide your IP from a site that really wants it as long as Java is enabled while surfing those sites. Many forums use this deep find method to keep banned members from hiding behind proxies. No matter what you are behind, Java=THEY CAN SEE YOU.

23. notageek

Paranoid I haven't tried to post using the cloak. I don't use it.

24. ageek

ageek Guest

I'm sure notageek knows this.

25. notageek

Yes I know that. That's why I really didn't respond. Hope it wasn't rude. I don't have java enabled on both Mozilla and Firefox. I also use Proxo with tight filters. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.