iOS Security Guide *new May 2012*

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LockBox, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

2. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

interesting read,dont have an iphone...yet , waiting till its matured to a point to where its acceptable to use , perhaps the iphone 5 will be my first one ,im waiting for a phone with hidden os ;)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  3. x942

x942 Guest

Apple has made the iPhone WAY more secure than it used to be. An unjailbroken device with a password lock is by far a secure device. A friend of mine works in Computer Forensics and was telling me that it used to be only blackberries that spelt doom for an investigation now it's Android and iOS too if configured correctly.

I still enforce BlackBerries in my company but slowly moving to a hardened Android ROM running on the Nexus S (with FDE and SeAndroid). The nice thing about android is that you can customize and ensure the security is proven and not "fake".

4. LockBox

iOS devices are really the only ones encrypted out-of-the-box. At least, that are mass produced and available everywhere. But you can't just go for the quick 4 digit passcode, you must enable strong paraphrases (allows for numbers, uc/lc, special characters, etc.) in the settings. There's a story from a forensics site I read recently about how the iPad/iPhone present difficult challenges. That guide now gives us the details on why that is so.

5. happyyarou666

so you advise nexus s with SEAndroid , OR iphone5 , of course the last option hasnt been released yet but who has an iphone perhaps could add in , hell if nokia 808 would have SEAndroid id know wich one id take ;)

any recommendations would be appreciated

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  6. x942

x942 Guest

I would say that iOS is more secure as per Encryption as it encrypts the entire phone and not just the /data partition and sdcard. iOS also uses 256-bit AES (hardware) vs Android's 128-bit AES (software). Small differences but may be a deal breaker for some.

As far as exploits go SEAndroid is more secure as it hardens the linux kernel with SELinux. That's not to say iOS is insecure but just less secure than SEAndroid.

Personally I prefer Android as I can say what happens and compile it myself, I can also fix exploits before Google may be able to. With iOS (as we have seen) when exploits are released the jailbreak community often sees patches weeks to months ahead of the normal updates from Apple.

I stick with android because of that. iOS is good though if you prefer it. Apple has gotten alot better with security on iOS.

7. happyyarou666

ok so android it is then i guess even thou only 128bit software aes , heard iphone being lots of marketing hype and thats all too it ;)

8. LockBox

Try using one. It's more than "marketing hype." The iPhone and iPads have revolutionized mobile computing. Android phones are great, too. But don't fall for that anti-Apple stuff, I used to feel the same way - until I tried one and I was hooked.

9. Yura

Yura Registered Member

I agree. I think iOS devices are great in their own class. Still hate Macintosh after having Macbook pro. Such a waste of aluminium if you ask me.
    Didn't know iOS is pretty secure. Thanks for links. If you have more forensic sites you mentioned guys, keep them coming.

10. happyyarou666

so perhaps the next iphone aka 5 will be considered afterall ;)

11. x942

x942 Guest

iOS is great. Right now it's rated the most secure mobile OS (not sure how it beats Blackberry since AFAIK BB is the only one cleared for Military use - maybe that's just because of the Encryption though). The only reason I prefer Android is customization and Open-Source.

Open-Source: I can build my own kernel/ROM and do what ever I want. I can also check for backdoors and flaws.

Customiztion: More for my Personal reasons, but I HATE being tied to one platform. I may never leave but give me the option to take my stuff with me anyways. I also hate being limited to Apple's appstore. Android can do everything a Jailbroken iPhone can without even needing to hack it. That is what I like :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.