Iolo Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Antus, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antus

Antus Registered Member

Hi gang:
    Appreciate you input on this anti virus software. Has anyone tried this software out?? I see very little reviews on this anti virus, what can you tell me about it? Detection rate any good?? Any bit of info is appreciated. thanks in advance

2. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

from memory i think it uses an earlier Kaspersky engine v6 i think...

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I think that was correct for v6 but I believe that from v7 (current) the are either using something from someone else or an in-house solution...personally I think that it is the latter from what I have read.:D

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

For those who are serious AV seekers:

Iolo AV has a free one year offer at other thread-- free one trials, not far from this one.

Good luck.

5. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

not any more.

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yea there aren't any serious reviews. Maybe IBK will comment after this round of testing is finished.

7. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

It should be Authentium/Command (F-Prot) Engine.

Mike

8. waters

waters Registered Member

It is their own.They used others in the past but it says on their website it is not now because most customers wanted iolo to use their own ,and they say they had the experiance to do this

9. dogma

dogma Registered Member

If anyones running it, would be Interested in how light it runs in terms of CPU usage. cheers

10. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

Interface looks nice and clean.
    I am interested too in how it performes.
    Wish it was freeware.

11. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I think they are still using the F-Prot engine because their threat center uses the same names for malware that F-Prot uses.

Although, they say it is Vista ready and officially F-prot is still a beta version for Vista.

12. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Could you run a file search for Authentium*.* ?

I remember that I found that dir in 2007 August during a Sw spin.

Mike

13. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

your dreams have come true- http://www.iolo.com/ads/vnu/avpromo.aspx

14. waters

waters Registered Member

iolo technologies' new antivirus and firewall delivered to retail stores in time for Microsoft Vista launch

iolo technologies today announced the release of its new Internet security solutions: iolo AntiVirus™ and iolo Personal Firewall™. iolo AntiVirus defends against viruses, worms, and other infections through real-time detection, integrated email scanning, and scheduled inspections. iolo Personal Firewall blocks hackers and identity thieves from getting in and stops malicious programs from sending private information out. Both iolo AntiVirus and iolo Personal Firewall are compatible with the new Windows® Vista® operating system and scheduled to arrive at stores in mid to late January.

Rather than licensing third-party products as in the past, iolo decided to use its own extensive security experience to design iolo AntiVirus and iolo Personal Firewall internally. These solutions use technology developed exclusively by iolo's engineering staff, and they capitalize on a proven expertise in creating innovative software products for Windows-based PCs. iolo AntiVirus (West Coast Labs-certified) and iolo Personal Firewall (pending similar certification) provide a complete solution to PC protection, with a robust feature set and several noteworthy innovations:

15. flyrfan111

I know what their website says, but F-Prot uses a rather unique method of naming malware and the "New" iolo just happens to name malware the same way. Just one of those things that make you go "hmmmmm"

They also claim to have experience "creating" innovative software when up to now they have always used/licensed other companies products so I wonder where they got all of this experience. I am not making accusations, just wondering.

16. waters

waters Registered Member

Well i just tried finding the latest threats on fprot site and doing a search for these on iolo threat center and they were no records

17. flyrfan111

Iolo's latest threat is W32/Downldr2.AXIB

A cut and paste from Authentium's site describing their new name scheme;

Malware Name Changes

With the definition file release that just got posted there has been some significant renaming of some malware families. This was done for technical reasons.

Some of the families renamed are the W32/Downloader2 family that got renamed to W32/Downldr2. Other changes also included removing some postfixes like @spy. The @mm and @m postfixes will not be removed. Other family names may also be changed in the next few days.

This will influence a significant number of entries in our databases but will have no influence on the actual detection rates or effectiveness of the technology.

http://blogs.authentium.com/virusblog/?p=184

F-Prot malware dictionary site is way behind

Their threat center shows Netsky P as the 5th most detected today and iolo's shows it as the most detected today, notice the same names

http://www.f-prot.com/virusinfo/index.html/

http://www.iolo.com/threatcenter/

Sure looks like the same naming scheme to me, which means the same engine as there is a reason Authentium and F-prot name things the way they do, it has to do with how the engine detects things.

18. waters

waters Registered Member

Ok i checked on fprot site ,it may be authentium then

19. flyrfan111

Authentium uses the F-Prot engine as well.

20. flyrfan111

Authentium's threat matrix;

http://www.authentium.com/threatmatrix/

Iolo's Threat Center

http://www.iolo.com/threatcenter/

Again, very stunningly similar names to Iolo's supposed "New" product

And the top five 5 threats are even in the same order for god's sake,

Me thinks iolo is pulling a scam and making people THINK they developed their own AV product.

21. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Could anyone try a file search for Authentium*.* ? Or try a search in win-registry?

I remember that I found that dir in 2007 August during a Sw spin.

Mike

22. waters

waters Registered Member

Yes i get the same, free with virgin pc guard which uses authentium.Authentium adds its own definitions themselves

23. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I could write a book about my experiences with their software and how they do business. Without being specific, I would certainly look for protection elsewhere.

24. flyrfan111

Defs are put out jointly, Frisk adds defs as does Authentium/Command and users of both products get the same defs.

I would imagine people using products with the same engine would also be getting the same defs as well.

25. waters

waters Registered Member

Authentium uses F-Prot engine and is able to add virus defs themselves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.