IObit Malware Fighter beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by simisg, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icr

icr Registered Member

No point in comparing IOBit and MBAM rather than discussing about their past its better to look forward. They got caught for their antics and received a fair amount of humiliation regarding the same so I guess it really long long time after this news was out so I don't mind trying the software for fun:isay:

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I am very tempted to try this, it reminds of Rising PC Doctor but this has more active HIPS. Anyone running it at the moment? Is it stable?

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i love hips i will try it now;)

4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Ok thanks make sure you post back the results, from the screenshots it looks Winpatrol-ish HIPS.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice interface and it is fast:)
    is it free?

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Currently its is beta so its fully free but it will most likely be like the old IS360 and have some free features then others paid.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ah i see:)

8. icr

icr Registered Member

I guess the key of IOBit 360 Pro might work when it comes out of BETA:doubt:

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I think you will have to upgrade your key to a new MF key. 360 will be discontinued after MF is released.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:D :D :D
    That was awesome...:D :D :D

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

My first impressions are that this program is very light, very beta, not very aggressive, but promising.

The smart scan took about 5-6 minutes on my system and found 5 threats initially all of which were false positives per VirusTotal (that is they got 0-3 hits out of VirusTotal's ~40 scanners). That's typical on my system compared to other respected scanners, although the FPs were different than with Prevx or a2cmd, for example.

When I tried to change the location of where to save the report, the program froze. Also, when I added it to startups, it got the path to its own program (IMF.exe) wrong in the registry autorun entry (missing \ ). That's what I mean by very beta.

When I launched one of those FP programs, IMF blocked the launch to warn about the program and to ask whether to block it or allow it (and whether to remember). Additions to autoruns also generated pop-ups. I haven't tried to throw any actual malware at IMF yet, but the interface looks promising (see pics). It's clearly laid out, there are 8 protection components to enable/disable, and a separate cloud component.

Attached Files:

12. egomoo

egomoo Registered Member

Do you joke me ?

The samples are inactive something like junk files which you unfortunately do not need reboot to delete them.

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Only an MRG member could compare theft (FYI, theft is illegal *facepalm*)to accidents, ROFL.

You need to work on your sarcasm.

14. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Toyota in fairness did not steal the design nor the engine of its competitors. Iobit on the other hand stole MBAM sigs and claimed them as its own. There is a big difference here man. :thumbd:.

Thanks.

15. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Or so you thought!!! :p.

Thanks.

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

o_O o_O

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  17. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I had some time so I did a LanGuy type test. After the 5th link there was no point in proceeding as the computer was horribly infected. I'm not sure whose product they emulated this time but I daresay that they could certainly have chosen better.

The best thing of all was when I attempted to install Malwarebytes on the system: Iobit alerted that MB was malware!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

19. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I had that too -- IObit Malware Fighter auto-starts fine if you fix the registry entry for its autostart. On my XP, the autoruns are in the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run

value: IObit Malware Fighter
    original entry: "C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Malware FighterIMF.exe" /autostart
    correct entry: "C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter\IMF.exe" /autostart

several other bugs or problems I've noticed:

1. When I save a scan report log into "My Documents" it ends up in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\My Documents" (?? what the hell is that?)

2. IMF's USB scan can conflict with or delay other software that try to access USB storage devices - in my case, Zentimo xStorage Manager reported an error message when I accessed it before IMF had green lit a flash drive I had just inserted.

Comment: I think they should have labeled this release an alpha (instead of a beta). It's like nobody even tried out the basic functions of this release (like the autostart) before they put it out.

20. iFront

iFront Registered Member

I tested it with curiosity, found the scan speed quite slow compared to other cloud based scanners.

21. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

heard its pretty heavey on resources too.. :eek:

22. iFront

iFront Registered Member

Guess this beta needs some workout. :rolleyes:
    Overall it seems compatible with others in reatime.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

actually is very light in my xp system;) when i tested but it conflicts with my beloved spyshelter

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

QUESTION: Does this beta require a reboot during installation?

(Reason for asking: I would like to trial the beta using Shadow Defender.)

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it didnt when i tried it;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.