IObit forums hacked?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Jan 17, 2021.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I used it a few years ago, but I didn't like that it blocked some actions without asking for confirmation first.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There should always be a 'block or ask' setting. When there isn't, I guess it comes down to, are the other program attributes enough to justify putting up with the missing setting. Computers can get seriously borked when an over-active security program quarantines a system file.

3. roger_m

Yes that can cause big problems. In my case it wasn't quarantining files, it was just blocking two programs from running, because it mistakenly thought there was suspicious behaviour. Because of this and also due to it slowing down my PC a little, I though the best option was to uninstall it.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Right, saw that. My point was that asking, versus automatic action from the security program, is best... at least for me. I mentioned quarantining system files because it's still fresh in my mind even though it happened probably five years ago, with a very populat antimalware program. They issued a quick fix, but a great many users suffered. It was the event that made me understand the importance of an ask setting

5. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

You're right. That should be implemented.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I would like to know how various AV solutions have dealt with this malware, in my case for instance ESET.

7. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

What's your first AV, why you think 360 is better than it? What can 360 provide that your first av can't? What about 2 avs on 1 pc thing. Now I know ure not a beginner so I give u the benefit of the doubt and ask u, why u think the 2 avs wont fight each other?

8. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

9. imdb

imdb Registered Member

10. itman

itman Registered Member

You probably won't get a lot of Eset user feedback on this one. Eset has treated anything IOBit related as a PUA for sometime.

11. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Andy goes into much more detail in the link I posted.

12. itman

itman Registered Member

The problem here is this statement:
    The name of the .dll was legit. The attacker just named his modified .dll to the same name. Next, it is common for software developers not to sign their .dlls. This also implies the user has knowledge of what .dlls IOBIt license manager actually uses.

Now if one was monitoring registry run key, Win startup directories, etc. activity, the creation of the rundll32.exe entry would have been caught. But again, modifying of the key would require the user to know this was unusual activity for the IOBit license manager.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  13. roger_m

When running 360 in Performance mode, it is compatible with other antiviruses. It's not something that 360 advertise, but if you run its uninstaller, it tells you that you can run it alongside another antivirus if you switch to Performance mode. In general, it's a very bad idea to run two antiviruses together, as it can cause serious problems such as Blue Screens of Death, Windows freezing or major performance issues. However, it's okay to do it, when one antivirus has been designed to work with other antiviruses. Although not a common feature these days, Avast and AVG for example, have a compatibility mode which will also let them be used with another antivirus. In addition to that, some people are running WiseVector alongside Microsoft Defender or some other antiviruses, with no apparent issues.

In terms of protection, I believe that WiseVector is a much better choice. But due to it not yet being able being to register itself in Windows Security Center, if used by itself, Microsoft Defender will still remain active. While you can disable Microsoft Defender it with Configure Defender for example, my experience has been that now and then, Microsoft Defender will become active again. Having another antivirus installed will stop this from happening. While I'll gain little in terms of protection, I do like some of 360's other features like its junk cleaner.

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

yes, i read his post. thank you so much.

15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's an attack that could have fooled me too, so I totally understand it. But most of the time I first run software via Sandboxie, so that might have given me a clue that it was malware. But from what I understood you was using Win Defender and it didn't protect you? Also, Wisevector StopX seems to be pretty good, but it hasn't been tested extensively yet plus it generated a couple of false positives on my system. And from what I read, 360 is pretty bloated, but it's a matter of taste.

16. Floyd 57

Not surprisingly, iobit are very invasive. U download 1 product, BUY OUR OTHER 20000000 PRODUCTS ON 99.999999999999999999% SALE* U NEED EM AND THEY WILL MAKE UR PC TURN INTO A NUCLEAR ROCKET AND FLY U TO SPACE

* - might be subject to further conditions

17. Floyd 57

Not if u use tairiku okami's tweaks and u delete all defender folders and registry keys. Possibly only on new feature updates (such as 1909 to 2004) it might get installed again, or it might not. Proceed with CAUTION https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ClqPEK5JuAYwhvpWW9cM9uJQPvpy-TOk/view

I also have my own tweaks long list but its not complete with the newest version of windows 10 so I rather not share now

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  18. roger_m

Thanks, but I'm okay with running two antiviruses.

19. roger_m

I was running 360 Total Security, not WD. 360 is bloated in terms of features, but is actually one of the lightest antiviruses there is.

WiseVector has been doing exceptionally well in testing at MalwareTips. On my system I've had no false positives. It did detect a few of the PUPs I have installed on my system as PUPs. I was able to easily ignore them.

20. Rasheed187

OK then I misunderstood, I thought that 360 Total Security was your second AV. But bummer that it couldn't stop it especially because it claims to have extra protection against ransomware. But good to know that it's light on the system, but I can't stand AV's with too many features. I'm glad that Win Defender keeps it simple.

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Ransomware gang taunts IObit with repeated forum hacks
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-gang-taunts-iobit-with-repeated-forum-hacks/

22. Floyd 57

****** savage lmao

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2021
  23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Right, they have a more aggressive approach to advertising than others but no other product is installed without your interaction and consent. You have to check an optional offer during installation. So as long as you read what is on the screen, you have all under your control. I for one don't have problem with that. Needless to say that they are not alone advertising other products in this way.

24. Rasheed187

BTW, out of curiosity I installed 360 TS via Sandboxie, and of course it wouldn't actually work because it ran sandboxed. But to me it looked pretty bloated, all kinds of processes with a very basic firewall and sandbox, not my cup of tea at all. I know you test AV's a lot so I must say I'm surprised that you are into this 360 stuff.

25. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Basic applocker/srp which blocks executables from download/temp folders.

Also for that ransomware to add keys to registry meant the machine was already compromised to be able to do that in the first place. How was the uac configured?

lots of questions.

I think a big issue here users tend to auto trust these software vendors, so any interactive approval would be passed by the operator.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.