Inventory of Software Needed on Domain

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Trooper, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi folks,

I need to run a scan on my domain to see specifically, what versions of Outlook folks are running on there machines. I am at a central location, but need to scan about 31 different subnets. If it picks up other software etc that is fine, however I just need (right now) to see Outlook versions being run for a project.

Can anyone recommend any software (free or trial preferred) that can do this? I did a quick Google search this morning and found Lansweeper. Do you think this could do the trick or is there something else out there?

I've used Spiceworks in the past but found in cumbersome to setup and the results were not always accurate.

Thanks in advance!

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You could try and research about Windows PowerShell. If you're running Windows Server 2008, I think it offers version 1, and so you'll have to download version 2 from Microsoft's website. Windows Server 2008 R2 already has version 2.

There's a version 3, but it's a RC, so I wouldn't run it on a production system; but, it's pretty stable, though. :)

You could query the remote computers using WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation). PowerShell works with WMI, .NET Framework...

A quick search gave me this links:

-http://www.powershellpro.com/why-i-no-longer-hate-writing-documentation/614/

-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.02.windowspowershell.aspx

-https://blogs.technet.com/b/otto/archive/2007/03/04/quick-and-dirty-software-inventory-with-psinfo-and-powershell.aspx?Redirected=true

Anyway, research about it, and see if you can find some script that gets info about some program in remote machines and try to adapt it, or ask for help.

3. Trooper

Hi m00nbl00d thanks.

Not sure if this will work for me as I don't have the time to look at and configure scripts. :(

Will keep on the hunt though. I am saving your links for future reference however.

Cheers! ;)

4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

5. Trooper

Thanks I had a look at it, but unfortunately the free version will only scan up to 25 hosts.

6. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

If you can connect to other computers Nirsoft ProduKey may help. It pulls up versions, product ID, and license information for each computer.

7. Trooper

Cool. I've bookmarked it for future use. Unfortunately I need to scan over 700 workstations so I won't be able to use this. That is why I'm looking for a network scanning tool.

Thanks for your help.

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i remember there being a trial version a year ago or so, maybe you could email them and ask for a trial key?

edit- i think you may have attempted to download a different product to what i was recommending, this is what your looking for, a free trial is available, just select the 'enterprise' version.

9. Trooper

I did download and select the Enterprise version. It was limited to 25 hosts.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You're welcome. But, whenever time allows you, I'd learn PowerShell. It's really powerful, and it would allow you to do what you want to do.. and a LOT more! :D

11. Trooper

I hear you. I am just under time constraints at the moment to get this done. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.