Inventec PCIe GBE Family Controller?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Robin A., Jan 26, 2015.

1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AFAIK Inventec is an OEM partner for Realtek. It is possible that Inventec rebranded some Realtek chips and erroneously tagged Realtek device IDs as their own (rebranded) products. This is likely a goof-up. The drivers should not cause significant problems though, other than installing unnecessary software/crapware/registry keys.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I got it also. Lucky for me I'm experienced enough to know what manufacturer makes my NIC, so I hid the update.

It's not the first time I've seen Windows Update misidentify a device and provide the wrong driver, that's why most people recommend never downloading drivers from Windows Update in the first place.

This is however the first time I've heard of this occurring on such a large scale. Whether it was done maliciously or not is completely questionable, I personally doubt it.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

5. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

I would advice against installing that driver.
    I have seen it presented on both Win8, Win8.1 and Win10 machines the last couple of days.

It seems to be Inventec that didn´t pay attention to what they did and made their driver to generic and now Windows Updates offers this Inventec driver to everybody as long as they have a Realtek chip on their NIC.

Now we just need Microsoft to get that driver removed from Windows Update again.

More info here : http://www.pcbanter.net/showpost.php?s=6c95affcc478cd06872e47ff1141c50a&p=3617261&postcount=2

6. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I had this show up in windows update in the past day or two on windows 8.1, since my on board chip is realtek I just hid the update.

7. edelbeb

edelbeb Registered Member

I have an Intel GBE chip on board and I'm being offered the inventec driver also. I suspect inventect is an OEM for both Intel and Realtek and confused their own chips with the ones they make for Intel and Realtek.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.