Invalid boot.ini after doing file restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jamess, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamess

jamess Registered Member

I just bought 9.0 installed it, checked for updates and then created an image to my second hard disk. (xp pro / mce dual boot system). It created an image of 16.1 gb which i validated. Next I tried to make a backup to dvd which took 39 disks before failing (not sure why) but I felt confident I WAS SAFE with the hd image. Next I decided to restore a item from the hd image and picked MS Anti-spyware. All was going fine till I got pop up windows requesting my xp sp2 disk...this i THOUGHT was wierd.So I canceled out and it said operation successful. I then rebooted my computer and now get a invalid BOOT.INI file booting to c:\windows\ on the screen. So I decided to boot from the acronis boot disk and it starts to load then it gives the Invalid Boot.ini booting from c:\windows and stops. What should I do now?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Probably boot.ini has somehow rewritten itself.

To check it, either use the XP CD and choose command console or easier to use go into safe mode using the F8 key.

If in safe mode open up a CMD window and type "cd \" without the quote marks. Then type "edit boot.ini" the text edit progam will open up with
    boot.ini already loaded.

Your boot.ini file should look similar to this

[boot loader]
    timeout=5 //Note this will probably be 30 on your system
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect/sos /NoExecute=OptIn

You will probably not have the sos option. The main thing is to make sure that the disk # is 0 and the partition # is 1

After checking/altering, just close edit down , boot.ini will automatically be saved and reboot and see if that works.

Colin

3. jamess

jamess Registered Member

after I posted a issue here i called MS. They had me go into repair console and do a bootcfg /rebuild process... but it did not work. I did an add and now have 7 selections to boot from and none are now c:\. I now have a d:\windows and an F:\windows. C use to be there but now F has appeared and C is gone. had me fdisk the mbr and run fixboot. Last thing i was told is format is my only choice. My image / backup is on the second drive of this dual boot system (xp & xp mce). So now I'm considering getting a new drive formatting it with xp and trying to see if it will recognise the second drive and allow me to restore. unless you have a better idea?

4. jamess

jamess Registered Member

well I formated the first drive and installed xp. This then made it possible to see the second drive and my image. Am now restoring the image to the c: drive and upon completion of that I will then do the 2nd drive(D)

Thanks for the help...it probably would have worked had I not called MS support..

5. jamess

jamess Registered Member

well now I able to see the image but when I try to restore it i get a E00070020 error. If I check the archive (i copied to another computer). it tests ok . HELP!

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK this is a boot CD problem.

I had this problem until the latest buils 2289 - this fixed it for me. At the moment if you are using a 2289 made boot CD is --

1. If you had v8.xxx then that boot CD will work and restore your image.

2. Download BartsPe which is mentioned in the support pages of Acronis and see if that works. The version of Acronis that you download from the support page (for Bartspe) is the v8.xxx CD restore version.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.