Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That's perfectly fine :D You can PM a scan log to me - I'll probably just change it to the name "Test Virus".

Once in a while, a leaktest will actually mimic malware close enough and then we do catch it but yes, we generally do not detect leaktests :)

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Another interesting one just occured re. 3.0.1.3.

Found the centre of the sys tray ico showing Red, and when I opened the GUI a message was displayed saying that Edge needed a reboot to re-establish protection...no other indication as to what might have caused the 'issue'. Have not seen this behaviour before over the month that I was trialing or testing the beta.o_O

I check the Event Viewer, under 'Applciation' for an entry for today around the time I noticed the Red icon but could no such entry for today at all let alone one for the approximate time of the issue.o_O

Have since rebooted and Edge has re-established protection normally.:D

Is there anywhere else that I can look for information on this that I can pass on to Prevx for analysis?:doubt:

:D

3. PrevxHelp

I'm afraid there probably isn't anything else we can gather from it at this point - best to just keep an eye out for it in the future :doubt:

(Also, FWIW, I changed the determination for your leaktest to 'Test Virus' :))

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

Thanks for the update on the determination update...will double check that later.

Interestingly enough between sending my email and receiving your reply I had another occurrence of the Red sys tray icon...except ths time shortly after the appearance of this a 2nd Edge icon appeared in the sys tray...green this time... and the red one diappappeared as I tried to click on it (expected). Hovering over the green icon the status was flagged as = 'Secure' without the need for a reboot this time.

Check the Event Viewer and nothing appears to have been captured unlike previously. Only difference here is I have just installed the .NET 3.5-related Windows update, etc. Not suggesting that these two events are linked but...:doubt:

Anyway, will monitor for further occurences and advise as to the circumstances under which they occur...if at all.;)

Let me know if you have any suggestions for tracking the cause(s) of this behaviour.

Regards

Baldrick:D

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Attached Files:

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I refer to my post a few minutes ago:

I just read that it needs .net, so I won't be trying this utility any further.

7. PrevxHelp

Understandable :D

However, it was a false positive and is now corrected :) Thank you for your report!

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Thanks! :)

You can see from the enclosed screenshot that I a problem with MBAM. This only started with the update from 3.0.0.199.
    I have decided to trust as always. Also, whenever I run an Malwarebytes scan it takes longer and PrevxEdge scanning popup flashes intermittently in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.Never had this interaction between the programs before....only since the update to 3.0.1.2/3.0.1.3 versions.

Attached Files:

9. PrevxHelp

I think the problem between Edge and MBAM is that MBAM is loading files to scan them so Edge is scanning them as well. You may want to disable Edge when running an MBAM scan (this will prevent the "problem" from happening).

As for detecting MBAM and requiring a Trust Always, could you send me a scan log so I can fix it? (Are you using the newest version of MBAM or an older/different build?)

10. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Do you mean > Right click tray icon > Stop Edge Protection ? If, so I never had to to do this to run a MBAM scan with previous Edge versions......just wondering what has changed in Edge that has brought about this difference in interaction.

Do want me to PM the full log or part only?

P.S. Always the latest version, can't be otherwise if you want to get uptodate definitions.

edit - added word

11. sded

sded Registered Member

I just ran an MBAM scan with version 1.33 and Prevx Edge 3.0.1.3 never twitched. Run it weekly when imaging system. Do you have self protection enabled?

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

If you mean in Edge > Basic Configuration > Enable Self Protection, then I have it unticked.:)

13. PrevxHelp

Edge now scans in realtime from a different area in the system than in .199 which allows it to run faster, however, it may cause more of an interaction between other antivirus software when scanning (i.e. MBAM). It seems like the way that MBAM loads files into memory is triggering Edge to scan files as they're loaded by MBAM.

It might be best to PM/email the entire log to ensure that all of the MBAM related entries are present :)

14. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

My Prexx Edge just plain quit running this afternoon on me. I have the latest version installed. I did a reboot and it's been running fine since...interesting...:eek: :blink: :)

15. PrevxHelp

What happened when it stopped? Did the tray icon change to the disabled tray icon or did it show an error message?

We'd definitely like to fix it if possible :D

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I refer to the scan log which you requested here - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1397293&postcount=1659 and sent by email to you and responded to by you saying that the false positive was fixed.Well, the problem that I mentioned is gone with my last MBAM scan.....everything back to normal!

Can you tell what changed(if you can/allowed)? Afterall, the file/s were there a longtime, even before I started using Edge.

Just curious.:) You can email me if preferable. :D

P.S. Always trying to understand.

17. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It just plain quit, no tray icon and no processes running. Kinda strange...:eek: o_O o_O :)

18. PrevxHelp

It's always hard to say - our signatures are changing constantly in the background as the database tunes them/adds heuristics/etc. so what is suspicious one day could be considered bad the next - it is all very dynamic :)

19. PrevxHelp

Yes, that is quite odd... We'll keep our eyes open for it, but in the meantime I'll quite Vonnegut as you do in your signature and say: "So it goes" :D

20. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Since I did a restart it's run fine. It may be a new install hiccup, I've had a licensed copy for just over a day now...:thumb: :cool:

21. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Tarnak, I noticed edge doing the same when A-Squared Free performed a full scan. Edge had its popup scanning the files at the same time. However, once the full scan completed, slower than usual, additional scans don't have the prompt anymore.

Maybe it happens when edge updates itself to a new version, and then a full scan (from another program) is performed.

I tried another scan with a-squared, and no further popups/analysing from edge.

22. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Hi Saraceno,

If you look at the screenshot - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1397290&postcount=1658 you will see $ISR2,$ISR3 and $ISR6. Something changed in PrevxEdge that brought them into the scanning equation. These are from snapshots taken using FirstDefense-ISR full version which is no longer available. :)

P.S. I have Asquared too, but I have the guard disabled.:D

23. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Does Edge produce low FPs?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  24. Criss

Criss Registered Member

i noticed that after i updated to 3.0.1.3. Prevx edge are continuously scanning file in the background. Is this normal?? o_O

25. PrevxHelp

It depends on your system, but it shouldn't be scanning continuously. Could you send me a scan log (I'll PM you my email address :)) so I can see if there is anything obvious which is causing the scanning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.