Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I just tried it now and as soon as I registered the option to automatically remove blocked files is checked. "Save and automatically apply Block actions" is named "Remember actions on detected files" when unregistered and is allowed because it lets the user suppress the popup and just show a warning dialog in the bottom right corner which fades out without needing any user input.

"Automatically remove blocked files" is unchecked and grayed out if the user doesn't have a cleanup license as that would blur the line between allowing cleanup and not allowing cleanup which is more likely to confuse users than just saying: without a cleanup license, you can't clean anything.

2. PrevxHelp

Correct - however, it may be worth adding functionality to see if the shortcut already exists on the desktop and then recreate it if not - that should clarify the feature better :)

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I see, that makes perfect sense. :) I guess that my case where it wasn't when registering must've been that it was the first final version, or even a beta before the first final version. ;) Even further, maybe I've actually forgotten unchecking this option sometime. :D

4. raven211

Yes, I was actually thinking in those lines - if the user has checked this option previously. :D :)

5. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

Further update on Build 241 and the dreaded freezes. From what I can see froom running the latest beta over the weekend these still do not seem to have manifested themselves yet. Will keep trying to replicate withthe new beat released tomorrow (if you would PM me the link...unless it is the same as the one you PM'd previously) and see if normal activity during the week has any different effect (as how the PC is used weekend compared to weekdays is different).

Resource usage still appears to be down on Build 199. No issues to report so far.

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Baldrick:D

6. raven211

I know that Windows Security Center recognition-implementation is in the works, so I thought I could come with a suggestion for it... Obviously it's probably a checkbox in some settings-area when it's finished, but what I thought about was - if it's possible - having Prevx detect if any other AV or the like is registered in WSC, and if not, enable its own registration. If there is, it disables this feature to prevent registration conflicts - box is unchecked. :) - Maybe this kind of detection both during the installation, and after. :rolleyes:

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I saw no improvement with DW, but went back to OA, which works well with Prevx. There's a startup delay, but OA does that without Prevx, too.

The beta seems good so far.

8. PrevxHelp

Hmm.... Edge does integrate into the security center....

What operating system are you using that isn't working with it?

9. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Joe,
    Have been running beta 241 all day since uninstalling DefenseWall without any problems at all so it would seem that there was definitely a class between the two.
    I had a few problems on the machine the other day when still running bld 199 which at the time I put down to running Zemana AntiLogger alongside Edge and DW but have had Zemana running all day today with Edge without any problems.

10. sded

sded Registered Member

I don't see Edge in Security Center either-just Windows Defender and Avast! under malware protection. Currently Edge 241, two Vista Computers as in signature.

11. PrevxHelp

Ah, in that case, it seems like it is an incompatibility with Vista SP1. Microsoft changed the security center in Vista SP1 - Edge will integrate properly on Vista SP0, XPSP2/SP3, and Windows 7 but the interface is completely different on SP1...

12. raven211

Okay, then the question is if it already has the kind of feature I suggested, cause I, like sded, already have registered software - and for me that's NIS09. TF is by default disabled to register itself since it's usually run together with other AV-like software, and I've left it that way.

I'm running XP, so I only have the AV category and not AS. Does Prevx Edge register itself to both? (It should)

13. PrevxHelp

Edge does register itself to both AV and AS (if it exists). We're going to be looking into Vista SP1 further but currently do not have a solution for the security center integration on it.

14. Swordfish_

Swordfish_ Registered Member

Could I receive it too? (a link to beta) Have some free time this week :)

Best regards.

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Id like to c it replace the uac part of the sec. center instead of the av n as when they r allready occupied by other tools, Joe how about it?

16. PrevxHelp

The security center allows you to add in an antivirus product and it is possible to have multiple antivirus products installed so we just add ourselves to the list.

However, we won't disable UAC as Edge doesn't directly replace the functionality of UAC (they compliment eachother... if you like popups :D)

17. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Prevx Edge does integrate into the security centre as an Anti-virus on Vista SP1. If people are getting the security centre 'x' icon, just turn off the security centre notifications (which you probably already know how to do).

Attached Files:

18. sded

sded Registered Member

It appears to not integrate with SP1 if you have other antivirus/antimalware already showing up. It is missing on both of my Vista computers, Ultimate and Home Premium.

Attached Files:

19. Dark Star 72

Beta 3.0.0244 now available for those with a download link for the beta versions. Have not played with it yet as I have to go out.

20. Dark Star 72

Had a quick play.
    The scheduler page - GUI > Scheduler > Scan Scheduler seems to be stuck.
    If you click on any of the check boxes you cannot untick them or tick the bottom box. Also the 'Scan My System' time cannot be changed. Mine keeps returning to the same time.

21. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Same here

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

sded, previously I had avast! and prevx edge. Maybe prevx edge now shows up on my windows security screen after I removed avast!. Not too sure. Could be something to look into.

23. sded

sded Registered Member

Not worried about it. As long as Security Center doesn't nag; I already know Prevx Edge is active from the green winkie. Thanks for the info though. :)

24. BG

BG Registered Member

I'm seeing the same thing DS.

25. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

Was very recently updated from Build 241 to 244 automatically...great. However, immediately after that Edge ran a scan and turned up what I believe are false positives as the files highlighted are related to the installation of KIS that I have on my system (see attachement).

I chose Ignore in this in this case with each file as I am pretty certain that these are not malicious...but the question is why have they been detected now, ie, with Build 244. o_O

Also found but separately was an alert re. PXPROT.SYS (see 2nd attachment) which I have tried to find on the web but have failed to find any reference to...could this be part of the latest version of the Edge? If so then I suspect that it to is a false positive. Because I was in evaluation mode it only allowed Trust or Buy so I have trusted for the moment. :doubt:

Hopefully you can advise on both of these?

Cheers

Baldrick :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.