Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Running on XP x64, I'm finding that the system will freeze very occasionally for about 20 seconds. The mouse cursor can still be moved, but no redrawing takes place, and no part of the taskbar is working.

I'm guessing that PrevX has blocked some file access (or other action) temporarily, but there is no indication of this. No Internet access is occuring during the freeze.

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

EDIT: In comparison, both the whole NIS09 and TF are under 10MBs - separately of course.

EDIT#2: Nah, forget it :D it goes too much up and down. Still, Prevx Edge is around the same as the whole NIS suite - or more. ;)

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It depends greatly on OS/other software running/etc. but we performed some scientific tests after optimizing it and the average of our tests resulted in a 69.47% reduction in RAM usage, from 36,188kb to 11,048kb.

The actual number of CPU cycles executed by the threads running in Edge was reduced by 51.28%, and the number of handles opened across the system by Edge was reduced by 64.03% (from 506 to 182).

4. raven211

Don't worry - I still agree it's light usage on a system with this amount. The software has the freedom to use as much as it needs to. :)

5. PrevxHelp

Have you added all of the processes of NIS (and clicked "Show processes for all users in Task Manager)? In our systems which run NIS and Edge side by side, NIS2009 uses around 100mb with all processes added together while Edge uses 18mb.

6. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We're going to be looking into this closer now - for now, could you please PM me a scan log so I can see if anything sticks out?

7. raven211

Yes, if the two ccSvcHst.exe are it, and it supposedly is according to Symantec - showing all processes makes no difference in this case. :)

Sometimes the suite goes near 5 or 6 MBs total, but it's not too often I guess. :D Spiking down right now atleast. :p

8. raven211

Hmm... Now I'd to test to see what the scan log looks like just because you mentioned it. :D About it... this sentence sounds weird to me:

"Some non-malicious files are not included in this log."

Well then A LOT of the files on my system are malicious then. :D

The build is 240.

9. PrevxHelp

Ah ok :) Our results may have been irregular in this case :) I'll take another look soon.

10. PrevxHelp

Some <non> malicious files are <not> included in the log - I know, it isn't clear, but this means that there are other clean files not in your log :D

11. raven211

Ah, now I get it - haha! :D :D

12. raven211

Hmm.. the spacing at the top-end here looks slightly too tight IMO... ** Please see attached image! ** In real-time that's... I know it might not look like it in the screenshot, but when for example scanning, say, the recycle bin. :p Just the first thought that passed my mind. :D

Attached Files:

13. PrevxHelp

This will be fixed in the next release :D Thanks for the suggestion!

14. sded

sded Registered Member

I don't have NIS, but find the memory usage of Prevx Edge under Vista Ultimate with 2GB to be comparable to that of Online Armor, also pretty light.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  15. raven211

About the Advanced Scan-feature... Two bugs and one question.

The bugs:

1. Do the following order: a) Click on Custom Scan b) Click on Deep Scan again. You should now notice that the selection of files and folders for the custom scan is still available! This does not apply going back and forth to other types of scans than the Deep Scan from the Custom Scan (e.g. Quick or Full). If it's not completely clear what I mean, ask and I'll try to clarify. :)

2. The second bug of the Deep Scan... The text down to the right explaining that scanning the system is just a simple analyzis is not visible when this type of scan is selected.

The question:

How does "Smart Scanning" make a difference and is different, and I would suppose it's not nearly as thorough since it's not checked by default?

16. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Just checked and running 3.0.0.199 here, registered. When the final version is released to reg'd owners, will it be auto updated to the current one available? If not, how do I get it?

17. raven211

Hmm.. sded's post gave me a thought... Is your system with NIS09 running Vista or XP? Mine is a slightly optimized installation of XP with SP3. Just in case. ;)

18. raven211

About the big "Scan Now" text in the main-window. From what I recall, this is supposedly a Deep Scan. Is that completely correct, or is it Deep Scan with Smart Scanning-option or something? :)

19. PrevxHelp

#1: Yes, this is most definitely an issue - just reproduced it myself :D It will be fixed in the next release :)

#2: The actual issue here is that Full Scan doesn't hide the message as Deep Scan does. A Deep Scan will check your system for rootkits and analyze loading points, etc. (granted, it still isn't going to reflect all of Edge's detection as we can't fully analyze the behavior on-demand) but, the Full Scan actually does run a Deep Scan within the full scan itself so it should hide that text.

Smart Scanning makes the scan faster by optimizing its checking across files. If your system is clean, you would definitely be fine running with Smart Scanning enabled (it will significantly improve the speed of a Full Scan).

Please let me know if you have any further questions or break anything else :D

20. PrevxHelp

Scan Now is a Deep Scan with Smart Scanning disabled :)

(Also, to consolidate posts :D - the NIS system I last looked at was running Vista which would easily explain the added memory usage as well)

21. PrevxHelp

You will receive the new version automatically as soon as it is released for update for existing users (new users get it a bit sooner than existing users to mitigate false positives from other security products).

22. raven211

... and a Custom Scan could theoretically be as thorough as e.g. a Full Scan by selecting all those drives, so the text could be hidden, depending on what's selected there, too - but that's so unimportant and just me totally fooling around with thoughts. :D

So, basically, Smart Scanning is not doing as thorough analyzis of the files and such it scans and is therefore less safe and not desirable if you're not on a undeniably clean system, but definitely makes the scanning process faster?

23. PrevxHelp

Argh :D My thoughts are fooled around with too often anyway!! :D

You are correct about Smart Scanning, however, Full Scan/Custom Scan/etc. don't really provide much of a benefit over the Deep Scan on a real system anyway as the Deep Scan covers all real infections (it just won't find a collection of malware sitting idle on a system, for instance).

24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Holy moly you added a program improvement request in 2 days, it takes some vendors years to add or change simple things like this but much appreciated Joe :thumb:

n Joe am definetly liking the Vista Style GUI Changes

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this PrevxEdge is freaking cool;) just trialing for 30 days and it is very impresive:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.