Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denis

denis Registered Member

Can i have a link to the new beta? thanks:)

2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

3. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Very nice:thumb:
    I wonder how many people noticed among the alternative video clips listed down the right hand side of that page that there is an interview with Marco Giuliani (Eraser H) of Prevx. Pity it is in Italian but nice to put a face to someone who posts here on a fairly regular basis. All we need now is an interview with Joe:D

4. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

Here are the details of what happened when I used update to go from beta 234 to 237. NOD32 thought a trojan was being installed. Any reason why it would actually have a name for the trojan, rather than just some vague warning?

21-Jan-2009 10:58:30 AM Real-time file system protection file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PrevxCSI\pxinstall296.exe probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Event occurred on a new file created by the application: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PrevxCSI\~PrevxCSIUpdate.exe.

21-Jan-2009 10:58:29 AM Real-time file system protection file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PrevxCSI\pxinstall593.exe probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Event occurred on a new file created by the application: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PrevxCSI\~PrevxCSIUpdate.exe.

21-Jan-2009 10:58:27 AM Real-time file system protection file C:\DOCUME~1\Diane\LOCALS~1\Temp\pxinstall0.exe probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Event occurred on a new file created by the application: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\PrevxCSI\~PrevxCSIUpdate.exe.

I assume there wasn't a real trojan sneaking in, just a FP as you said earlier.

5. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Have been running the beta 237 for a several hours, very light and very smooth. A few observations:

1) New 'Help File': very clear and concise :thumb:
    2) Installation options at the start of installing. Option to randomize file name. Another nice feature, I wasn't aware of this until reading the help file so reinstalled so as activate it.
    3) Scheduler: Scan after boot up, this comes in as soon as everything else has loaded up, option for scan window down by the clock. Works now, every time, every boot, no problem.
    4) Suspend Edge option: whether tried from the task bar icon or the GUI all I can get is the option to go into Install Mode for 15 mins, if I right click for the drop down window options-'enable in x mins/hrs' there is just a quick flash and it's gone. Didn't have this problem before.

Now for a bit of info:
    In the unlikely event that I should pick up an unknown zero day malware/drive by etc. just before I shut the computer down for the night and before Prevx had identified it would Edge detect it as soon as I started up in the morning or would I need the Boot Up scan to detect it?

Last one:
    I seem to remember with Prevx 2.0 that there is an option for password protection of the GUI, is this on the cards for Edge as well eventually?
    What I would like to see is the option to password protect Edge so that only the person who knows the password is able to answer anything but Block for an alert. If anyone else but me is using the computer and a warning is triggered they can easily allow it to run instead of blocking it. ie: it needs a password protected default-deny option for those circumstances.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This is still their same FP on us - it is generally named Win32/Genetik and you aren't being infected :) Those are the temporary files used during installation :)

7. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    Good catch - we've reproduced the issue with the drop down menu and will have it fixed in the next update :)

If you encounter an infection before you shut down, Edge will assume you wanted to block it and then automatically remove it (depending on your settings). It won't show another prompt on bootup but that may be a good feature to add in - "Unacknowledged Infections since your last bootup". I've forwarded it on and it will be added to the todo list :)

We have password protection in the works as well and it will be included when we release this new version officially :)

8. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 build 506 and klif.sys is detected as a malicious file by PrevX Edge.

9. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    Could you please click Tools and Settings > Save Scan Results and send me a scan log via PM?

10. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Why does PrevX Edge send a lot of data over the Internet when not performing a scan, and what info/data is being sent ?

11. PrevxHelp

Edge analyzes the behavior of programs running on your system and sends that up to our database to be analyzed. The data does not contain any personal information - only information about executable programs which are performing actions on your system :)

12. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Am an active user of 2.0. Is there an "update" to this version from 2.0? Could I please have the beta site to download?

Never Mind! Found the site on Google and got the licensed swapped right off the bat. Good job!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  13. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

hello Joe,

a belated update:

the post clean-Up scan crash appears to be a thing of the past on my system. cleaned 149 infections, with only a very minor bump (Edge did not start-up once properly, reboot cured, no reoccurance)

the improved heuristics are a little scary! i merely moused over a malcode file and Edge BLOCKED it...nice! isn't it??

thanks for the Help Files Joe, also nice. yea, i'm sure!

Mike

14. PrevxHelp

Great to hear :D If all goes according to plan, we're looking to get an updated version of the current beta out to the public mid-next week with some new interface improvements and an even more powerful cleanup engine.

Thanks as always for the testing and please let me know if you run into anything amiss :)

15. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Hi all,id like to test prev x new beta,can i have a link to the new beta?

THANKS

16. PrevxHelp

lunaticdreams: I've sent you a PM :)

Also, in the next few minutes, a new beta version will be released to existing beta users.

The changelog includes:

A new GUI (mostly the same content but new, nicer graphics :))
    Significantly improved cleanup against difficult infections like Vundo
    Reduced the need to reboot your computer multiple times when cleaning large infections
    Improved rootkit detection
    Some small bug fixes in CSI on Windows 98 and NT4
    An ironically SMALLER executable size and even smaller memory footprint now (we're not stopping any time soon with the optimizations either :D)

As always, please let me know if you find any issues :) We're working on some improvements to 64bit scanning which should make Edge lighter on x64 but after that we're getting close to releasing this as a new update :)

17. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Don't forget that probably the most important performance-factor today would be the CPU-footprint. :rolleyes: Every company developing software like security products always bring the fact "Less RAM usage, less RAM usage", and I always think "yes, it's good and all if the software still perform as well, but what about the CPU cycles? That's freakin' where it feels and always will!" :doubt:

Now, apart from that, I'd gladly like to be a beta tester of the new versions and report anything I find in this topic. Can't hurt to still have an overall lighter experience. :)

18. raven211

Is this kind of data only what's not known to your db? I certainly suppose it's, but please explain since this process seemingly slow down what you're doing - wether it's e.g. installing software or actually running it. :)

19. PrevxHelp

Essentially, our database tells the client what its interested in or hasn't seen from other users and the client only sends up the pertinent information. We are always working on streamlining the communications, of course, but there are cases where a user has an odd version of a file and we need more information than usual from it :)

20. PrevxHelp

I completely agree. However, less RAM usage does in turn generally mean less CPU usage in the fact that there is less paging going on within the process and less area to actually cover within the structures in memory.

In the interest of outlining more precise data about CPU usage, the overall number of threads has been reduced by 51% which does significantly reduce CPU usage (however when not scanning, cpu usage is generally 0% anyway :D)

21. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Thanks for the Beta,
    "Also, in the next few minutes, a new beta version will be released to existing beta users."
    can u send me alink for the new beta?

22. PrevxHelp

The link remains the same across all betas :)

23. raven211

Now I remember that I already have the link and just updated my software to the beta version. :D Is 240 the one that was supposed to be released in minutes?

24. PrevxHelp

Yes :) 240 is the current newest version. 241+ should surface by the end of the day with a few minor changes so far :)

25. raven211

While we're at the discussion about RAM usage :rolleyes: (or I'm just stuck with it :D) - what was the previous estimated amount? Here on my system with 2 Gigs it's currently using approximately 14MBs. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.