Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mosqu

Mosqu Registered Member

The self-protection of Edge can cause this behavior, if other security-apps try to self-protect themselves, too. Under Windows this specific self-protection method is available for only one security app (AFAIK). Disabling self-protection could help.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

:thumb: Exactly :D

3. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

Yes to all: Self Protection is enabled. The scan says "Protective Scan Initiated". And I would love a a link to the test version.:) Thanks for responding so quickly. Now I wonder what program is modifying the system at bootup? I have Mamutu trial installed, and Use Comodo Firewall and NOD32.

4. PrevxHelp

I'd imagine it is either any of those three or all of those three :D I'll PM you a link and let me know if it fares any better for you :)

5. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

Here on my machine it is still resulting in a delay during booting the system.
    All settings in Edge regarding auto scan and auto update and self protection are disabled now, still a delay. FWIW: it starts as last in the row and then the delay. I don't like that.

How's the coming version regarding that issue Joe? Any better?

6. PrevxHelp

Not sure what you mean by "last in the row" as our protection driver loads very early in the bootup process but I'll send you a link to a new version to see how this fares :)

7. paniccom

OK, I downloaded the beta version (3.0.0.234). Installing it was odd, since it didn't do a usual install routine, it just opened up the configuration window. I restarted, and no scan ran at bootup, then when I dug around in the settings, I noticed that self-protection was no longer activated. I assumed that the update had simply chosen this as the default, and that once I activated self-protection again I would get the bootup scans. Thankfully, that wasn't the case--the bootup scans are gone.:D Oh, BTW, since I couldn't find any "about" link to see what version I was running and there is no indication in Windows add/remove programs of the version, I wasn't sure if I actually updated at first. It took awhile (and some squinting) to see the version number at the lower right corner of the configuration screen. Please, some consideration for us users that are getting up there a bit in age!:doubt: Thanks again for info and update.

8. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    You wouldn't see an install routine as v234 would just update over v199 automatically (and silently). Good to hear that the on-bootup scan is gone :) The version is just shown only in the bottom right corner - I agree that it is not the most visible of places for less-than-perfect eyesight :D

Please let me know if you run into any problems with this version - it should be ready for wider public consumption within the next week or two and we will start distributing it then :)

9. BJStone

Did an uninstall, reboot and install of the .234 version. After that the system was completely unresponsive, even after a couple of reboots. I had to restore an image to get back on track.

I'll try that next and see what gives.

10. PrevxHelp

Could you let me know what other security software/OS you're using? We haven't experienced any issues like this at all but are definitely interested in solving them before we release this next version.

11. sded

sded Registered Member

Could the avast! self protection be related to the issues I am having trying to run .199 with the OA3/Avast! combination? Thanks; Ed.

12. PrevxHelp

This is definitely a possibility. With the way that Windows is designed, trying to load multiple self protection modules in the same operating system could cause instability. We've been working on a new technique which will improve compatibility but if you have experienced issues using multiple AVs with self protection on and Edge with self protection on as well, we recommend that you at least disable Edge's self protection to regain stability.

13. sded

sded Registered Member

Thanks; I'll play with it again on your next release. :)

14. capatt

capatt Registered Member

Hello
    I was having the same problem with the boot scans. I had unchecked everything related to scheduled scans, AND unchecked self protection. I have no other security software loading.
    What's more, it causes all sorts of errors in the Event Log when the computer boots. Here they are, in order:

Event 7011, WZCSVC, Timeout waiting for a transaction response
    Event 7011, ShellHWDetection, Timeout waiting for a transaction response
    Event 7011, SharedAccess, Timeout waiting for a transaction response
    Event 7011, SharedAccess, Timeout waiting for a transaction response (again)
    Event 7011, WZCSVC, Timeout waiting for a transaction response (again)
    Event 7011, SharedAccess, Timeout waiting for a transaction response (again)
    Event 32003, The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. Etc

This occurs when I have the CSIScanner Service set to Automatic. I've been able to repeatedly duplicate that the errors above are caused by Edge. It delays by 4 - 5 minutes the amount of time it takes to establish a wireless internet connection. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Edge several times. Seeing that several of the errors pertain to the Windows Firewall I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, set it to default settings, verified correction operation according to a MS KB article on troubleshooting the firewall, etc.

The only way to avoid the errors are to manually start the CSIScanner service after the normal boot process completes. Then, it runs just fine.

It looks like Edge does indeed load very early in the boot process, causing delays in the proper start of several other services. This is true whether self protection is enabled or not.

I'm running XP Home SP3 on a EEE PC 901, booting from a 32GB Runcore SSD. Boot is fast (< 1 min) without Edge, very slow with Edge. No other security software.

Thanks

15. paniccom

I had originally installed the beta on top of the regular version and had no problems. After seeing your post, I uninstalled prevx completely, then installed .234 from scratch, as you did. Still no problems.

16. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    I've PM'd you a link to the beta version - if you could try that out and let me know if it works better for you when set to automatic, that would be great :D

17. BJStone

Avira AntiVir Premium
    Norton Antibot
    Online Armor free (2.1.0.131)
    besides the above and PrevX Edge nothing else in realtime.

The 'install on top over the old version' BTW went silk as smooth, no problem.
    The problem afterwards - even after a reboot for good measure' was with OA, complained about the new version and only allowed me to either allow or block, but no button to check for subsequent boots.

What I did was clean up OA, rebooted and that took care of it, no more problems.

18. BJStone

I think I see what the problem was in my case... didn't shut off Online Armor, I think that is the culprit which disturbed the install process. I have seen this a couple of other times with OA: afterwards, when uninstalling, shuttings down OA and then reinstalling the program it works smooth without problems.

So I think this was a self inflicted problem on my part.:thumbd:

19. PrevxHelp

This is very good to know - I'll be sure to make a note of this for the future so we can direct other users to the correct solution :)

It is generally recommended that you disable other AVs when installing Edge and that you disable Edge when installing other AVs. The changes made to the system occur at such a low level and do tend to look quite suspicious so disabling everything should help alleviate conflicts :)

20. capatt

capatt Registered Member

Regarding my earlier post, Prevx support contacted me almost immediately and provided the beta. Thanks for the very quick response! This is why I stick with Prevx.
    I installed the beta with default settings and experienced absolutely no problems through two complete boot cycles. Then I enabled self-protection and still no more problems through another two boot cycles. So far so good. Also, I noticed memory usage is far lighter. Impressive.

I saw their latest blog posting about their track record with conficker. It's worth reading:
    http://www.prevx.com/blog.asp

Thank you!

21. ParaNodes

ParaNodes Registered Member

Prevx folks,

This is getting annoying.I'm getting you are infected emails every time prevx scans,yet scan results show secure.
    Logging on to my prevx console is hit/miss, clicking on links in the console is hit/miss.
    Email say's select Alerts to modify,there is no clickable Alerts.
    Console now say's URGENT WARNING, Your sms credits have been used, you must add more sms credits, WHERE, HOW.

Edit: Finally able to get to the manage tab, I see you want money for sms credits ?.* NOT* a chance. PE is about to get yanked.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  22. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We are constantly working on improving MyPrevx. If you could PM me your license key, this would be very helpful in diagnosing the problem.

23. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I have a problem, I just reinstalled my whole computer, and now Prevx Edge says that my license can only be used on 1 computer... pretty weird because this is the same (and only) computer I used Prevx Edge on as before.

I really hope I don't have to request a new license key every time I reinstall my computer... because that would really suck.

24. PrevxHelp

Our licensing is locked down to a single Windows installation so yes, you will have to request a reset every time (but we've generally lenient towards this so either PM me your license or send in a support message and we'll get it fixed for you :))

25. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Oke, but suppose I reinstall my computer 4 times in a year, I presume that won't be a problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.