Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Joe

Nope...no shortcut that I can find. Have yet to reapply the MS Update. As soon as I do I will post back with the result. Will probably be when I am on holiday over the festive break.

If there is anything that you would like me to try/information you require do not hesitate to either post back on this subject or PM me. I will assist if I can.

Cheers

Baldrick;)

2. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

On boot today, the Edge icon is not in the system tray - although there are 2 Prevx processes running.

I suppose it's working? o_O

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Just to throw out a guess, I'd tend to think that it could be that the Edge GUI tried to load before Explorer loaded so there was no place to put the icon. I'll be sure that we anticipate this in the next release :)

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thanks. :)

5. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Yup, had the same here too a couple of times recently. Seems to be working though and corrects itself on next reboot.:D

6. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

i know it's only been a little more than a month since Edges' release, but do you have a status on any of these professional independent test?

Mike

7. PrevxHelp

I haven't heard anything back thus far, but as soon as I do, I'll make a post here :)

8. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

i have few questions about PrevX Edge.
    If i have SAS PRO running in realtime, then could i replace them by PrevX Edge? does Prevx E. have spyware scaner?

second question - if my one-year license for PrevX Edge will the end then what happens if i will not renew them?

9. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

With the eval version sometimes (better say regularly) after booting:

XP SP3 full updated
    NOD32
    Norton Antibot
    Online Armor free

The Prevx Edge icon is there, but with a black dot in the middle, instead of the usual green one. It stays that color, unless I right click the icon and select 'Scan my computer'.
    It then does a scan and after that the dot in the icon goes green, like it should be. (off course only when your system is clean! :D ).

Now with the paid version it happened again one time in the last four or five days I'm using it as a paid version.

I'm not sure but I have a feeling it has something to do with interacting with NOD32 starting up and possibly the Wifi in this Notebook (Acer TravelMate 6465WLMi): I never use the Wifi and off course it's turned off with the notebooks hardware switch on the front panel. While booting Windows always comes up with a balloon 'Wifi not available, blah blah blah'. (as if I didn't know that, I switched the bloody thing off myself because I don't need that.)

This Wifi crap always delays the booting process, NOD32 is another one (only a very very slight delay while it is updating during the boot process of Windows), so these could potentially interact or clash somewhere, fighting which each other who comes first. Just my thoughts, I could be completely wrong of course...

The icon problem of Prevx Edge is not a big deal for me, but nevertheless I would like to see it not happening. When it doesn't happen, during boot somewhere in the process Prevx Edge displays a nice little balloon in the right hand corner stating it did its work. (nice BTW)

Weird IMO.

10. BJStone

I just disabled the Wifi in The Network Connections window for now, so it doesn't get started when I boot up. I'll see how it behaves now for a couple of days.

11. PrevxHelp

I think this is related to the issue which Biscuit described, but its hard to say - I've personally never seen this happen, but we're working on testing to see if we can reproduce any of it.

12. BJStone

FWIW: Self protection is not enabled. (If I enable that I get other problems with Prevx from which I've read about in this thread.)

Until now all is well. I'll keep an eye (or two :D ) on it and report back the moment it misbehaves itself. Albeit I have full trust in it now.

13. PrevxHelp

You can always use both programs - Edge is compatible with SAS (although Edge does have an advanced spyware scanner built in, but it's always useful to layer security :))

We do not automatically re-charge after your license expires so after Edge expires, it will revert to just scanning your system (not protecting).

14. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Two weeks down the line, any news on this conflict between Edge and GeSWall. Has this been resolved or is it still being looked at?

Edit: Didn't realise the screenshot wouldn't show up.
    See post's 1095, 1099, and 1101 - 1106 for reference.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  15. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Hello,

I've been trying to use the Advanced Scanning in Tools and Settings but it isn't working. It progresses time wise but no file progress (%0) for 5 min. Clicking cancel it changes to Abort from Scanning and time progresses for 5 min. Then, I click close and the whole computer freezes, nothing accessible via input devices. No ctl+alt+del, no mouse, nothing. I have tried the right click on tray icon and that freezes the computer also.

16. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Hi,

thank you for your report :) We're already working to fix this issue.

Indeed, this will be fixed in the next release that will come along with a number of improvements too. It'll be released soon.

17. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    (Sorry I missed your post) This is an unavoidable problem from our end. The other product which I'm aware of which is causing this is Pareto AntiSpyware. When Edge tries to open up the browser window, it has a long querystring (of ~200+ characters). This is overflowing the buffer of the injected DLL from the other security software and therefore causing it to look like Edge is the crashing program.

There isn't a whole lot we can do at the moment to prevent this, however, we have put in some small measures to shrink the querystring a bit to hopefully stay within their buffer but this new version is not released yet.

18. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Joe,
    Thanks for your answer, I assume that the way in which GeSWall isolates processes etc. has some bearing on this behaviour? However as long as there is no impact on the protection that Edge provides I am OK with this as I can always open the help file when it is finished from the Prevx home page instead of the Edge GUI.
    Also, I have seen it mentioned in another thread here at Wilders that Edge is to incorporate an undo/rollback process. (Wasn't this available in Prevx 2.0) Is this already a part of Edge or still to be implemented?

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I hear there are some neat things coming.;) Where will it end.:cool:

20. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We have confirmed that the GeSWall incompatibility will not affect Edge's protection at all (just a bit of usability for visiting the help file/homepage).

Edge can rollback files which it cleans up, but it still does not have the feature to rollback all changes made by a certain program. This is in the making still but will not make the next update, but I'll post when it finally is finished :)

21. PrevxHelp

It won't end for quite some time :D The changes in the next release aren't very visibly interesting but we've been doing a boatload of under-the-hood improvements and optimizations.

We've also been adding compatibility for some very old OS's to CSI (Edge support to come soon after). The next release of CSI will support NT4, 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, and we've had positive early reports about compatibility with Win7 as well :D

(However, support is still limited to 32bit OSs but 64bit is coming soon :))

22. interact

interact Registered Member

23. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    Could you please send me the 4 undetected samples? I will see why they were not found.

However, testing Edge with the internet off is a completely flawed test as Edge depends on the internet to detect new threats (by removing the internet you are essentially testing a standard AV with no heuristics or definition bases... which doesn't leave any product with much :D)

24. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Can't wait for the new update :thumb:

25. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Sorry to say this, but I watched your shodown 1 through 5 and your tests are bad. You show no configuration settings, you test products like WinPatrol and Defensewall like anti-virus software, yet these products work totally different. And you test certain products, like Prevx, in a wrong way. Prevx makes use of in-the-cloud technology, so all the scanning and detecting is done at the Prevx servers and not at your local computer, so cutting of the internet connection for anti-malware programs that fully use in-the-cloud technology is really not fair.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.