Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes, that is the default value - you can set it higher but it increases the risk for false positives. Medium is our best balance between security/unnecessary prompting :)

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I can't even get to that screen. Ducks but and all.

3. PrevxHelp

We've had no other users at all come in with complaints like this o_O I'm guessing there is something different with your system which is causing it, but could you try uninstalling any other security software to see if that fixes it?

4. capatt

capatt Registered Member

5. galileo

galileo Registered Member

Curious remarks regarding the "Cons" in that article: The comment about leaving behind file and registry traces after cleanup. Is that an issue that ongoing development will be addressing....or is it even a fair comment at all...?...o_O

6. PrevxHelp

We are working on this, however, the problem they are referring to is leaving behind traces like a link to a website on the desktop or a malware configuration file in a program folder or an empty/inactive registry entry.

The entries/files which we leave behind aren't threats but if we want to make the system 100% like it was before the infection, we need to include some extra information for removal - we will be adding this soon :) (However, after cleanup, you will definitely be clean from the real threats)

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Hi,
    could you please check this? Only Prevx detects it as malware. Thank you.

[BMP] (ACTIVE) c:\windows\installer\{4761eb82-e8bd-45a4-b19b-586fa9d1d7e6}\iconef5c48883.exe [PX5: 394D0F21006069103A18193B3C2E070088FA63E6] Malware Group: Medium Risk Malware

8. PrevxHelp

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

This is great. I really think that between this and the review at Malware.com, it shows that Prevx is not only a contender, but may prove to be one of the best out there.

Really good Joe.:thumb:

10. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I purchased a license for Prevx 3.0 because of this thread. I really do like it. It is light, easy to use and from what I can tell pretty effective. Found only one thing on two computers. Here is the problem. I use Vipre as my AV, which I also really like, but Prevx and Vipre do not play well together. I sent logs for both my laptop and desktop to support for analyzing because Vipre was getting stuck during quick scans at the rootkit portion. It was taking 30+ minutes for something that should take maybe 2-3 minutes. I needed to turn off the rootkit scans in Vipre to get the times down again. The first response told me that Prevx was tweaked and scan times should be better on my desktop. The second response I was told that Prevx had contacted Sunbelt and that the programs will not play well together and the fix is not simple. I have since uninstalled on both machines. Is Sunbelt and Prevx working to resolve this? Is it overkill to want Vipre to run rootkit scans along with Prevx doing its job also? Maybe I am expecting too much. I really do like both products. Any thoughts, Joe?

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The PCMag.com review is great.

Joe, you should ask the Web Designer to link this PCMag article to your front page. It's current, well written, and would interest many potential users. :thumb:

12. PrevxWebDesigner

PrevxWebDesigner Former Prevx Moderator

Unfortunately we can't yet - awaiting approval from PCMag (they have lots of terms and conditions) ;)

13. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

All cool. I'm assuming they would want say their logo on your page.

Considering how popular they are, hope your CEO approves it on his end.

Great screen-shots, full description of how it works, comparisons to other products, and receiving the editor's choice for antispyware, what more could you want for a first review (of the new version). :thumb:

14. PrevxHelp

We have talked to Sunbelt about this issue but they have said that Vipre is incompatible with any other AV because of how they work. We are working on a new behavioral monitoring engine which will hopefully get around the difficulties with Vipre, but this is still a few weeks away. In the meantime you may want to disable the Vipre rootkit scanning as Prevx 3.0 will protect you from rootkits (and detect them on demand).

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

15. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

Joe, I really appreciate the quick response. It goes a long way in the faith of the customer and your product.

16. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Joe, do you know why that Norton crack (which contained malware...) that I tested against Prevx went undetected already from start? I'm thinking of re-evaluate Prevx, but I need to know why that happened as TF would detect every single step, Prevx not doing a thing. o_O

EDIT: Oh right... I forgot the time it takes when it sends data of a new file or the like. :p:gack:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  17. PrevxHelp

Its hard to say but you were the first user to ever see that file (it had never infected anyone else) so chances are we just required more data about it.

We aren't 100%, neither is TF nor anyone else, so things can get through. However, for proof that we actually do detect things, you can read the recent PC Magazine review :) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346861,00.asp

18. raven211

Okay, thanks - and also the edit from my last post: "I forgot the time it takes when it sends data of a new file or the like." ;) :)

19. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If I can quantify my affliction then we would be able to determine whether I am alone.

So far I have seen improvement in the the aloneness.

Using RKU with report scan gets a trojware.win32.agent alert from Comodo AV.

Would you be interested in the RKU report?

I'm sure you are interested in what may be blocking Prevx 3.0.

20. PrevxHelp

Definitely :) Send me the report by PM or email :)

21. raven211

So, if you required more data about it, it means it would still get through?

Also, what about the long time that it takes when things are sent to the db, that's, several EXTRA seconds, for example when just starting a program, and not just the time it takes to start that particular program? If there are several new files, or just missing data, it obviously takes even longer.

22. PrevxHelp

Sending data to the database only takes a fraction of a second on top of the execution of the program (of course it is dependent on your internet connection as well, but the round-trip is quite fast).

It is possible that if we don't know enough about a program that we would let it through, but we catch thousands of infections on the first-sighting every day.

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Hi:)

Are there any downsides to running Prevx alongside KIS 2009. I am curious as to how Prevx runs along with the behavioral analysis component of KIS 2009.

24. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Hawki

I have been running Prevx 3.0 from the early beta days alongside KIS 2009 and as I say in my signature line...they go together/complement each other perfectly...if Prevx don't get it then KIS will and vice versa.

A rock solid and resource light security setup IMHO opinion that does the business for me. Give it a try! :D

25. hawki

hawki Registered Member

kk

Thanks for the info :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.