Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to find it :D (FWIW - the update is only for beta users currently)

Self protection is now enabled on x64, but the levels still aren't as strong as the ones on 32bit just because of how the OS is designed but we're going to be rolling out increased protection constantly behind the scenes :)

Thanks for the compliments! Please let me know if you find anything that needs improving/changing. We have a great deal of additional features coming soon as well, this merge was just the first step :)

Also, for what its worth - Prevx CSI and Prevx Edge are now completely merged into Prevx 3.0 (with CSI Cleanup and Edge Protection). This was done to significantly simplify the branding and make it into more of an "a la carte" product rather than having two separate downloads. Let me know if you have any questions!

2. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Don't blame me, your installer works way to fast! :D

Everything's running smooth for now, gonna run some stability tests later on.

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Question about Edge settings: what exactly does 'Only alert me if an infection is found' in Basic settings do? I assume it makes Edge less talkative?

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Me too!:p :p :p

Because v3.0.1.40 is just working far to well...and I need something to test! :D

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But the main Status Window looks washed out here on Vista.

In addition the Security Status indicates that Edge's real-time protection is off.

However, I thought that previously the standalone Edge in evaluation mode gave protection in real time! :doubt:

CPU time may be up here too compared to solo Edge.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

So without going through 3000+ posts,
    how does one become a beta tester?

7. dorgane

dorgane Guest

8. PrevxHelp

Depending on your monitor, the status screen does indeed look a bit washed out - I'll see what our graphic designer has to say :)

Edge only provides realtime monitoring in the evaluation - it won't block threats but it will detect threats and scan (basically a realtime on-demand scanner).

Also, CPU usage should be lower in this version because of optimizations throughout and a simplification of the driver/usermode communication but if you see anything excessively high, let me know so I can investigate further :)

9. dorgane

dorgane Guest

very nice :

prevx.JPG

10. PrevxHelp

We have actually just moved this setting under 'Scheduler' now because it fits more logically there - if unchecked, Edge would show its window after a scan completes even if it is clean. It is set by default and does indeed make Edge less talkative.

11. Martijn2

What's the difference between the "Scan with Prevx 3.0" and "Scan with Prevx Edge" options in the context menu?

12. PrevxHelp

Nothing besides an apparent bug in the updater :D Do you have both entries currently on your system? Ideally it would change it to just say "Scan with Prevx 3.0" however we'll be investigating this shortly to get it fixed in the next build :)

13. Martijn2

Yes, got both entries in my context menu. Quick question, the name "edge" will be replaced by "3.0" ?

Edit: Never mind, answered my own question ;) still see the edge name in the menu.

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Definitely washed out on this laptop monitor. But the least of my worries with any program!

Thanks. I meant detection and not protection previously.

Attached Files:

15. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Thx for the clarification.

16. LoneWolf

New beta looking good. :D
    So far running smooth as can be. :thumb:

17. Baldrick

Got it! Installer was as slick as ever. Yeeha...here we go!!!!! :D

18. Baldrick

I only have 'Scan with Prevx Edge' so perhaps another version of the same issue o_O

19. LoneWolf

20. LoneWolf

Same here.
    No problems so far.

21. Baldrick

Hi Joe

Can you explain the rationale, when you have a moment, of both 'CSI malware Cleanup' AND 'Edge Realtime Protection' taking the user to 'License Information'? Seems a bit pointless if one has a license...or is this just a placeholder for something else yet to be released. ;)...as there is space available under 'Security Status'?

Other than that so far seems to be running a bit lighter both in terms of 'feel/responsiveness of rig' & what I am seeing in Task Manager & Process Explorer.

Well done...goes from strength to strength. :thumb: :thumb:

22. PrevxHelp

This is primarily there just to show them their remaining license duration (shown on the license screen), however, we are planning more things to put under those menus to be a bit less... completely redundant :D

23. Baldrick

Understood...;) ;) :D

24. PrevxHelp

This is indeed an issue - we'll have the next update automatically clear down "Scan with Prevx Edge" by default as it installs so you'll be left with "Scan with Prevx 3.0".

Sorry for the bit of stolen screen real estate in your context menus for a day or so! :D However, if you want to clean up the menu now, if you click Settings > Basic Configuration and untick the "Enable "Right Click" Scanning in Windows Explorer", click Save Changes, and then go back and re-enable it, it will clear down the menu and leave you with a single "Scan with Prevx 3.0" item :)

25. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I tried the Beta download link just after you posted about the upcoming announcement and the was nothing there then - a bit too eager:D
    Anyway, running nicely here - just looking forward to the filling now we have a nice new case to put it in ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.