Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have to admit, at first I thought the way the trial worked was all wrong. But in reality, its really an ingenious idea. The trial lets the user use the program without any time limit but only acts as an identifier of sorts. This gives the user a very good understanding of how the program works and if needed, purchase it for a realtime defense. Plus, Prevxhelp has been a great help on answering any questions that have been brought up. Two thumbs up.:thumb: :thumb:

Ice

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i was tempted and i bought my self 2 copies;)

3. noel1947

noel1947 Registered Member

PrevxHelp

Unbelievable technical support. They have fixed the problem.
    Only approx 2.5 hours from my first contact and I presume it is still
    Sunday in your part of the world.

Best regards

noel1947

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hehe, yeah, I have 6 machines to cover and it's just a little beyond my authority level, the CIO (I) will have to sell it to my CFO (wife).

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:D got it:)

6. N2thuWild

N2thuWild Registered Member

I purchased Prevx Edge about a week ago and I love it. Removed a worm last night and the instructions from Prevx Edge were right on and easy to understand. I also have Geswall Pro. I hope I am not getting off topic but I do have a question. I currently have Norton Internet Security 2009 and a subscription that is no where near running out. Would I be better off with OA Premium Firewall and Avira Premium? That might not be a fair question to ask here but I have been reading this Forum for a while before joining and I know I will get honest and unbiased answers.:) :isay:;) Thanks

7. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If I were you I'd keep NIS 2009. Its detection is outstanding and has minimal impact on system resources.

8. crofttk

I think I saw a post about this before but that's a strange little sweet spot they have in their pricing structure, at 1 year, moving from 1 license to 2 is really cheap, and cheaper yet for more but not as generously so as the movement from 1 to 2. There must be some purposeful business reason for that, but it's way over my merely practical engineer head.*puppy*

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's be fair and stay on the thread topic.

10. N2thuWild

N2thuWild Registered Member

Thanks Ambient88 for the answer:) did not mean to get you noticed and I apologize Ronjor for getting off Topic. This was only my second post and first about software. sorry

11. crofttk

Glad to hear you say that. I have all of my home machines on NIS2009 and the Prevx Edge trial has gone very well on my laptop. It seems so far like a very good potential addition to avoid "all your eggs in one basket"-itis. (On top of WinPatrol+, SWBlaster, MVPShost, OpenDNS and SecuniaPSI - yeah, maybe too many baskets?:p )

P.S. OK, just saw Ronjor's note but my primary interest here IS Prevx Edge, for sure.

12. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks for the head-up.

btw when i installed PrevxEdge, KIS tagged it as riskware.Trojan generic.

13. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Apologies if this has been posted previously, but Joe or EraserHW, can you weigh-in on this topic and Edge's capabilities to detect or prevent it, if possible:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/persistent_bios_rootkits/

Basically rootkits that dump their payload into BIOS to survive reformats.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark.

14. supraseed

supraseed Registered Member

I have the same issue with those files and Prevx using Win7 build 7057

15. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Hello,

yes, it has been demonstrated a BIOS attack. But it's just a proof of concept hardware-dependent and really hard to exploit. That just doesn't mean it isn't impossible, but I would suggest you to read this blog post: http://www.prevx.com/blog/113/SMM-Rootkits-Less-of-a-threat-than-that-link-you-got-IMd.html

It's about SMM rootkits, but the concept is almost the same :)

Kind regards,
    Marco

16. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Thanks Marco - will read it now...!

Best,
    Mark.

17. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I am just thinking about one thing.
    If we scan new malware under VT or other similar multi-scanning engine and Prevx1 doesn't seem to find malware on that file, will it still protect users?
    I mean, if we run malware, Prevx will give a alert about Medium risk malware or something similar? And if it does, it is being sent to Automated malware analysis and if it gets needed info, other users will be protected agains that threat as well?
    Am I right? (sorry for misspelling if there is any)

18. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes, the detections given by VT are only a very very small subset of what we actually detect. They use a cut-down version of the scanner which detects only a fraction of what Edge can :)

19. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Are they/you able to update it ;)?
    Thanks you for replay!

20. PrevxHelp

Sadly no :( All of the scanners at VT are significantly different from the consumer versions just because they have to be run in a different environment. They don't contain any of the behavioral analysis and most have more time-consuming heuristics disabled because of the nature of the service.

21. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker Registered Member

I've noticed quite a few times recently my hard drive activity light running steady for awhile when I have nothing activated to run so I checked my processes and found prevx.exe using about 80-81,000k in memory and 1-3% on cpu activity. I have NOT initiated a scan. What is Edge doing to my computer without any input from me?

22. PrevxHelp

This could sound like a scheduled scan is running - could you check your scheduler settings and see if they're set to approximately one hour around the time the increased activity happens?

23. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Do Age/Popularity heuristics apply to installers?

24. PrevxHelp

They apply primarily to the files after the initial installation but depending on the installer it may also trigger Age/Popularity as well.

25. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker Registered Member

Bingo, that was it. It was scheduled to scan when the computer is off (i.e. I'm at work), but it was checked to scan after bootup if it missed the scheduled time.

I never bothered looking at that before as I never felt the need to do scheduled scanning since I initiallly installed it because of it's realtime protection. Is that perhaps a redundant setting or am I missing something? Thanks for the super quick answer though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.