Introducing EdgeGuard Solo Beta (zero-day malware defense)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eirik, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

2) thanks for the info. :)
    3) I agree with the current implementetion; HKCU is not a critical area. For the moment the only other user security issues that comes in my mind is the schedules and the startup folder.
    4) Exactly. It will provide some protection against malware that encrypts
    files txt, doc, etc. or against worms that delete files like mp3,etc.
    5) :D

Panagiotis

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

This is looking good guys. Three features I 'd like to see implemented are:

1) A right click Explorer option to run a program under Solo and/or add the program to the application list.
    2) Run all programs from a set location as protected (eg. Downloads folder)
    2) Set folders to be excluded from protection.

3. Espresso

Considering IE7 in Vista, is this any better or worse than running IE7 with UAC/Protected Mode turned on?

4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

looking nice this software , but according to the way u make it works "EdgeGuard Solo employs kernel and application level techniques to regulate file system and registry resource access" its hard to think what malware may pass it or not... for hips all deny till u aprove...to sig based software goes if it added to blacklist it will alert otherwise , u get infected.

what based twekas u add to it , its hard 2 know...

anyway if u can add at least some indicator thats show thats protection works for add software

cheers

5. Solo_Support

Solo_Support Registered Member

When UAC is on, EdgeGuard Solo will still protect HKCU Run and RunOnce keys.

Also, as presented in the last BlackHat2008, when IE7 plug-in is implemented in compatible mode (there many including some well-known products), IE7 no longer runs in protected mode, even UAC is enabled. In such case, EdgeGuard Solo still guards IE7. This feature will be enabled in the next release.

Regards

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I did have it on my desktop which is where anything downloaded would reside. Where the malware is shouldn't matter, it's protecting the system, that matters.

Pete

7. pandlouk

Hi Pete,

could you run the same samples from the system or the programs directories?
    - When you run the test with IE it failed to protect the system? This is a serious bug since it means that fails with a drive by download attack. :doubt:

thanks,
    Panagiotis

8. Solo_Support

Solo_Support Registered Member

1) Good suggestion. We will consider this for our development.

2) Thanks for the suggestion. Our approach has been keep the UI very straightforward and make it set-and-forget type of protection. We will certainly consider your suggestion.

"Set folders to be excluded from protection": This is very tricky one since EdgeGuard Solo protects all directories but the user directory. One risk of opening say system32 could jeopardize the applications. Do you have an example case?

Regards

9. pandlouk

The above could help for programs that use ini files in their directory to store the settings and or for exluding a directory that resides in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\.
    Another example is the subdirectories of C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\ it could help in resolving problems with pdf printers. ;)

Panagiotis

10. Espresso

What prompted my suggestion was updating plugins in the Sleipnir browser, but I now realize that you can disable protection immediately instead of closing the program, disabling Solo and restarting so this is not such a problem after all. However, there are many programs that write to areas outside the user directory, so there may be a need for this feature in the future.

11. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Wouldn't install on the real system.UAC off and Admin account.
    Capture.JPG
    Installed into a Vista VM and when FF is protected it won't run sandboxed.

12. Peter2150

Not worth the time. No one in there right mind would download and execute something from there.

Yes I protected IE, and from within IE I ran 3 different things. They all failed. One which was that encryption extortion scheme I would expect to fail. It didn't need admin rights to work. The other two were Killdisk, and a simple virus that infects both drives and hijacks taskmgr. Both failed.

Be curious if anyone else tests it against some real malware.

Pete

13. Espresso

Looks like it couldn't write the Start menu entries.

14. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Would you please clarify what you mean by 'On Demand software'? I don't understand what this means in this context. I've asked one of the engineers to look at the rest of your post.

15. Espresso

You'll need a team of engineers to figure out his posts. And possibly a linguist and a neurologist as well. :D

16. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Guess I picked a bad time to stop sniffing modeling glue!;)

17. Peter2150

Granted there can be language issues and posting style issues, but we don't tolerate personal comments about posters.

Pete

18. Peter2150

I suspect he's talking about the difference say real time protection and being able to turn it on at will. I think this is now possible, but it also points to a need to have a bit more substantial GUI.

Pete

19. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Thanks

20. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Eirik,

Suggestion:

Unless, I am missing something here, but based on your description of the how the product works (and without trying it yet) .................

1) It would be better (IMHO), to guard all user applications\in user application directories, by default, rather than having to specifically include them one by one. Then allow one to easily exclude specific user applications (executables) by user application directories, should an exception be needed. Why not protect all user applications by default (perhaps have an install option that goes thru the start menu, all pgms lists and guards all of the user applications found in the start menu, pgms list, by default ?

2) Also, how about prompting when any unknown "user directory" residing user application executable is about to start executing that is not on the guard list, providing perhaps the option choices of "blocking its execution out right" and "placing in on the Guard List and allow it to execute".

Questions:

Does EdgeGuard Solo:

3) Does it protect against Drive by Downloads, when using Internet Explorer browser ??

4) Does it detect and protect aganist "dll injections" and "code injections" ??

5) Does it prevent writing to the HOSTS File ?

6) Does it prevent unapproved "outbound" communications or is a software firewall needed with it to prevent unapproved outbound communications by user applications or malware applications located in "user directories" ?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  21. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions and questions Joseph.

We are seeking such ease of use improvements. Some executables should not be guarded. So, the approach must be smart enough to make the distinction.

We need to strike a balance between protecting the host from ‘drive-by downloads’ and confusing end-users with prompts to unsophisticated users regarding unfamiliar executables. Another idea along these lines is to have the tray icon indicate such an executable has been blocked. There would be within the agent GUI a window listing recently blocked executable launches from user-space. If a block had disrupted something the user was doing intentionally, such as running GotoMeeting, he/she could uncheck that item in this listing (temporarily or permanently). Ideally, this user-space launch approval would be supplemented with a hash to reduce odds of a spoof.

Not fully. We need to outright suppress such executables from launching. Presently, EdgeGuard Solo prevents such executables from persistently infesting the host. But, such executables could facilitate information disclosures or injection attacks into a targeted applications memory. We can already suppress these launches with EdgeGuard (as in enterprise, centrally managed) where use-cases are less diverse, but for self-managed agents, we need to strike that balance I mentioned. We will do this with ‘ease of use’ in mind.

No. We’ve made a trade-off favoring usability. Suffice it to say, this tends to demand great familiarity with not only the idiosyncrasies of individual applications but also the interactions among them. Ultimately, regulating these interactions complicates (false positives, etc.) the user experience. Never say never, but, our goal is to build an anti-malware solution that stops most attacks with little to no effort or confusion to the end-user.

Would you please elaborate on “HOSTS File”?

No. As we flesh out the rest of our framework, however, we will be able to do so. There’s some cool stuff ahead in this regard.

Cheers,

Eirik

22. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Eirik,

I meant the HOSTS file used by Internet Explorer which is located in the system32/drivers/etc directory which a malware app could write an entry to redirect a common url address that you go to and point it to a differnt ip address.

... Two additional questions"

1. Does it prevent a guarded user application from performing a destructive low-level writing/formatting of the hard drive ?

2. Is there an option to specify which applications are allowed to write and delete files in a specific user directory, effectively making a user directory write and delete protected, from all other applications ? The purpose of this protection would be to safeguard your documents housed in a specific user doucument directory. Also, the "My Doucuments" folder should have this type of protection.
    .... If not, this would be an important feature (File/Folder protection) to add.

23. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

EdgeGuard Solo would block any attempt by a guarded application, such as Internet Explorer, or any spawned executable by it, from writing to the HOSTS file.

I need to ask one of the engineers to provide an accurate/precise answer.

We have several approaches under consideration. Both write and read operations to user-space have risks that must be mitigated. If we fail to make the solution convenient for novice users, history suggests they may disable the feature. We must implement it accordingly.

24. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I was disappointed in the products' lack of effectiveness in blocking Keyloggers. A large number of new malware are being written as vehicles for the installation and camouflage of Keyloggers on the victims computer and are frequently updated to avid detection by Clasical AV's (eg SilentBanker).

Personally I feel that if a supplementary Security application doesn't address the very thing that malware writers concentrate on, that program really has little real world usefulness.

25. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

We will implement a capability to block user-space executables (i.e., drive-by downloads). This will prevent new keylogger applications from running but it would not detect/block those already present.

As we continue to study approaches to address other risks such as with installed keyloggers, we will refrain from implementing them until we can do so in a manner that keeps the end-user experience simple: free of false positives and no knowledge-dependent security decisions by end-users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.