Introducing Diskshot™ - an alternative to Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by dax123, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

DAX, can you post the detailed procedure to how to enable the Bootfetch

2. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Dax, also please let us know: Does the app have an option to use a RAM buffer for the virtualization/sandboxing itself? If not, will such an option be added in the future?

Thanks! :thumb:

3. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I'd really like to try this but afraid to install Korean only version. Anyone else using this? How easy is it to figure out?

4. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

I tried this program in a virtual PC for half an hour and I have to say that is not so easy to use in the Korean language.

Clipboard02.png

Occupies about 5GB of space on a disk with 25Gb.
    Before:

Clipboard01.png

After:

Clipboard04.png

There are two processes that take up about 20Mb of RAM

Clipboard03.png

Frankly, I'll wait for the English translation.
    BTW: thanks @Dax in the pictures with the translation, but not very practical for everyday work.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

From my point of view it would be extremely silly for non-korean speaking people to even attempt to use this.
    For the complete novice these programs are quite difficult to get to grips with without having a language they dont even understand.

Waiting for an english translation would be a safer option i would think.
    Just my opinion anyway.

6. dax123

dax123 Registered Member

Yes, you are right. There is a language barrier that keeps it from popularization.
    this software definately needs to be translated, we need your help to keep pushing developers make it!! this software is just too valuable to be used only in korea!!

you mean, like the physical buffer mode in Wondershare time freeze?
    I'll ask it in the forum :D

time-freeze-07-l.jpg

Yes, as time permits I'll post one for those who need it.
    I'm a little bit busy recently :'(

Thank you for your review!

7. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

8. guest

guest Guest

im not a korean speaker and with practice and a bit dedication , you can grasp it quite easily.

Sure i prefer an english version :D

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

IF DiskShot continues without
    -an English version
    as well as
    -an English section in their Forum,
    then,
    I don't see much of a future.

10. bitbizket

bitbizket Registered Member

Excellent digs Dax!

I set them as follows:

Disabled Preboot Center
    Enabled MBR Protection
    Locked Tray Icon (thanks, the fix works!)
    Auto System Restore in case of boot failure/abnormal shutdown. (Very Handy feature. Tested and it works)
    Manual Restore Only and Commit changes whenever i need to.

Never like CTM, RollbackRX, EAZ-Fix, SysRestore, RestoreIT...
    A nice combi with Keriver 1-Click Restore. (for simple baseline and differential image restore)
    System run smooth as usual.
    No noticeable slowdowns while virtualize.

Detected as a bootkit but not suprised, as expeted a False Alarm with these kind of tool.
    Program no calling home, good.

EAM
    Rootkit.MBR.Prothean.A (Boot image) (B)
    \DosDevices\PhysicalDrive2

Kaspersky TDSSKiller
    Rootkit.Boot.Prothean.a
    Device\Harddisk2\DR2

Hitman Pro
    Master Boot Record (sector 0) - Bootkit
    C:$MBR

Sad to see another underated software go to waste because of language boundaries.

:thumb:

11. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Allow me to add to
    three more words: for English speakers.

The program and its forum seem at a cursory glance to be thriving for Koreans ;)

12. CyberMan969

Yes, this will save SSDs from a lot of hits. Even people without so much RAM could use such a feature. It would be great if users could assign the desired size for the RAM buffer just like in Wondershare, and when that limit would be reached the program could seamlessly switch to a HDD/SSD buffer. It would also be great if users could pre-assign which disk the program should use for the buffer when the RAM buffer is full.

Back in the beginning of the year I planted these ideas with the Toowiz staff hoping that they would be implemented into Time Freeze and was assured by Toolwiz that a RAM buffer could be done by March. It's still not here, so I hope the DiskShot guys can hack it. It can't be that hard to implement, Wondershare has already done it more than two years ago.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  13. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

Hope for the best

14. QVX11

QVX11 Registered Member

Will this work fine with an SSD encrypted with TrueCrypt?

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

:thumb: ...I take a lot risks with my system, beta testing, but I won't be risking it with this.

16. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

I have read through several forums that "Tony", SD's developer, is not from an English speaking background (could possibly be Chinese) and has been having some red tape trouble with his online presence (has been told to remove his site due to spamming and malware infestation, by his local authorities), which together with his need to translate all English communication has presented problems for him. If this is true then it might explain his sudden absence and why a Chinese company now markets SD since version .326...I think it was after version .326 that it appeared from a new source! Rumor also has it that Tony is still working on it to bring out a Windows 8 compatible version soon! The rumor mill still grinds on strong! lol

17. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

Seem to have jumped threads here? Please ignore my intrusion!

18. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Hi dax123,

Do you have any updates regarding the english version of DS@H?

19. dax123

dax123 Registered Member

I'm trying but currently there's no result.

It seems that developers are evading any answers to this. :'(

20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Many security programs from different areas of the world and programs in general cater to the population of that area. You have a right to your own opinion, but you should probably try to understand the point of view of the particular developer before deciding that something is good or bad, will succeed or fail, etc. Just because most nations can speak English, doesn't mean they should be required to use it in everything they do.

If the product is aimed at worldwide usage, then yes, that will end up being an issue. However, it does not look like that is the intent so far, and it could very well be that the developer and team are "getting their ducks in a row" so to speak, and other language versions may be in the works.

21. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

Any ideas why are they hesitant about it?

22. guest

guest Guest

they have only korean keyboards :D

23. CyberMan969

I hope that you are right, and that support for different languages is planned. Providing support for different languages (and especially for chinese, spanish and english since they are the most widely spoken) is the logical thing to do for any self-respecting software developers who are on top of their game. Thinking otherwise in our day and age is plainly foolish, since it will exclude millions of potential customers from trying/buying the software.

Sticking to just a specific market is downright idiotic, especially when considering that just by using simple translations the product could become well known and useable worldwide, and bring in a hell of a lot of extra revenue as a result. If these guys don't care about revenue then why don't they just give away all versions of the software? Why are they "avoiding the issue"?

Is this just a case of "I don't speak english/spanish/chinese etc. therefore I don't give a crap about the gazillions of english/spanish/chinese etc. speakers whose computers could be safer with my program?" Why on earth would they do this, especially with such a promising piece of code? At the end of the day, why would they say no to all the extra revenue that can come from simple translations? This is a good example of how NOT to do business.

24. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, no, it isn't. Just like there are software vendors who cater to a specific type of security market, there are vendors who cater to a specific language market or locations. Maybe this developer doesn't need millions in revenue, maybe they are doing it just because they like to, or there is a need for this type of software in that part of the world. Or, perhaps, they wanted an extra choice to choose from. After all, ShadowDefender is, at best, an unsupported and abandoned project (unless you're willing to put faith in the reports that "Tony" is back..though no one is sure they're speaking to him).

You don't need "millions" of users to be successful. Look at Sandboxie, it's a one man show that certainly doesn't have millions of people using it, and it's still afloat for the time being. This thing is also brand spanking new, and already it's being shot down by people because "Wahh, I can't read Korean!". How about you use "simple translation" services to read what it's about, read the manual and the settings? I'm not being rude, I'm just simply asking you the same question you're asking the developer. I'm also dearly hoping anyone contacting the developer is actually speaking Korean or attempting to translate..otherwise it would be no wonder the developer isn't responding :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  25. newbino

newbino Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.