Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

About updates : does AX64 checks online if there is a new stable version or does the user has to check manually the website to see if something has changed ?

Thanks.

2. William Johnson

William Johnson Registered Member

Excuse me for the newbie questions but I just installed the trail version of AX64.
    I've been using both Acronis and Rollback Rx for years. But really like AX64 so far.

1) I see the "Mount" button and read a bit about it but don't really understand its use. It says for Virtual drive but could someone explain that and why I would need that.

2) How is merging working? Are older files being replaced by the latest files? Or are all versions of a particular file just collected together?

3) If I decide to uninstall Rollback, how do I keep it from being re-installed if I do a "snapshot recovery"?

4) Do most users in your opinion have the hourly updates enabled or just do manual updates?

3. Isso

Isso Developer

Zero3K,

1) Yes, this is a known issue, when restore takes too long, sometimes the console freezes, but the restore still completes.

2) Sorry, I can't tell you the reason for long restore, because in current version the logs are written to the drive that gets restored, so logs are lost. In upcoming version the logs will be saved into the backup folder, so if you experience that problem again, please send to me the logs.

3, 4, 5) - this is really strange, including the long restore time. Do you by any chance have software like Rollback RX or ShadowDefender installed? I'm thinking of some incompatibility issue. Thank you

Isso

4. Isso

Isso Developer

I completely agree. The manual will be uploaded in a few days. Thank you very much for spreading the word!

Isso

EDIT: thank you for the additional information on restoring with Rollback RX installed. I've included your post to KB article on RBX compatibility

5. Isso

Isso Developer

Brian,

I haven't tested, but I think it will happen with pretty much any non-standard MBR. So it's really good that you've figured that out :thumb:

Isso

6. Isso

Isso Developer

Along with GPT/EFI support. In about two weeks.

Isso

7. Isso

Isso Developer

bisteka,

I replied via PM.

Isso

8. Isso

Isso Developer

MerleOne,

Not at this moment, sorry, but we'll add it soon, as I believe it's a very important feature.

Isso

9. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi William,

Welcome to this forum and thank you for trying the program!

Answers:

1) Mount button creates a virtual drive in your system with the content that corresponds to the selected backup (snapshot). I.e. if you select a backup that is one month old and click Mount, you'll see a new drive appearing on your system that will be the exact copy of the drive one month back in time.

Normally Mount feature is used if you want to view or copy some old versions of files or folders. However you don't really need to use Mount for simple tasks, because you can do the same directly from the Backup Browser - just select the desired point in time in the Backups list (top left) and you'll see its files in the right pane. You can drag them, copy or double-click to launch.
    You would need Mount for more advanced tasks - for example to open a file with particular application, or use other features from the Windows context menu (that appears when you right-click on a file)

2) Merging just consolidates the backups, so there aren't too many of them. For example if you enable hourly backup, you'll have 24 backups per day, and thousands per year, which will be pain to work with. Merging groups them together by keeping 3 last hourly backups, then 4-hour backups for the last day, daily for the last week, weekly for the last month, monthly for last year, and yearly onwards.

Within those groups the newest backup overwrites the content of the oldest, i.e. if the program groups together all backups of the week, the files from Sunday overwrite all older files.

3) If RollbackRX is present in the backup that you are restoring, it will be restored, there is no way to prevent it, sorry.

4) I'm using manual backups on my main system. On my wife's system I enabled automatic. It depends on whether you like more control over the process.

Isso

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Isso,

I am not sure if RBRX will be fully restored. RBRX console will not be there at boot time and will be broken. In Windows RBRX will be there but non-functioning and then needs to be uninstalled.

Best regards,

11. William Johnson

William Johnson Registered Member

Thanks for the answers Isso

If I decide to uninstall Rollback, maybe I will just delete prior AX64 backups and start with fresh, new backups. Then I assume I would be ensured that it won't be re-installed at some later date.

12. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The above is true for any imaging program which uses VSS and RBRX.

Things are different with Image For Windows (IFW) and RBRX, if PHYLock is used which is the default for IFW.

Best regards,

13. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Mohamed,

You are absolutely right and we discussed it with Barry a few posts above. I didn't get into details, because William is interested in getting rid of Rollback on restore rather than using it.

Isso

14. Isso

Isso Developer

Yes, I think that's the best approach. If you don't need any of older AX64 backups, you can just delete it's backup folder (AXTM)- it will be the fastest way.

Isso

15. Maniak2000

Maniak2000 Registered Member

Hi all. I'm using trial version of this program and really like it, It's easy and fast. But I have a question. Here's a possible situation, let's say I'm using Ax64 on 2 computers (Main PC and notebook) making backups hourly on main PC and manualy on notebook to the same external drive. After a while when backups from both will pile up, Let's say I'll want to delete all PC's backups and start anew (Reset baseline), while keeping notebook's backups intact, how would I do that? Since all backups go to the same folder, I have no clue what files are from what backup, and deleting (and merging) them one by one from Ax64 interface can take a long time.

And a side question. If backups are set to hourly (on external drive) and I disconnect that external drive from the system for, let's say 3 hours, what will happen? Will backups continue as normal when I re-connect it?

16. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

3, 4, 5) Nope. I think the long restore time was because it was running low on RAM because of VSO Downloader using almost all of it. Here's a link to a list of applications I have installed:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HfjYuePQTKpik_AoBaGg06q4nrU1SmYPEnc0UY3su-4/edit?usp=sharing

17. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi Maniak2000,

Welcome to Wilders! For your questions:

Unfortunately there is no way to delete multiple backups from GUI at this moment, we'll add it later. What you can do is the following (I assume you are not a novice PC user):

Go to AXTM directory. Note the backup files names - they consist of two parts: XXXX-XXXX.axd. First part is a unique volume (partition) identifier. Second part is the backup date in YearMonthDayHourMinSec format. You can note the time that you took your last backup and find the corresponding .axd file. If it's the backup that you want to delete, just select all files starting with the same XXXX and delete them.

For disconnecting the external drive - it's absolutely not a problem, you can disconnect it anytime, even when the backup is running. We tested it pretty well. When you reconnect it, the backups will continue on even hours.

Isso

18. Isso

Isso Developer

OK, thank you I'll check it out. Actually we tested the program on machines with as low as 512 MB of RAM and it was working fine. I'll see if I can reproduce this. Thank you for the software list.

Isso

19. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Quick question, Isso. This thread is becoming a monster to search for info....

What does "ERROR 6 creating media" mean when creating my recovery media to a USB thumbdrive? I upgraded to a new laptop and AXTM doesn't create its rescue media anymore.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind... Apparently, it couldn't format the thumbdrive. I formatted it from Windows Explorer and now it is creating the rescue media.

20. Maniak2000

Maniak2000 Registered Member

Suggeston: Since AX64 back-ups registry among other things, wouldn't it be nice if you could choose to restore only registry instead of a whole image?

21. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

If you're looking for registry backup, here's a nice option:
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Easter is equally looking forward to this release with great anticipation since i now have unexpectedly experienced my very first serious issue with Windows 8 boot failure, and moreover a malfunction of the UEFI/GPT feature.

When i finally can deploy AX64 TM on this unit it will definitely serve to safeguard from anymore such malfunctions crippling a return to a normally functioning system 8 with GPT again.

23. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Clarification on this one. Parts of it will be restored,,,,those parts that Windows can see,,,,,but it will not be functional.

If you do a restore and want to get rid of Rx I would suggest reinstalling Rx so that it is functional,,,and then uninstall it. This way most of Rx will be gone. I think the only thing left might be the shield file (under programs). This can be manually deleted.

PS: its best to use Rxs own un-installer to uninstall Rx. You can find it under Start>All Programs>RollBack Rx.

24. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

Just want to report a minor issue, whether by design or maybe a bug. Whenever I exit the backup browser, it breaks my connection to the windows clipboard and I lose what ever I have copied there. Not a biggie but annoying...

25. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I can duplicate that bug on my PC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.