Introducing AX64 Time Machine - hybrid imaging/snapshot software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Isso, Jan 18, 2013.

1. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

It turns out that the MSE problem has nothing to do with AX64 (or SD). The cause is unknown so I suggested that my son try reinstalling MSE.

TS

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Isso, my son said that no reason was given for the very long incremental backup (while in Shadow Mode). He will send you the logs sometime today.

TS

3. claykin

claykin Registered Member

I sort of figure I'm gonna get a tainted response, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone compared AX64 to Altaro's Oops Backup? They seem to offer very similar functionality while Oops has been out for years and its likely a bit more mature and it seems to support EFI BIOS.

I'll admit I have not done a comparison, but before I dedicate time to evaluating both in detail I thought I'd try to learn from others.

Thoughts? I'm all ears.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

OopsBackup is a file backup solution, mainly designed to save created data while AX64 is more system oriented. When Oopsbackup saves a big file that has been modified, it begins by saving the whole file, which takes a lot of time then perform the comparison with the previous version and keep both the last version and the delta with the previous version. AX64 only saves modified sectors, which is usually considerably faster, except if you have performed a disk defragmentation.

5. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Not at all. Oops can't restore a whole system if the hard drive goes boom.

6. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

@Merle: O.K. no thing. But I'm to which program did you change and why?

@isso: Thanks for the answer..

7. MerleOne

I changed for R-Drive Image. It has improved a lot during the last few years and the Linux recovery media is quite powerful. I can also make scripts quite easily to ease the whole process.

8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Sorry I have not had internet access for a few days and this topic may have been abandoned at this point but,,,,,,it could be an idea that at some time in the future a new version of AX64 is introduced with the suggested crack killer. Then, anyone using a cracked version who wants to get the updated version will need to become a licenced user. Eventually the only cracks available will be very old versions of the program and there will be much less value/point in using them. Following this plan would give AX64 the early publicity it needs and then it puts a stop to it once AX64 is firmly entrenched in the market.

I agree, stealing is stealing but in this case it has value, personally I would like to see those who stole get blocked somehow down the road. Use them now and cut them off when they are no longer needed. Seems fair to me.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  9. MerleOne

Hi,
    I got another issue : I installed AX64 on a HP Netbook PC, a HP210, running Win7 Starter Edition. When I try to create the recovery media, I get a message saying I have to insert Windows installation CD, of course I have none, it was pre-loaded on the PC. And I don't think there was a recovery media creation on this machine (I have to check again).
    Any idea on how to solve this ?

10. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Try searching your C drive for Winre.wim. If it exists, make a \Recovery\WinRE directory and copy it to there.

11. MerleOne

Thanks, will try that !

12. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

I just posted a comment over on the AX64 forum to an idea that another user had started. This idea is being able to rename manual back-ups and being able to change the name of the automatic back-ups. I consider this being able to "bookmark" your image history so you would be better able to remember the state of your system when different back-ups are made. I find myself taking extra manual back-ups just to be able to associate an accurate description to them as it is very hard to remember what an image is by just a time/date or how long ago it was took. I could create a text file and keep info there or keep a log by writing down what changes were made when, but of course I would have to remember to do this (hey getting old here and memory not as good as it used to be). I find the more images I have (especially the automatic ones), the harder to remember what I would restoring to. Also for me, it would reduce the number of manual back-ups that I take as I would be able to just rename the automatic back-up instead of doing a manual one, and it would free up both time and disk space used. Add to this the ability to keep the image from merging into another would be great as it would be a great feature to have to go with the renaming...

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  13. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Thanks to Isso for the 25% discount coupon - much appreciated.

After registration, it only shows the first two letters of the registration name, i.e. Registered to: XX.

When using "automatic hourly backup" after merging completes, the "make backup now" button becomes inoperative. Unticking the automatic backup, closing the software then restarting brings the "make backup" button back to its normal condition. Is this normal for the software?

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My reg name is one letter. Fine with me, it works. :D

15. MerleOne

I do have a WinRE.wim located in :
    C:\Windows\system32\Recovery, I did as indicated and ... it worked. Many thanks !!!

16. speedbump

speedbump Registered Member

It’s possible that I will switch over completely from RBRX to AX64 when AX64 can monitor more that one partition and has a boot-time console but for the time being I need to continue using RBRX also.

Two MBR questions from an “ordinary user.” :)

Consider the following sequence:

1. Install RBRX 10. I understand that this application does something to the MBR but I don’t understand what.

Question 1: Does RBRX modify the MBR anytime after RBRX is first installed? (The reason I ask this will become apparent in Question 2 below)

2. Install AX64 and check “Restore MBR.”
    3. Restore to some snapshot I took with AX64, call it “Snapshot M.”

Question 2: What state is the MBR restored to when I restore to Snapshot M? Is it the state it was in when AX64 was first installed, excluding any changes RBRX might have made since AX64 was installed? I do think this is the case, since AX64 does not appear to modify the MBR. However, if RBRX makes changes to the MBR from time to time, then restoring the MBR to the time of AX64 installation could be a problem.

TIA for the responses I get.
    sb

17. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear sb,

I can answer your above questions, but I will let Froggie to do so.

However, I have a question for you. Why do you want to monitor more than one partition under RBRX?

Best regards,

Mohamed

18. aladdin

Dearest Isso,

Did you get my PM about my website?

If you did, can you answer my PM, it seems like it feel through all these PMs you are doing lately.

Many thanks in advance.

Also, I need 25% discount coupon for Wilders' Member for a family license. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Mohamed

19. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I think that Isso should add that directory to the list of ones to check for the WinRE image before asking for the installation CD.

20. speedbump

speedbump Registered Member

Hi Mohamed,

My hard drive is partitioned into C and D. C has my programs and Windows system files and D has my data files. RBRX monitors both but AX64 only monitors the C drive. If I accidently delete a file from D, I will need to recover it.

Regards, sb

21. MerleOne

Yes, I was just about to mention that !

22. aladdin

Hi sb,

RBRX doesn't protect your hard disk in case of hard disk failure. So, if your hard disk fails, you lost all your data files on partition "D".

A better scenario for you, in case of hard disk failure is as such:

For Partition "C" : This partition contains your OS (Windows) and your Programs. For this you need two kinds of programs:

1. Snapshot Program
    2. Imaging Program.

AXTM, is the only program on the market which does both. It is an imaging program and as well as snapshot program.

For Partition "D" : This partition contains your Data. For this you need a synchronizing (copying) program, such as SyncBack SE, Second Copy 8 or similar programs, where you will be making an exact copy of your partition "D" onto a separate hard drive.

OR

Use Dropbox and sync your data to the clouds. In Dropbox any accidental deletion can be retrieved for one month, for FREE Dropbox. And, for PAID Dropbox, it is much, much longer.

Best regards,

Mohamed

23. Isso

Isso Developer

The Shadow,

I received the logs, thank you. I already replied to your son. Basically AX64 needs to write a "clean shutdown" flag to the disk when the system is shutting down. However when you enter Shadow mode, ShadowDefender doesn't allow AX64 to write to the disk. This causes AX64 to think that the system was improperly shut down and it makes the next backup in "re-synchronizing" mode which takes more time.
    This applies only to the situation when you are transitioning from normal mode to Shadow mode.

Isso

24. Isso

Isso Developer

claykin,

You are right, the functionality sounds the same, but the programs are completely different. As Marc and MerleOne mentioned Oops Backup is a file-based backup solution. This type of program has two important limitations: can't restore the system, and is extremely slow.

That's why AX64 uses Imaging approach rather than file-based.

Isso

25. Isso

Isso Developer

bgoodman,

That's an interesting idea, thank you. Frankly I'm afraid that any method used to make the protection stronger may affect the legitimate users, which I really don't want to do. The exception might be what Panagiotis suggested.

Anyway at this moment our priorities are just improving the program. If I feel that pirating is really affecting the sales, I'll work in the direction that you've suggested. Thank you

Isso

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.